Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 20 Mar 2010, 20:06 (Ref:2656781)   #1151
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
PDS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I understand Dynamics have done wonders with the Civic over the winter!

With Matt Neal and Shedden back in the car... you can't rule them out for some wins during 2010.

As for running for the championship? Lets wait and see how they perform.
Old 20 Mar 2010, 21:31 (Ref:2656827)   #1152
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
From what I've heard you couldn't be more wrong, negotiations started on the basis of Collard being the lead driver.

Whatever you think of him as a driver Collard is very good for the sponsors. On track he's always in the thick of it, which means more TV coverage and thus more exposure for the sponsors. Out of the car he has no problem doing TV interviews (some drivers struggle to string a sentence together on camera) and always got the Airwaves tag-line in.

I'm sure at this point the usual suspects will chime in with a rant about driving standards but that's missing the point.
There are those that say that all publicity is good publicity. There are also those that think that negatively charged publicity is not good. You are a strong believer of the first, but realize the other POV also exists. Once you do, the pattern
Airwaves in -> Airwaves out -> Collard switches team -> Airwaves back in
will not be so strange.
Old 20 Mar 2010, 22:17 (Ref:2656879)   #1153
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Cue usual suspect number one.

Sorry stedevil, but you are just plain wrong. Airwaves withdrawing sponsorship had nothing to do with Collard, and Airwaves coming back had nothing to do with Collard leaving.

Last edited by Hazard; 20 Mar 2010 at 23:03. Reason: Request by poster
Old 21 Mar 2010, 06:05 (Ref:2657040)   #1154
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Cue usual suspect number one.

Sorry stedevil, but you are just plain wrong. Airwaves withdrawing sponsorship had nothing to do with Collard, and Airwaves coming back had nothing to do with Collard leaving.
Tend to agree although it is strange that airwaves have done a "U Turn" but I dont see this being linked to Collard leaving as Dave Bartrum had announced a while back he had a firm sponser lined up.

Collards a good paying driver and deserves his place on the grid, if he was actually being paid by a team to compete then maybe there's doubt.

Im suprised not all the paying drivers are queueing up for the RML Cruze as its clearly going to be the package to beat.
Old 21 Mar 2010, 07:36 (Ref:2657063)   #1155
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby View Post
Could it be he's signed but not revealing his hand, that games been played on many occasions with drivers/teams.
Perhaps - the rumours are the Turkington family are no beggars - whether that's true I don't know but having a sponsor to pay your racing is far better than writing the cheques yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDS View Post
I understand Dynamics have done wonders with the Civic over the winter!

With Matt Neal and Shedden back in the car... you can't rule them out for some wins during 2010.

As for running for the championship? Lets wait and see how they perform.
You just know Steve Neal will have bargained some special allowances for the Civic from TOCA.

As for everyone's optimism that the Cruze will walk the championship, I'm not sure. The Dunlop tyres aren't proven on it but RML will presumably work around that pretty quickly. And if McDowell is to be in the second car we'll need to see what he can do in his first BTCC season - Jackson & Plato in the Lacetti last year were a superb pairing.
Old 21 Mar 2010, 08:56 (Ref:2657082)   #1156
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
Perhaps - the rumours are the Turkington family are no beggars - whether that's true I don't know
Google "Turkington Holdings"
Old 21 Mar 2010, 18:42 (Ref:2657336)   #1157
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
Quote:
Perhaps - the rumours are the Turkington family are no beggars - whether that's true I don't know but having a sponsor to pay your racing is far better than writing the cheques yourself.
Colins dad can afford what WSR need..
Quote:
You just know Steve Neal will have bargained some special allowances for the Civic from TOCA.
Yes, he already has!
Quote:
As for everyone's optimism that the Cruze will walk the championship, I'm not sure. The Dunlop tyres aren't proven on it but RML will presumably work around that pretty quickly. And if McDowell is to be in the second car we'll need to see what he can do in his first BTCC season.
The Cruze is a different beast compared to the Lacetti. I am also lead to believe that it is not running the same engine as it's predecessor. More like a proper S2000 engine as oppossed to the Super Tourer engine used last season...

As for McDowell, when he tested for Airwaves BMW at the end of last year he was as quick as Collard and Adam around Brands.
Old 21 Mar 2010, 18:49 (Ref:2657341)   #1158
FBJim
Rookie

United States
FBJim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Colins dad can afford what WSR need..
I don't think Colin will be keen on paying for his ride the season after he won the drivers title.
Old 21 Mar 2010, 18:56 (Ref:2657345)   #1159
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
He'll do what he needs to do. This year there is no shame in privately funding your drive. Not doing anything in 2010 could well do more damage to the Turkington brand than the cost of paying WSR to run the BMW for him.
Old 21 Mar 2010, 19:23 (Ref:2657350)   #1160
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJim View Post
I don't think Colin will be keen on paying for his ride the season after he won the drivers title.
Which totally explains why he may not have a drive!!!

