Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 24 Aug 2012, 20:25 (Ref:3124274)   #26
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Love that Dublin layout!
Old 29 Aug 2012, 15:34 (Ref:3126965)   #27
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
If you like somewhere closer to home in Europe, there is always Palma, Mallorca

Attachment 38237

5.355 km or 3.35 miles
Clockwise
But how would you get there?
Old 29 Aug 2012, 15:35 (Ref:3126966)   #28
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love Dublin to, and it makes sense, since there is no place in Ireland for big international racing. Mondello is way to smal for big events.
Old 29 Aug 2012, 16:08 (Ref:3126982)   #29
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner View Post
But how would you get there?
Ferry
Old 29 Aug 2012, 19:38 (Ref:3127065)   #30
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Trondheim

Norway this time and Trondheim

Running clockwise for 4.77km.

Forgot to add track is shown as 15m wide
Attached Thumbnails
Trondheim Earth.jpg   Trondheim Top View.jpg  

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 29 Aug 2012 at 19:58.
Old 8 Sep 2012, 20:44 (Ref:3132968)   #31
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Grand Prix de France Presented by Airbus

OK so we are looking for somewhere to host a French GP, well in Fantasyland where I live, Airbus have stepped forward not only to be title sponsor but have donated part of their huge facility at Toulouse airport for the event as well.

Below is the 3.5 mile design proposal.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toulouse Top View.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	341.7 KB
ID:	38397 Click image for larger version

Name:	Toulouse Earth.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	294.3 KB
ID:	38398

It should be noted that a section of the track is just 10m wide, this would be lined by concrete walls. Another section will have additional barriers as it crosses over a bridge above an access road.

Name:	Toulouse pit close up.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	594.2 KB
ID:	38399 Click image for larger version

Name:	Toulouse Narrow section.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	783.6 KB
ID:	38400 Click image for larger version

Name:	Toulouse bridge.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	620.8 KB
ID:	38401
Old 14 Oct 2012, 22:17 (Ref:3151899)   #32
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
No takers on Toulouse,

Oh well what about Yorkshire in England.

In Fantasy Land the RAF have decided to close RAF Linton on Ouse, with the airfield becoming available for racing and testing.

Name:	Google View.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	38863

The taxiways are all at least 15m wide and this is the width that I've drawn the circuit layouts to. Being a real peri-track there are little kinks and flicks that are't really corners and could be smoothed out in the real world.

First up is one of several race layouts shown within the airfield context.
The circuit runs clockwise
Length = 5.350 km or 3.34 miles.

Name:	Race1 linton.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	302.4 KB
ID:	38864

There are various test and race layouts though the design doesn't easily allow for two events simultaneously.
There are 2 small sections of track which are bi-directional depending on the layout used.

Shown below are some but not all of the other layouts without the airfield backdrop.

Remember sketchup is free to download.
Attached Thumbnails
8 layouts.jpg  
Old 17 Oct 2012, 16:22 (Ref:3153410)   #33
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
SpeedingTortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whoa!! Almost too many layouts to take in I think this is a near perfect test track; there are so many different layouts and corners each with a mix of fast, mid-speed and slow corners and long straights. It also looks like you could put a drag strip on the main runway for racing and straight line testing to complete it. I think my favourite layout is the one on the bottom row, 2nd from the right on the layout guide, although I would have the extra hairpin at the last corner for an extra overtaking opportunity. Very well done
Old 20 Oct 2012, 12:50 (Ref:3154827)   #34
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
I'm thinking that it could be raced on, but on non-race weekends and mid week it would operate like MSV run Bedford autochrome, as a track day venue and race school.
Old 26 Dec 2013, 10:21 (Ref:3347960)   #35
CJDJ500
Rookie

United Kingdom
CJDJ500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gatwick Airport Circuit 2

This is my second idea for a race at London Gatwick Airport. It is 3.18mi long (5.11km) and has 18 corners. I think this is a lot better than the other route I created some time ago, as that is too long. This shorter route should be better suited to more forms of Motorsport.
Attached Thumbnails
London Gatwick Airport Street Circuit Area.jpg   London Gatwick Airport Street Circuit.png  
Old 11 Jan 2015, 00:40 (Ref:3491752)   #36
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
After a year away from this thread

The 3.151km ... 1.97 mile
Pompano Beach Florida.

