Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 20 Apr 2008, 12:25 (Ref:2182046)   #1
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Skislope challenge

With global warming and all, more and more skislopes in touristically highly developed mountain regions worldwide are lacking the amount of snow they require. For this challenge, let me ask you to design a track with extreme altitude changes, that leads up one and leads down at least another (then former) ski slope, with the pitlane and main grandstands being located in the valley below. Thanks in advance for your participation.

(Originally, I had intended this to be yet another weird conceptual track for the OtherWorld(ly) Series, but lack of time for researching the subject now influenced me to offer this concept to you. It's a circuit concept that's rather less likely to be built in reality, because of the environmental issue that is caused by sealing off surface in regions with high occurence of rainfall: You don't want to turn your track slopes into new streams during the winter, because they would flood the pits and everything that surrounds them.)
Old 22 Apr 2008, 20:18 (Ref:2184347)   #2
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haha, there would be a rather large lake at the lowest point on the track from all the water running down Sounds interesting, I will give it a go.
Old 22 Apr 2008, 22:29 (Ref:2184460)   #3
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunatel I gave up on varying altitude type circuits after my last and totally unsuccessful attempt of that Courtenay track last month.
Old 23 Apr 2008, 13:07 (Ref:2184858)   #4
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thinking about this you'll end up with a circuit much like Bathurst in Australia. Where the circuit winds up a hilside along a crest and back down through corkscrew turns that makes the Lagua Seca corkscrew appear like sweeping bends before opening out onto a very fast down hill straight.

Not as steep as a ski slope but probably about as steep as practical for safety.
Old 25 Apr 2008, 20:20 (Ref:2186938)   #5
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is it there a specific site I can google in or is it purely theoric?
Old 26 Apr 2008, 00:02 (Ref:2187027)   #6
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The latter.

bio
Old 27 Apr 2008, 20:45 (Ref:2188563)   #7
Yannick
Veteran

I'm sorry I've forgotten to tell you that this outrageous concept for a fantasy track is intentionally weird. It's just that I like these weird conceptual fantasy tracks. When I find enough time during the summer holidays, I try to come up with something, because the shapes of skislopes require some research.
Until then, I'm curious as to what nickyf1 and other users giving it a try can come up with.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 00:52 (Ref:2188735)   #8
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
perhaps somebody can point out a ski site with a nice contour we can use as a canvas.
Old 1 May 2008, 13:47 (Ref:2191884)   #9
Yannick
Veteran

I'm afraid I'm running into technical difficulties here, LuiggiSpeed. I've just been trying to scan the Austrian Alps with GMap-Pedometer to look for suitable ski slopes, but unfortunately, but all I get are the "red X". I was searching for Hinterglemm. Cortina in Italy might also be worth a try, or Val D'Isere in France - hey, maybe even Aspen, Colorado.
Old 27 Jan 2016, 14:28 (Ref:3608459)   #10
Yannick
Veteran

Now, here's what Red Bull came up with:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkwoK0EfKdc
Old 27 Jan 2016, 16:34 (Ref:3608499)   #11
rubaru
Rookie

United States
rubaru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So you're expecting to drive up and down an actual existing ski slope at that angle? I'm not against it...just need clarification.

If so, here's what I've come up with in my own back yard.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6789024

Last edited by rubaru; 27 Jan 2016 at 16:47.
Old 8 Mar 2016, 23:14 (Ref:3621373)   #12
Yannick
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubaru View Post
So you're expecting to drive up and down an actual existing ski slope at that angle? I'm not against it...just need clarification.

If so, here's what I've come up with in my own back yard.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6789024
Thanks for asking. The initial intention of this challenge was to find a location in a ski resort which would include a mountain with ski slopes leading down more than one of its sides, originating from the top, and the racetrack combining the two. One of the slopes would become the way up, then near the top, they would be connected so motor vehicles could then dip down into the valley along the other slope. And at the bottom, they lap would be completed by a relatively flat stretch leading around the mountain towards the "upward" slope, with this connection including the pit and paddock section.

Your suggestion looks more like Nordic skiing rather than Alpine which was originally intended. Thank you for your contribution. Looks like a fun Nordic track.