As Alfa Fan says, there is no shame in privately funding your own drive..

Bottom line is, does it really matter WHO pays for it???

Personally I think he should be out there and am amazed after speaking to him a couple of times that he will not appear..
Old 21 Mar 2010, 20:15 (Ref:2657392)   #1161
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well it depends. Would any of us here consider GBP500K of our own money spent on a season of BTCC racing an 'investment' ? What return could we expect on it ? Touring car racing at any level doesn't pay millionaire salaries.

Last edited by davyboy; 21 Mar 2010 at 20:20.
Old 21 Mar 2010, 21:28 (Ref:2657452)   #1162
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Well it depends. Would any of us here consider GBP500K of our own money spent on a season of BTCC racing an 'investment' ? What return could we expect on it ? Touring car racing at any level doesn't pay millionaire salaries.
Is that the going rate for a season of competitive BTCC racing?

Does that include buying the car outright or merely "renting" it off a team?
Old 21 Mar 2010, 22:12 (Ref:2657473)   #1163
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't remember where I saw it, but when TOC got the Vauxhall drive in '08 I read somewhere that it cost something between £500-£750k. So yeah, £500k for a competitive season in a "rented" car doesn't sound too far off.
Old 21 Mar 2010, 22:25 (Ref:2657483)   #1164
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
If that money is paid by a profitable company then its a 100% tax writeoff for advertising and marketing. So it wouldn't cost Turkington money personally. It would just be less money Turkington Holdings has to pay the tax man for company tax on their profits. Putting Turkington Holdings on the side of the car sounds like a good investment to me and is a lot better than sending that money to Alastair Darling!
Old 21 Mar 2010, 22:27 (Ref:2657485)   #1165
Spanner monkey
Racer

England
Norwich
Spanner monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
rumours about RML charging 40k per race weekend payed up front! No money in the bank the car doesnt leave the workshop! Hence no huge que for chevys although they seem one of the best cars around
Old 21 Mar 2010, 22:31 (Ref:2657487)   #1166
trebor901
Racer

trebor901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thats £400,000 for a season, surely they wouldnt charge that much if you wanted to do a full season with them would they?

if they're there with the Cruze this year then it will be one of if not the strongest car out there along with the BMW's and Focus' but 400k? is that how much any other team would charge for a season? if it is i can see why people are struggling
Old 21 Mar 2010, 23:22 (Ref:2657520)   #1167
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Is that the going rate for a season of competitive BTCC racing?
NO!

All teams charge differently. None are that much..
Old 22 Mar 2010, 08:03 (Ref:2657656)   #1168
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Yea, I remember back in the latter part of the super touring era their cars cost something like £250,000 or was it £450,000? I always get confused between the cost of the then super touring cars and the cost of the World Rally Cars...?
Old 22 Mar 2010, 15:15 (Ref:2657858)   #1169
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Chevy confirms official entry; http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=1847
Old 22 Mar 2010, 15:28 (Ref:2657869)   #1170
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
NO!

All teams charge differently. None are that much..
Ahem... not sure where you're getting your information from but a seat in some teams is costing around the GBP500K mark. I agree that there are plenty of teams that are cheaper than that and some of those may equip you with the chance of getting up front occasionally... but it doesn't get away from the fact that a seat in some teams is around the GBP500K mark.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 15:57 (Ref:2657884)   #1171
kezza7
Racer

England
Retford
kezza7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RML confirm Plato, Macdowell and Works Chevrolet Cruze.

Tweeted by RML group.

http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=1847

^ sorry, missed that

Last edited by kezza7; 22 Mar 2010 at 16:02.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 15:57 (Ref:2657886)   #1172
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The way I'm seeing the RML deal:

Silverline funding Plato
MacDowell funding his own drive
Chevy UK funding RML's costs.

Curious that Chevy UK are now officially involved (as a Manufacturer I presume), when there's no other works competition (unless they're counting Honda Racing/TD).

I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 16:00 (Ref:2657889)   #1173
tin-top fan
Rookie

England
tin-top fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what we all expected Website for the team here: http://www.chevroletbtcc.co.uk/
Old 22 Mar 2010, 16:03 (Ref:2657890)   #1174
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
The way I'm seeing the RML deal:

MacDowell funding his own drive
Clear to see from the ECM logos on the car. Perhaps Chevrolet UK have struck a deal with Ray MacDowell to use ECM for their vehicle logistics also?
Old 22 Mar 2010, 16:04 (Ref:2657891)   #1175
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst I'm delighted by this decision by Chevrolet and it's great to see Plato back again, I'm curious as to why Chevrolet decided to enter as a manfacturer. With no others confirmed (that we know of), I find it a bit strange really. I'm sure the privateers will give them a run for their money though and looking forward to seeing what tomorrow brings!