Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Mar 2018, 09:58 (Ref:3810368)   #76
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
A bit of tension in the air??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfZ94OPcUv4

Old 24 Mar 2018, 10:20 (Ref:3810371)   #77
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Partymode", yeah for 0,01% of the F1 world.
Old 24 Mar 2018, 10:24 (Ref:3810374)   #78
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Kimi just wants to be anywhere, except not there. And Hamilton still loves himself, and Vettel is just another who likes winding up his audience.
Old 24 Mar 2018, 10:25 (Ref:3810376)   #79
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdown View Post
Or looking at it another way, McLaren are in about the same position as they were at the end of last year. :-)
Yeah but Mr Brown’s Supercar team won its first race in 2 years...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 24 Mar 2018, 10:40 (Ref:3810379)   #80
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
5 place grid penalty for Bottas.

Not the best way to start the season. Confidence has taken massive hit going by the post qualy interviews he has been giving. He needs to not be so open about the way he is feeling.
Old 24 Mar 2018, 10:47 (Ref:3810380)   #81
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Rules should never be an exercise in beaurocracy. They have an aim and a purpose, and if that is complied with then all well and good.
Yep.

Quote:
To argue over a few percent either way is ridiculous. He slowed down and presented no danger, as the stewards noted. Spirit of the law is always more important than the letter.
No.

As soon as you get into "spirit of the law" you're opening a can of worms - accusations of favouritism, inconsistency of application etc. etc. And as flag infringements go red flag is the worst - Ricciardo had to be hit with a meaningful punishment otherwise everyone would start 'almost' slowing down enough under red flags (they're racing drivers - if they think they can get and advantage somehow then they'll take that chance). Stomp on it hard with grid penalties (they'll care more about that than a pocket money fine) and hopefully they'll all pay attention to what they're doing and obey the flags.
Old 24 Mar 2018, 11:27 (Ref:3810381)   #82
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Yep.

No.

As soon as you get into "spirit of the law" you're opening a can of worms - accusations of favouritism, inconsistency of application etc. etc. And as flag infringements go red flag is the worst - Ricciardo had to be hit with a meaningful punishment otherwise everyone would start 'almost' slowing down enough under red flags (they're racing drivers - if they think they can get and advantage somehow then they'll take that chance). Stomp on it hard with grid penalties (they'll care more about that than a pocket money fine) and hopefully they'll all pay attention to what they're doing and obey the flags.
I would agree with you if the indiscretion occurred in a race, or Ricciardo had gained an advantage, or Ricciardo had sped past exposed track workers, however I would personally rate speeding in the pit lane as a more dangerous offence than Daniel's.

Having set the precedent, I hope the stewards are consistent.
I would however bet they are not!
Old 24 Mar 2018, 11:31 (Ref:3810383)   #83
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Christian Horner has his say on the penalty...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/h...utted-1018033/
Old 24 Mar 2018, 13:19 (Ref:3810399)   #84
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I agree 100%.

If you are in a position that has to effectively judge someone against a rule (I do this somewhat in my day job), then it is a can of worms if you try to make subjective calls for the reasons you mentioned above. As I mentioned earlier it helps if there is a range of punishments. I think the right thing was done here.

I am also worried about the “Well, it wasn’t a serious red flag, just a loose cable.” comments. Even if the driver had been told over the radio that nobody was on track, etc. should he consider that to be more accurate information than marshals waving a red flag at him? My point is you have to treat them as if each one is a worse case scenario as there really is no stronger message that race control can to give to the entire field.

Imagine a scenario in which the driver is given bad info over the radio (track is clear) and does not slow enough before he encounters the actual issue (track is NOT clear) at speed.

Richard
Old 24 Mar 2018, 14:16 (Ref:3810403)   #85
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Q3 Red Flagged as Bottas slams into the tyre wall. The car is a mess.
Old 24 Mar 2018, 14:32 (Ref:3810406)   #86
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Lulu is on pole, after a scintillating lap, with Kimi in second spot. Vettee couldn't quite do it and is third, with Verstappen 4th.

McLaren failed to get into Q3, with Alonso and Vandoorne 10th and 11th.

The Haas's qualified well with Magnussen 5th and Grosjean 6th.
Old 24 Mar 2018, 14:35 (Ref:3810407)   #87
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Ferraris again closest challengers to Merc, RBR not far behind. Bit hit for Bottas, just pushed it a bit too hard.

Great effort by both Renault and Haas to get both cars in the top ten.
Old 24 Mar 2018, 15:47 (Ref:3810424)   #88
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
A bit of tension in the air??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfZ94OPcUv4
Kimi just staring off into the distance at the end is just priceless! hope he never retires!

anyways i like that there is a bit of underlying tension between the title protagonists.

one of these guys is most likely going to win their 5th title and in terms of drama/entertainment its better imo that they dont get along.
Old 24 Mar 2018, 15:50 (Ref:3810426)   #89
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Kimi didn’t even blink and that’s was such a cosmic moment. He is worth it
Old 24 Mar 2018, 15:53 (Ref:3810430)   #90
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I hate to beat on about it, and hopefully I wont even see it in a few races, but the halo kind of ruins in the in-car shots.
felt that way too.

they take up too much space, less room to see the road ahead, corner ahead etc.

i think we are going to be really disappointed when it blocks and actual racing/wheel to wheel battle camera shot.

add to that the new larger sized graphics. dont hate the font or the graphics mind you but too much of the screen is now being taken up.

no doubt i will get used to it but for now it all looks a bit cluttered.
Old 24 Mar 2018, 16:03 (Ref:3810431)   #91
S griffin
Veteran

I seem to remember some complaining the old graphics were too small
Old 24 Mar 2018, 16:05 (Ref:3810432)   #92
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I seem to remember some complaining the old graphics were too small
indeed...no winning really.
Old 24 Mar 2018, 18:47 (Ref:3810459)   #93
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
felt that way too.

they take up too much space, less room to see the road ahead, corner ahead etc.

i think we are going to be really disappointed when it blocks and actual racing/wheel to wheel battle camera shot.

add to that the new larger sized graphics. dont hate the font or the graphics mind you but too much of the screen is now being taken up.

no doubt i will get used to it but for now it all looks a bit cluttered.
I miss Hobbo too.
Old 24 Mar 2018, 19:06 (Ref:3810465)   #94
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I hate to beat on about it, and hopefully I wont even see it in a few races, but the halo kind of ruins in the in-car shots.
You are not wrong...

You figure with all the birds eye view technology that they have in road cars these days, that the Halo could be seamlessly edited out of onboard footage of an F1 car.
Old 24 Mar 2018, 19:12 (Ref:3810468)   #95
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
You figure with all the birds eye view technology that they have in road cars these days, that the Halo could be seamlessly edited out of onboard footage of an F1 car.
Or just build the camera into the front of the halo - as you say the technology is there to have very small cameras - how hard can it be?
Old 24 Mar 2018, 19:24 (Ref:3810474)   #96
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Or just build the camera into the front of the halo - as you say the technology is there to have very small cameras - how hard can it be?
Complete rebuild of the halo is how hard. It's tested without and adding the camera would necessitate redesigning of the entire halo. Not a bad idea, but not something done quickly through bureaucracy.
Old 24 Mar 2018, 19:40 (Ref:3810475)   #97
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The FIA already allows teams to addon on aero parts. All that's required is an add-on camera part. Given a GoPro can stream in 4K and have an internal power source, it's not that big a deal breaker to do that.

However, the cameras won't be moving - the parts are in set positions and the aero is decided. It'll be next year at the earliest.
Old 24 Mar 2018, 20:29 (Ref:3810488)   #98
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
In the first race in Adelaide in 1985, Niki Lauda led on his final race until retiring with brake failure, while Keke Rosberg won in his McLaren
Keke drove a Williams in 1985.
Other than that, excellent intro again

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
All the support races have been started behind the SC.
Well, that's still not as bad as the VdeV race at Barcelona which was run for its entire 62 laps (3H10) under safety car conditions

http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/bar...lmyr-lemporte/

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
Wish they would put the car number on the halo to make it easier to work out who you are riding with
Or paint it in different colors?
Mercedes for instance has different colors for their car numbers. Why not apply the same color to the halo as well?
Ferrari: red for Vettel, white for Kimi or vice versa?
Red Bull: orange for Max?
etc ...
Old 24 Mar 2018, 20:39 (Ref:3810491)   #99
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
OK, so I've been waiting for the new season to start ever since the last one finished. I've closely followed everything that's happened in the closed season, including the pre-season testing in Barcelona and have been eagerly anticipating the start of the season since Christmas.
So, for me qualifying wasn't live (Channel 4), but I studiously avoided the internet today and sat down at 1:00 to watch the qualifying coverage.
The programme was slick, well produced and entertaining, qualifying was close and (apparently) should have been edge of the seat entertainment, plus, I wasn't offended by The Halo.
Can anyone explain why I wasn't excited, why, at the end of the programme I just switched the TV off and went about my household chores? Surely afterwards I should have been sitting in my chair, sweating due to adrenaline, thinking WOW! that was amazing. Or does this just mean that after 45+ years the F1 bubble has finally burst in my head?
Answers on a postcard please...
Old 24 Mar 2018, 21:17 (Ref:3810496)   #100
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
The FIA already allows teams to addon on aero parts. All that's required is an add-on camera part. Given a GoPro can stream in 4K and have an internal power source, it's not that big a deal breaker to do that.

However, the cameras won't be moving - the parts are in set positions and the aero is decided. It'll be next year at the earliest.
There's ZERO chance a GoPro would be accepted as an aero part by any team. Their aero parts are tested and attached much differently than a camera mount would be. Look at the parts they've built and a camera, there's nothing in common.