Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 Oct 2013, 08:18 (Ref:3311328)   #26
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
There is an Italian prepared sledge with ten reindeer power that flys round any circuit as long as chauffeur is in red nomex.

Always available in September as they don't start marathon preparation until October for end of year jaunt.

È meglio fare attenzione... non è meglio non cry. ..è meglio non ridere im dico perché...
Old 1 Oct 2013, 08:33 (Ref:3311332)   #27
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Dove vuoi testa di questo cavallo?
Old 1 Oct 2013, 08:35 (Ref:3311334)   #28
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Dove vuoi testa di questo cavallo?

Bend over and I'll show ya!! ha ha (we should stop this now!!! ha ha ha )

(Sorry but that IS relevant because its a line out of "Christmas Vacation" with Chevy Chase)
Old 1 Oct 2013, 08:37 (Ref:3311335)   #29
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I didn't say where "should I put" it in anticipation of that reply.
Old 1 Oct 2013, 09:03 (Ref:3311347)   #30
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post
JR, are you running the book? I want a piece of the action on this one!! 2.42 in something nobody has figured out. Yeah right.
at the current rate an FiA Lotus Cortina will be doing that in about 4 years time.
Old 1 Oct 2013, 09:18 (Ref:3311351)   #31
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
There will only be one bet on can do side!

Not sure there is a figure big enough for odds on failure.

May be worthwhile running a book on weather the superstar gang turn up!
Old 1 Oct 2013, 16:34 (Ref:3311547)   #32
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope you as much fun out of your wager as I did,from the one I just won.
Old 2 Oct 2013, 06:19 (Ref:3311762)   #33
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, Terry, that's all very well but I still have a problem with this post, so I'm going to say it if no-one else does:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Quite agree, it, for me used to be the highlight of the year.14 entries into the six hour must have meant something? However, because of my very strong "anti cheating" feelings, its a race I simply cannot be bothered to do in a lower powered car ( by comparison).There was a very good chance this year that I and a couple of work mates from the academy would indeed by using something quite exotic for an atempt at the event.The car I know to have been completely in compliance with the regs was pretty easy to get round in around the
2:42s so would have been resonably competative .Still, as it didn't happen this year as the owner of the car accepted a silly price for the car, he has however promised us a similar car for next year's event. Shakedown hopefully by April 2014, fingers crossed!!!!!!!
So presumably the reference to 'cheating' is not aimed at the frontrunners then? As Simon Drabble says 2.42 is more than reasonably competitive and if all 3 drivers are capable of lapping comfortably at that pace, then, assuming car reliability, it would scamper off into the distance and win by a country mile. Bit pointless anyone else turning up. Do you not see the irony of all the discussion around the alleged dodginess of some of the cars in the race when you say you had, or might next year have access to a fully compliant car that can run consistently 2 seconds faster than the quickest cars in the race, apparently in the hands of drivers who are not to use JR's word the 'superstars' of the historic racing world. I look forward to seeing this entry next year but until we see what it is and who is driving it, you will have to forgive the fact that some of us might have a credibility issue here.

Last edited by John Turner; 2 Oct 2013 at 06:24.
Old 2 Oct 2013, 06:38 (Ref:3311765)   #34
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
John you have encapsulated our thoughts very succinctly.

I have to say I was not sure even about the 14 entries to 6 Hour but maybe that included times Terry was part of the support crew when he worked at CMS.

Let us keep it factual or if a wish be open about it otherwise the thread will, like the race itself, be at risk of devaulation!!
Old 2 Oct 2013, 08:11 (Ref:3311787)   #35
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I assumed it was all just a big wind up. (The proposed 2014 entry, not the race!)

Old 2 Oct 2013, 10:05 (Ref:3311811)   #36
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Kept us all amused for a couple of days!

I've booked extra rooms
Old 3 Oct 2013, 08:14 (Ref:3312164)   #37
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Kept us all amused for a couple of days!

I've booked extra rooms
I booked the hairdressers meself xx
Old 3 Oct 2013, 09:00 (Ref:3312183)   #38
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Stop press! First images of Terry's 2:42 car launched.

"Yes it's all a big wind up" commented Bower. "The car looks pretty hopeful, and my co-drivers (N. Oddy and B. I. G. Ears) and I are hoping to avoid the queues at the petrol station just as soon as we've built our biceps enough."

Rumours of a lighting system powered by Fairy Dust still surround the mysterious entry which has been given FIA papers straight away.

(Yes, it's a quiet day here in Racewear Towers)
Attached Thumbnails
Wind-up.jpg  
Old 3 Oct 2013, 09:05 (Ref:3312185)   #39
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
bring on many more quiet days - your post is very good!
Old 3 Oct 2013, 10:29 (Ref:3312220)   #40
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

That is very clever!
Old 3 Oct 2013, 11:43 (Ref:3312268)   #41
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Superb, Max!

Old 3 Oct 2013, 12:04 (Ref:3312292)   #42
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Brilliant Max!!!
Old 3 Oct 2013, 14:34 (Ref:3312356)   #43
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've looked at the picture, and it is clearly a wind-up!

The key to it all is what is sticking out of the back of the boot
Old 3 Oct 2013, 17:18 (Ref:3312430)   #44
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I can't see that winning anything, but I don't mind joining with the "winding" team !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 3 Oct 2013, 17:50 (Ref:3312451)   #45
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Steady on Gordon, do you know how many times the car will need winding up during a six hour race? You could be in for a lot of hard work, and supposing you over wind? Can you imagine the danger of the spring snapping in a crowded pit lane?

How will the lap times be affected as the spring winds down?

No! No! No! The whole venture is fraught with unconsidered variables, best let some other mug volunteer. (Mike Bell for instance)

Amongst the factors that seem likely to cause serious problems is the effect on the aero as the key turns. One minute it's acting like a tail fin then it turns into a flat wing half way round a corner, the driver will not know what to expect at any particular moment.

Ask yourself what would Chapman have thought of it?

Mr. Grouser.

PS; Why do elephants have big ears?
Old 3 Oct 2013, 23:13 (Ref:3312559)   #46
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Because Noddy won't pay the ransom?
Old 4 Oct 2013, 06:15 (Ref:3312617)   #47
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
No! No! No! The whole venture is fraught with unconsidered variables, best let some other mug volunteer. (Mike Bell for instance)
I've already got one project lined up for 2014 Spa 6hrs! We will be looking and hoping for 3:15 lap times- the clockwork mechanism could be useful in achieving that....

Old 4 Oct 2013, 06:27 (Ref:3312619)   #48
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Because Noddy won't pay the ransom?
Boom! Boom!
Old 4 Oct 2013, 07:17 (Ref:3312628)   #49
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Fear not Mr Bauble, the key unwind has been cleverly designed to be in synch with the big stops required at Spa. There is period precedence for this:

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/mercedes-benz-air-brake/

and the system has been fully approved under Appendix K.

He's in with a shout if all goes like clockwork.

Last edited by John Turner; 4 Oct 2013 at 08:39.
Old 4 Oct 2013, 07:29 (Ref:3312632)   #50
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
This is all getting a bit silly as I'm a non joking straight laced person !
Right I'm off to work, now where did I put the key to my SmartCar ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !