Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Apr 2013, 06:13 (Ref:3228913)   #26
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by group2 View Post
The fuel capacity is free for the 6 hour.
Really
Old 4 Apr 2013, 06:15 (Ref:3228914)   #27
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, I was puzzled by that too.
Old 4 Apr 2013, 06:24 (Ref:3228916)   #28
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by group2 View Post
surely fuel capacity is a limited to the size on the homologation papers? On a similar basis I presume the Mustangs all run with correct rear axle and fuel tank size...

The fuel capacity is free for the 6 hour.

Possible explanation on fuel capacity?
Old 4 Apr 2013, 08:13 (Ref:3228946)   #29
Dinkel
Racer

Netherlands
Leusden
Dinkel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Free? But isn't there a period size fuel cell restricted to Fia K?

Seems pretty dangerous to me to haul too much fuel in lightweight racing cars . . .

GT40: Minshaw won the 2010 edition of the Spa 6 hrs in the E-type. The dark blue Clark E-type is always running smooth and top 10ish.

Campagnes Corvette looks like a candidate for 2013.
Old 4 Apr 2013, 08:58 (Ref:3228951)   #30
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sports racers were always free on fuel capacity (although there is a natural cap due to size, my Merlyn ran with 2 x 40 litre fuel tanks) but I was under the impression that GT and saloons had to run to their homologated tanks. Shame if that is not the case
Old 4 Apr 2013, 09:00 (Ref:3228953)   #31
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Its a 60's race man, everything's free!
Old 4 Apr 2013, 09:13 (Ref:3228959)   #32
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinkel View Post
Free? But isn't there a period size fuel cell restricted to Fia K?
Think fuel tank capacity is covered by App J appropriate to the period, and related to engine capacity. Haven't got 60s docs to hand but in 1971 it was max 120 litres for over 2500cc.

Old 4 Apr 2013, 09:18 (Ref:3228961)   #33
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Think fuel tank capacity is covered by App J appropriate to the period, and related to engine capacity. Haven't got 60s docs to hand but in 1971 it was max 120 litres for over 2500cc.

Unless separately homologated... jaguar Mk2 is homologated at 160 litres
Old 4 Apr 2013, 09:30 (Ref:3228967)   #34
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

Glad to hear it!
Old 4 Apr 2013, 10:21 (Ref:3228993)   #35
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
Unless separately homologated... jaguar Mk2 is homologated at 160 litres
Make sure you adjust the tyre pressures Simon!

Think the 'B' has homologated bigger than App J 100 litre as well?
Old 4 Apr 2013, 11:13 (Ref:3229007)   #36
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Tank sizes- 1965 App J is here (page 236) and 1966 is here (page 14)

Think that is what governs capacity we use, unless homologated differently.

Old 4 Apr 2013, 12:07 (Ref:3229037)   #37
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My reading is that the capacity "may in no case exceed" the limits. Is there a reference elsewhere to homologated capacity? I can't see one.
Old 4 Apr 2013, 12:10 (Ref:3229039)   #38
Ben Shuckburgh
Racer

Ben Shuckburgh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm reliably informed that E-Types have a 140l homologated tanks but used even larger tanks at Le Mans.
Old 4 Apr 2013, 12:11 (Ref:3229041)   #39
simon drabble
Veteran

Ben are you in your usual E Type for this race?
Old 4 Apr 2013, 12:21 (Ref:3229050)   #40
Ben Shuckburgh
Racer

Quote:
Ben are you in your usual E Type for this race?
Yes, we are doing it in the e-type but it'll be the first time running it in the 6hrs ....
Old 5 Apr 2013, 09:26 (Ref:3229435)   #41
Robert Farrell
Racer

Robert Farrell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Shuckburgh View Post
I'm reliably informed that E-Types have a 140l homologated tanks but used even larger tanks at Le Mans.
What is the best strategy for long distance races?

140 Litres @ 0.737kg per litre = 103.10 Kg

Is there any advantage carrying the weight? the alternative being more frequent refuelling.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 09:49 (Ref:3229440)   #42
Ben Shuckburgh
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Farrell View Post
What is the best strategy for long distance races?

140 Litres @ 0.737kg per litre = 103.10 Kg

Is there any advantage carrying the weight? the alternative being more frequent refuelling.
At Spa in particular, it can take so long to fuel that if you can eliminate one fuel stop, it's well worth it. A long drive in from the modern pit round to the station then a possible wait for the pumps etc....Also, the longer you can go before fuelling the better, as you get out of "sync" with most other cars reducing the likelihood of queuing for fuel.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 11:29 (Ref:3229467)   #43
Dinkel
Racer

Netherlands
Leusden
The fueling 'sight & sound' is spectacular. Queues may vary in length, but imagine the time fueling 120 litres. It eats time and it is easily a 15 minute killer.

Setting up a 1100 kgs racing car with or without 120 kgs must be quite a puzzle.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 13:35 (Ref:3229513)   #44
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
That was the good thing about the B,one stop for the whole six hours. Before I fitted the big tank,it would take three stops. No brainer.
Old 17 Jul 2013, 17:51 (Ref:3278816)   #45
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Timetable now available :

http://www.roadbook.be/spasixhours/en/timetable.html
Old 17 Jul 2013, 20:04 (Ref:3278853)   #46
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
How long is the race this year.?http://tentenths.com/forum/images/icons/icon25.gif
Old 15 Aug 2013, 11:03 (Ref:3290123)   #47
simon drabble
Veteran

are we allowed to admit getting excited about this yet?
Old 15 Aug 2013, 11:06 (Ref:3290126)   #48
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yup. Just don't make a mess.
Old 16 Aug 2013, 08:20 (Ref:3290599)   #49
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
are we allowed to admit getting excited about this yet?
Well, I'm getting excited about 2014 6hrs. This year have 'only' a shared 90 minute race in GD, but if all goes to plan next year Delta and I will be entering my little Gilbern GT in the main event. Currently resting, it will be Gilbert Gilbern's next big adventure......
Old 16 Aug 2013, 08:24 (Ref:3290601)   #50
Dinkel
Racer

Netherlands
Leusden
Wow Mike, the blue one in the 6 hrs > how cool is that?