THe taxi ways here and so majority of the race circuit is 13m wide
Attached Thumbnails
Pompano Beach fl.jpg  
Old 11 Jan 2015, 16:52 (Ref:3491876)   #37
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow am I loving this thread or what!!

We DO have an airport in PR which was abandoned by the military, it was the largest base in the caribbean and now that it's available, there's a promoter that will likely use for racing events.

Please look around the esatern part of Puerto Rico, Roosevelt Roads Navy Base. I opened up a thread just the other day because me and my racing org may have access to one part of the track in the near future to race bikes.
Old 11 Jan 2015, 21:16 (Ref:3491945)   #38
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
The design philosophy of some US military airfields simply don't lend themselves to circuit racing. By having all the runways cross at the same points means there is no central area to work with, added to that each unit tends to have it's own areas. As such there is no perimeter or general taxiways linking between them.

The roads that do link them are exactly that, standard width roads, in some cases these are only semi-prepared - not even tarmac because they were intended for Jeep/Humvee/pick-up style vehicles.

That means you have to use the runways, and given they by their very nature are long and straight, and have few turn of points you end up with very long circuits with long straights.

Roosevelt Roads is slightly different in that it has a parallel taxiway on the main runway, but few others.

Name:	RooRoads1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	44273

I don't think that there is too much more that can be done than something like this ...

Name:	RooRoads2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	44274

The pit straight nearest the ruler box is almost 600m the parallel one behind is 700m and the approach to the "triangle" is 580m of straight after the open esses, with the run away from the corner about 700m .

Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with this type of circuit, I just feel that other styles of airfields and airports offer more.

Like if you ever managed to close Luis Munoz Marin International for a few days.....

Name:	PR1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	44275

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 11 Jan 2015 at 21:34.
Old 14 Jan 2015, 15:45 (Ref:3492778)   #39
Marcus666
Racer

Sweden
Marcus666 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Here's a new airport with possibilitys: Göteborg Säve airport.
Just announced it's closure.

https://www.google.se/maps/@57.77623.../data=!3m1!1e3
Old 14 Jan 2015, 16:13 (Ref:3492781)   #40
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus666 View Post
Here's a new airport with possibilitys: Göteborg Säve airport.
Just announced it's closure.

https://www.google.se/maps/@57.77623.../data=!3m1!1e3
thank you
Old 5 Mar 2015, 00:25 (Ref:3511854)   #41
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cairo Airport R17

SSEC let up and allowed R17 to be an airport circuit, and here was my first bid.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6548007
Old 5 Mar 2015, 14:27 (Ref:3512068)   #42
HPmadness
Rookie

HPmadness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The thing about my track is that it is on an island! It is based in the Toronto airport.
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6548241
Length: 3.1226 km
Attached Thumbnails
Toronto Airport Circuit.png  
Old 5 Mar 2015, 15:22 (Ref:3512095)   #43
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPmadness View Post
The thing about my track is that it is on an island! It is based in the Toronto airport.
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6548241
Length: 3.1226 km
Made for touring cars I presume.
Old 9 May 2015, 22:14 (Ref:3535987)   #44
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Perth International

Another in the occasional series...

Perth International, Australia.

Name:	May 1 Perth International.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	566.8 KB
ID:	45042

More details in my current thread here

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 9 May 2015 at 22:27.
Old 8 Sep 2015, 19:21 (Ref:3572533)   #45
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
How about Bobbington, or as it's now known as or Wolverhampton Halfpenny Green Airport
Attached Thumbnails
Bobbington.jpg   Bobbington2.jpg