Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 2 Jun 2018, 18:50 (Ref:3826293)   #426
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Makowiecki could not even get past the lapped car of Kim Luis Schramm (who he?) while he was in the slipstream. Took him multiple laps to get past.

I am not sure if there are any blue flags, but if there are I cannot see them.
Old 2 Jun 2018, 19:30 (Ref:3826294)   #427
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Right rear light not wotking on the #7 Bentley.

Number panels not lit on numerous cars. Not sure if they have to or not.
Old 2 Jun 2018, 19:44 (Ref:3826296)   #428
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Crap! Once again they put a safety car after they went FCY - for a single lap.
Who is making those stupid decisions ?

This is NOT motor racing, John. This is stupid.
Old 2 Jun 2018, 19:52 (Ref:3826297)   #429
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
... And another FCY. See what you caused there by that stupid Safety Car, race control?

EDIT: And another Safety Car to bunch everything up.
Do you really have to be brainless to aplly to be a race director?

Last edited by gert; 2 Jun 2018 at 19:58.
Old 2 Jun 2018, 19:56 (Ref:3826298)   #430
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Another FCY that turns into a SC 🤨
Old 2 Jun 2018, 19:58 (Ref:3826299)   #431
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This seems to be the SRO latest thing. Use the FCY to slow everyone down, then bunch them up. It's very odd.
Old 2 Jun 2018, 20:51 (Ref:3826309)   #432
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
If the teams were aware of the SRO SC-follows-FCY trick, then I fail to see why anyone would take the short pitstop at anything else than the very last stop?
Old 2 Jun 2018, 21:29 (Ref:3826313)   #433
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
15min to go.
FCY.

What's next? A Safety Car?

--
Why no Safety Car now?
Stupid inconsistent race control !
Old 2 Jun 2018, 21:32 (Ref:3826314)   #434
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How did Costa lose so much time under the FCY?

Seems it was just one of those weird things with FCY, didnt lose much, if any. Sorry.

Last edited by tux; 2 Jun 2018 at 21:37.
Old 2 Jun 2018, 21:46 (Ref:3826315)   #435
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
How did Costa lose so much time under the FCY?

Seems it was just one of those weird things with FCY, didnt lose much, if any. Sorry.
He didn't. The distance (in meters) was the same, it just took him longer (in time) to get from point A to point B than at full racing speed.
Old 2 Jun 2018, 21:48 (Ref:3826316)   #436
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
So, a race that could have gone the way of McLaren, Ferrari and Bentley but finally Lexus takes it on the very last lap.
Old 2 Jun 2018, 21:55 (Ref:3826318)   #437
JoeW04
Veteran

JoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Decent race. How come no other teams have gone for the Lexus? Is it the after sale support or something else?
Old 3 Jun 2018, 00:56 (Ref:3826328)   #438
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeW04 View Post
Decent race. How come no other teams have gone for the Lexus? Is it the after sale support or something else?
I wonder the same thing myself but it's almost the same situation as the Nissan. There's a few customer Lexus RC F's in Japan.
Old 3 Jun 2018, 13:19 (Ref:3826499)   #439
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gallery from Silverstone Endurance round

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcaLmXb
Old 4 Jun 2018, 12:16 (Ref:3826720)   #440
Badlands99
Racer

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Badlands99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Okay ...........

Couldn't catch the race live on Saturday but managed to watch the whole thing on Sunday without knowing the result.

I understand all of the complaints and observations ref BOP etc ..... BUT from a spectators point of view, what a brilliant race. There appeared to be wheel to wheel racing for almost the entire six hours - the third hour provided some fantastic viewing for the battle for 4th place that had a group of nine cars fighting it out for well over 60 minutes. Six hours of racing and the result decided on the last lap - that will do it for me every time!

I get that some cars were hampered by whatever BOP hand they had been dealt but the whole idea of GT3 racing is to provide close competition where one manufacturer is not allowed to dominate and this certainly didn't disappoint.

We have all seen various race series die because one manufacturer was allowed to walk in, dictate the rules, spend huge sums and cause all other teams to walk away when they don't stand a chance of winning (Peugeot have been guilty of this on many occasions WRC in 80's, WEC at end of Gp C era) and IMHO I believe that SRO for all their faults have got this one just about right and police the series without resorting to excessively heavy handed control and taking too much notice of individual manufacturers whims - ACO please take note!

Great showcase for all manufacturers involved and a big 'well done' to Emil Frey Racing on their first victory!
Old 4 Jun 2018, 22:10 (Ref:3826863)   #441
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands99 View Post
Great showcase for all manufacturers involved and a big 'well done' to Emil Frey Racing on their first victory!

Can't agree more. Excellent race at Paul Ricard. The best way to pay for a lovely moment is to enjoy it.
Old 4 Jun 2018, 23:22 (Ref:3826874)   #442
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Gearbox/transmission whine.
Thanks, i wasn't sure because im pretty sure that the current version of the Huracan doesn't make this sound and it seems unlikely that they would change the mechanical specification of the car with this update kit.
Old 5 Jun 2018, 00:47 (Ref:3826882)   #443
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
In a way I can understand the complaints about the BOP.

