Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 1 Feb 2005, 19:38 (Ref:1214906)   #26
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
BillyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So no change to my ususal standing position of on the entry to druids 3rd white pole away from the marshall's post?
Old 1 Feb 2005, 19:50 (Ref:1214917)   #27
Elio
Veteran

Elio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nope, not the entry. You`ll have a slightly different backdrop though as you watch cars exiting the corner.... more gravel, less sepectators, and happier, smiley marshals in their new super-size trench!

It remains to be seen what spectator fencing appears. Hopefully similar in size to what already exists. Only fencing from Druids exit to Langleys Gap has been taken down - hopefully what goes up won`t be the 12 foot high industrial stuff they have along Brabham Straight and the top of Paddock... Even the most avid of fence-lovers would probably agree that that`s a bit excessive for Druids!!
Old 2 Feb 2005, 09:17 (Ref:1215286)   #28
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another example of JP investing in the circuits.

Good to see!
Old 2 Feb 2005, 13:17 (Ref:1215501)   #29
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
I'm with activeMS on this one, the changes to the exit of Druids seem unusual. I reckon there's 2 main types of barrier incident at the exit of Druids.
1 - Most stuff on the outside at 6 was right under the old post.
- JP & co seem to have sorted this by pushing the post further back.
2 - Most accidents on the exit of Druids/post 6 end up on the inside of the Druid's "finger" on the run down to Graham Hill bend/post 7. There was plenty of grasscrete stuff on the left between the marshals post and Langley Gap entrance. Well used. Take a bit too much or get the power on too early on a damp track and you were headed to the trees.
- moving the barrier in relation to the track will have no effect.

As for the changes on the exit of Graham Hill bend - about time too. I've spent too much time at 8 on a wet day picking terminal spinners out the armco. Now, can we please have a new marshal's post in that area (nearer to 7, like I asked a chief for many years ago) since the old 8 seems to have gone and the flagging is done from the back of the pits in that area.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 13:24 (Ref:1215506)   #30
Elio
Veteran

Elio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I`m not entirely sure but I think the Druids exit changes may be more bike orientated.... I was reading a thread on a motorcycle forum the other day and they were suggesting that people "high-siding" exiting Druids were getting pinged a bit too close to the tyres/armco. They all seemed quite enthusiastic about it being moved back.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 20:04 (Ref:1215836)   #31
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Possibly a bit controversial, but personally I would vote for a tarmac/concrete runoff area at the exit to Druids. Yes, yes, I know all the arguments about get-out-of-jail-free cards for mistakes, but I think that is the whole point. A mistake should be punished by losing a place or few, not by bringing out the red flags. As for the argument that it would effectively be "widening" the track because everyone would use it.... well that's down to the CoC. At Snetterton the exit run-off leading onto the Revitt Straight is free game, and drivers are rarely penalised for using it. but at Lydden Hill drivers are left under no illusion that even putting a wheel over the white line on the left trying to widen the line coming down Hairy Hill into Paddock will be punished in the severest way. Just needs the rules to be clear and applied strictly and tarmac run-offs are to everyones advantage.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 20:19 (Ref:1215862)   #32
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
BillyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Elio, JP is doing a great a job at turning Brands around. Top bloke.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 20:20 (Ref:1215864)   #33
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I agree and it's much the same on the exit to Paddock Hill Bend, if you put all four wheels over the kerbing and onto the old circuit, we phone it through to race control. Bet you didnt know that one
Old 2 Feb 2005, 20:44 (Ref:1215884)   #34
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
I agree and it's much the same on the exit to Paddock Hill Bend, if you put all four wheels over the kerbing and onto the old circuit, we phone it through to race control. Bet you didnt know that one
Used it every lap of a 10-lap race (maybe not the first) without a call to the CoC
Old 2 Feb 2005, 20:48 (Ref:1215890)   #35
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38
Possibly a bit controversial, but personally I would vote for a tarmac/concrete runoff area at the exit to Druids. Yes, yes, I know all the arguments about get-out-of-jail-free cards for mistakes, but I think that is the whole point. A mistake should be punished by losing a place or few, not by bringing out the red flags. As for the argument that it would effectively be "widening" the track because everyone would use it.... well that's down to the CoC. At Snetterton the exit run-off leading onto the Revitt Straight is free game, and drivers are rarely penalised for using it. but at Lydden Hill drivers are left under no illusion that even putting a wheel over the white line on the left trying to widen the line coming down Hairy Hill into Paddock will be punished in the severest way. Just needs the rules to be clear and applied strictly and tarmac run-offs are to everyones advantage.
Get-out-of-jail-free card - excatly - I can't stand Copse at Silverstone - I think I've seen drivers make up position in the run-off. But I'm scared as hell as getting a talking to from the CoC at Lydden - won't use that. BTW using the extra tarmac at Sear at Snett actually slows you down...
Old 2 Feb 2005, 21:02 (Ref:1215905)   #36
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38
.... well that's down to the CoC. At Snetterton the exit run-off leading onto the Revitt Straight is free game, and drivers are rarely penalised for using it. but at Lydden Hill drivers are left under no illusion that even putting a wheel over the white line on the left trying to widen the line coming down Hairy Hill into Paddock will be punished in the severest way. Just needs the rules to be clear and applied strictly and tarmac run-offs are to everyones advantage.
I seem to remember at my first drivers briefing at Snetterton, the CoC threatened everyone with a slapping with a wet copy of the Blue book if the line was crossed on the exit of Sears but I have yet to see anyone not go over it.

Last edited by Tim Falce; 2 Feb 2005 at 21:09.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 22:13 (Ref:1215971)   #37
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme
BTW using the extra tarmac at Sear at Snett actually slows you down...
Agreed - on a clear track, but I think its different in traffic. Maybe it depends on the type of car, but I've got up the inside of a car on the entry to Seer and kept inside them all the way up to the outside line at the exit, only to have them drive all the way round the outside of me and shove me over to get back on track before the extra tarmac runs out. I soon learned that the only way to stop someone doing that is to use the run-off as well and make them tuck in. I've also noticed its handy if you've taken a defensive line into Seer, but don't want to lose momentum on the exit. I've never met anyone who's been so much as warned about it

Trouble with all these issues is if you don't see the other driver penalised for taking those sort of advantages, then it puts you under a lot of pressure to do it yourself or loose out.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 22:16 (Ref:1215977)   #38
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme
Get-out-of-jail-free card - excatly - I can't stand Copse at Silverstone - I think I've seen drivers make up position in the run-off.
Not to mention, spinning, stalling, flooding, having a barbeque. practicing no 11's, then getting back into the race.... eh, Falcy??

Last edited by dtype38; 2 Feb 2005 at 22:17.
Old 23 Feb 2005, 13:21 (Ref:1233485)   #39
goforit500
Veteran

goforit500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So....Is it gonna be tarmac or gravel on the exit from Druids - Anyone know yet ??