Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 5 Jun 2018, 14:18 (Ref:3826955)   #8451
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasperG View Post
I bet current gen F1 car is quicker when not run without rules restrictions, maybe even with the current rules, we will see at SPA.
i think that is unlikely as the porsche engine plus aero plus hybrid system charged up to max plus no regs to adhere to is just about the high point of current racing tech where as f1 restrictions just strangle the f1 cars.
Old 5 Jun 2018, 14:23 (Ref:3826957)   #8452
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by valedave View Post
Do you mean try and "break the record"? You may be right, although I wouldn't say it's a foregone conclusion that a current-gen F1 car is quicker around the Nordschleife than this EVO thing.
Would a current F1 car even be allowed to go round Nordschleife?
Old 5 Jun 2018, 14:38 (Ref:3826960)   #8453
valedave
Racer

United Kingdom
valedave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridvaledave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridvaledave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post

As long as you book the circuit I think you can pretty much do what you want, can't you?
Old 5 Jun 2018, 15:00 (Ref:3826962)   #8454
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Didn't BMW run one around there a few years ago? (when they owned Sauber)
Old 5 Jun 2018, 15:12 (Ref:3826964)   #8455
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
This makes me unreasonably angry and I'm not really sure why...

Bellof's time was set in qualifying for a sanctioned, official event run to a certain set of regulations. It's part of Porsche's history, and a fantastic part of it to boot. It should be celebrated (as it has been), especially given what happened to that great talent two years later.

It just doesn't sit right with me if they go and smash that record using a car that isn't homologated or running to any set of rules, isn't competing in a race event and has unrestricted access to the circuit with no other cars to act as a distraction. The Spa time was a bit of fun, I guess, and good PR ("Quicker than F1!") – whatever. But I really really hope they don't go big on this one.
It's a very impressive laptime for sure, none of the modern supercars and track day hypercars get anywhere near close to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post

They did, though the car wasn't run in anger IIRC.
Old 5 Jun 2018, 15:17 (Ref:3826966)   #8456
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Nick Heidfeld did in 2007, so fair enough then.
Old 5 Jun 2018, 15:35 (Ref:3826968)   #8457
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkwZbu-aaX4

Title is clickbaity, as the car did two full laps and the best time was 6:30. Rest of the fast laps were not full as the car went to pits.

In the video he predicts under 5 min lap based on marshall posts, time advantage vs. GT3 RS and other not so scientific points...

Quote:
The 919 passes Breidscheid which is roughly 9.5 km down the track) at 2:12. GT2 RS does that at 2:42 sec which is a 30 sec difference. or 132 vs 162 sec = 0.81 difference

The next section that we can hear is Bergwerk, Marshall post 125A. 2:23 sec for the 919 vs 3:01 for the GT2 RS or 143 and 181 sec and 0.79 difference.

The last section we hear about on the radio is almost at the end of the track, Pflanzgarten, marshall post 170 where the car does 4:00 opposed to 5:13 for the GT2 RS. 313 sec vs 240 sec = 0.76 times slower

With current time difference this would mean that the final lap time of the 919 would already be below 5:30. But the gap will increase because the car is constantly traveling faster and it has another 4 km to go.

If we apply the factor 0.76 to the final lap time of the GT2 RS which was 6:47 or 407 sec, we will get 309 sec for the 919, or 5:09. This is already DAMN IMPRESSIVE, however the actual theoretical lap time should be EVEN LOWER because the difference will only grow as long as the distance increases because the car is constantly faster.

Last edited by deggis; 5 Jun 2018 at 15:48.
Old 5 Jun 2018, 15:54 (Ref:3826972)   #8458
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
As long as you book the circuit I think you can pretty much do what you want, can't you?
Testing restrictions might stop that with a current car (current as in 2017-18 car). If I remember correctly older than 2 year old cars are free to be used. FIA rules and circuit grades have nothing to do with this as a private test is obviously not a sanctioned event.

The BMW-Sauber years ago was just a demo run and it didn't try a fast lap. They did put out a claim of "5:15" lap based on simulations. Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA2yYohW1Vs
Old 5 Jun 2018, 16:26 (Ref:3826975)   #8459
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Testing restrictions might stop that with a current car (current as in 2017-18 car). If I remember correctly older than 2 year old cars are free to be used. FIA rules and circuit grades have nothing to do with this as a private test is obviously not a sanctioned event.

The BMW-Sauber years ago was just a demo run and it didn't try a fast lap. They did put out a claim of "5:15" lap based on simulations. Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA2yYohW1Vs
That puts a different complexion on it and is what I was trying to get at.
Old 5 Jun 2018, 17:09 (Ref:3826984)   #8460
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Car built with no rules is faster than car built with rules.

Yeah fine it's a new record, but not really. Bellofs record is still the fastest in a race built car in a real sessions.