The Lamborghini is slow in a straight line, it's almost impossible to get past someone.
The Ferrari is not exactly better off, and the Porsche is about the worst: it may be as fast as anything over a lap (not even that) but is is only fast in the useless spots of the track (a few corners)
Hello friend, ive found the speed trap data from Paul Ricard. https://www.blancpain-gt-series.com/...meeting_id=100

It makes interesting reading, it seems the Mercedes is consistently the slowest car in a straight line.
Old 5 Jun 2018, 09:46 (Ref:3826917)   #444
GregoryDG
Racer

Belgium
Ghent, Belgium
GregoryDG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Okay ...........

Couldn't catch the race live on Saturday but managed to watch the whole thing on Sunday without knowing the result.

I understand all of the complaints and observations ref BOP etc ..... BUT from a spectators point of view, what a brilliant race. There appeared to be wheel to wheel racing for almost the entire six hours - the third hour provided some fantastic viewing for the battle for 4th place that had a group of nine cars fighting it out for well over 60 minutes. Six hours of racing and the result decided on the last lap - that will do it for me every time!

I get that some cars were hampered by whatever BOP hand they had been dealt but the whole idea of GT3 racing is to provide close competition where one manufacturer is not allowed to dominate and this certainly didn't disappoint.

We have all seen various race series die because one manufacturer was allowed to walk in, dictate the rules, spend huge sums and cause all other teams to walk away when they don't stand a chance of winning (Peugeot have been guilty of this on many occasions WRC in 80's, WEC at end of Gp C era) and IMHO I believe that SRO for all their faults have got this one just about right and police the series without resorting to excessively heavy handed control and taking too much notice of individual manufacturers whims - ACO please take note!

Finally someone is making sense in this thread... I cannot understand all the criticism for a championship with 11 brands officially represented. Just stop whining and enjoy the close racing!

What I don't agree on however, is the inconsistency with the FCY and safety cars. It's great to bunch everybody up after an incident, but I don't understand why there wasn't a safety car at the end.

Spa 24 might be pretty epic...
Old 5 Jun 2018, 10:11 (Ref:3826919)   #445
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
The other good thing about the race at Paul Ricard was it was partly in the dark - so those psychedelic paint markings don't hurt your eyes so much!

Joking aside what I saw of the race (about the last 3 hours on and off) was pretty good. Really got shaken up in the dying laps and a last lap pass for the lead - great stuff (and the Lexus sounds almost as good as the Bentley).
Old 5 Jun 2018, 17:35 (Ref:3826988)   #446
Badlands99
Racer

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Badlands99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
The other good thing about the race at Paul Ricard was it was partly in the dark - so those psychedelic paint markings don't hurt your eyes so much!

Joking aside what I saw of the race (about the last 3 hours on and off) was pretty good. Really got shaken up in the dying laps and a last lap pass for the lead - great stuff (and the Lexus sounds almost as good as the Bentley).
Agree with all of that .......

One of the things that I really enjoy about the Blancpain series is that the SRO are not scared to try different things ........... sprint races, 3 Hours, 6 hours, 24 hours, night races (Misano last year) and then admit when things don't work and change it! Met Mr Ratel very briefly in Spa two years ago and and had a very short conversation with him and IMHO this guy has got his head screwed on and just knows how to do it!

Really looking forward to my second visit to Spa 24 hours this year - what price an Aston pole position? And a Lexus win?
Old 6 Jun 2018, 12:27 (Ref:3827139)   #447
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Finally got around to watching the Paul Ricard race and was a lot of fun. I'm not overly worried about the BoP situation as some cars are going to be slower in a straight line - that's one of Ratel's aims; to reduce the need to develop advanced aero for GT3s - anyway, a couple will no doubt be sandbagging before suddenly being at the front at Spa.

Looking forward to Spa more and more now.
Old 6 Jun 2018, 12:58 (Ref:3827143)   #448
GregUK
Racer

GregUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
what price an Aston pole position?
The Aston got badly mugged at the start. I think that Wattie was right when he said that the car had gone into 'limp-home' mode. They need to sort that!

Then both the R-Motorsport Astons had front wishbone failure. It might have been a bad batch, but they need to sort that too.
Old 6 Jun 2018, 16:20 (Ref:3827195)   #449
JorritVD
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
JorritVD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I wonder the same thing myself but it's almost the same situation as the Nissan. There's a few customer Lexus RC F's in Japan.
Similar with other manufacturers like Callaway, McLaren and Aston Martin.

It has mostly to do with a couple of things why especially f.e. Audi and Mercedes have a lot more GT3 cars sold:
A) They have more reliability in endurance races.
B) They have better customer support
C) They (can) give more and bigger discounts

It maybe is also more about the region, while Nissan is well represented in Asia (Super GT and Blancpain Asia), Aston Martin is well represented in British GT.

With Nissan's exit from Supercars down under, I hope they will increase their GT3 programs with full time factory (supported) entries in IGTC and North America and more customers as well.

But people like an R-Motorsport or Emil Frey don't want to be just another Audi or Mercedes customer. They have the resources and than you can see with a good BoP and team the cars can run at the front as well like an Audi or Merc.

Last edited by JorritVD; 6 Jun 2018 at 16:25.
Old 7 Jun 2018, 15:31 (Ref:3827424)   #450
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregUK View Post
Then both the R-Motorsport Astons had front wishbone failure. It might have been a bad batch, but they need to sort that too.

Or too old batch?