919 Evo is an interesting experiment but not much more than that.
Old 5 Jun 2018, 17:13 (Ref:3826985)   #8461
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep. Agreed. Sometimes, I struggle to contain my excitement. Reminds me of a certain 'comedy play' by Shakespeare........
Old 5 Jun 2018, 17:39 (Ref:3826989)   #8462
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Yep. Agreed. Sometimes, I struggle to contain my excitement. Reminds me of a certain 'comedy play' by Shakespeare........
Well in 11 days we will all be living " a midsummer nights dream"
Old 5 Jun 2018, 17:41 (Ref:3826990)   #8463
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nice one......
Old 5 Jun 2018, 17:53 (Ref:3826994)   #8464
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Well in 11 days we will all be living " a midsummer nights dream"
The summer solstice isn't until the 21st of June.
Old 5 Jun 2018, 18:14 (Ref:3826997)   #8465
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The summer solstice isn't until the 21st of June.
Old 5 Jun 2018, 18:17 (Ref:3826999)   #8466
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Ah, but who's going to argue over a few day's worth of 'artistic licence'......?
Old 5 Jun 2018, 18:30 (Ref:3827008)   #8467
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
if you are splitting hairs try a new conditioner
Old 5 Jun 2018, 18:47 (Ref:3827010)   #8468
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I don't think this car is one "without rules" as much as a slightly modified and deregulated existing Le Mans prototype. Back in the group c days, they had the same type of aero features the 919 evo has, except drs's. Their engines were more powerful but didn't have hybrid power. What has changed is tire technology, efficiency, and modern technology like the hybrid.

Imo, this 919 evo is like a modern day group c car with the tech of the lmp1's. It's not some unknown super tech others can't achieve. The speeds just show the progress of these modern cars. They are so heavily restricted that Porsche can modify their lmp1 with things ran on prototypes during the 80's and 90's, drop the goofy fuel limits and go as fast as f1. That is interesting to me just from a technical point.
Old 5 Jun 2018, 19:10 (Ref:3827017)   #8469
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Maybe "without rules" is a stretch, but it's not wrong. Group C was a regulation set. This car is using tech others can't achieve because it's not legal.

The beauty of the Bellof lap was it was run to a regulation set in a real session. Not a custom built one-off that doesn't conform to a ruleset.

Don't get me wrong, the 919 Evo is a pretty awesome car. Looks great, fast, and ideally what we'd all like LMP1 to be. But...it isn't a race legal car. So comparing it to an actual lap record is a bit silly.
Old 5 Jun 2018, 20:28 (Ref:3827027)   #8470
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was as upset as anyone about Porsche leaving prototype racing, but I see no problem with them taking the car elsewhere and doing other things with it. I also feel records are meant to be broken. I see nothing sacrosanct with Bellof's lap record. It was set during a different era, on a track that (I believe) has been tweaked over the years to probably be a bit easier to drive, etc. If Porsche doesn't do it, someone else will at some point.

Regardless of what happens in the future, nobody can take that lap away or diminish Bellof's accomplishment. I hope Porsche give it a good go and set a new record that will stand for awhile. And I see something appropriate with it being Porsche who may overtake Bellof's record.

Richard
Old 6 Jun 2018, 05:43 (Ref:3827073)   #8471
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I was as upset as anyone about Porsche leaving prototype racing, but I see no problem with them taking the car elsewhere and doing other things with it. I also feel records are meant to be broken. I see nothing sacrosanct with Bellof's lap record. It was set during a different era, on a track that (I believe) has been tweaked over the years to probably be a bit easier to drive, etc. If Porsche doesn't do it, someone else will at some point.

Regardless of what happens in the future, nobody can take that lap away or diminish Bellof's accomplishment. I hope Porsche give it a good go and set a new record that will stand for awhile. And I see something appropriate with it being Porsche who may overtake Bellof's record.

Richard
+1
Old 6 Jun 2018, 05:49 (Ref:3827074)   #8472
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I don't think this car is one "without rules" as much as a slightly modified and deregulated existing Le Mans prototype. Back in the group c days, they had the same type of aero features the 919 evo has, except drs's. Their engines were more powerful but didn't have hybrid power. What has changed is tire technology, efficiency, and modern technology like the hybrid.

Imo, this 919 evo is like a modern day group c car with the tech of the lmp1's. It's not some unknown super tech others can't achieve. The speeds just show the progress of these modern cars. They are so heavily restricted that Porsche can modify their lmp1 with things ran on prototypes during the 80's and 90's, drop the goofy fuel limits and go as fast as f1. That is interesting to me just from a technical point.
In full agreement.
Also - Without taking anything away from Bellof's incredible feat, It somehow seems to escape the discussion here that the 956 was the first "ground-effect" car that Porsche built, so it did have some powerful aero...especially for the day.
Old 6 Jun 2018, 07:12 (Ref:3827081)   #8473
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Good luck to Porsche with this, all I can say is that it is not a proper LMP car if it has no restrictions. It's a car built for ultimate performance
Old 6 Jun 2018, 07:17 (Ref:3827083)   #8474
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Good luck to Porsche with this, all I can say is that it is not a proper LMP car if it has no restrictions. It's a car built for ultimate performance
The car was not purposely built. It already existed. The design did not start from a blank sheet. It is a deregulated and modified existing car that complies with many parameters set for the LMP1 class.

Last edited by Spyderman; 6 Jun 2018 at 07:39.
Old 6 Jun 2018, 13:14 (Ref:3827147)   #8475
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
"It did have regulations"

"It is deregulated"

Amusing

Cars awesome. But it isn't a Le Mans Prototype or a race car any more. It is most certainly a purpose built time attack car.