Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 24 Dec 2004, 12:16 (Ref:1187393)   #26
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38
haggispeed... that's what I thought. It was only the post from DaveK that started me worrying, and when that starts I can get a bit paranoid, followed by a persecution complex and bouts of manic depression.... Just the usual off-season blues really
Not to worry, it's nothing a couple of bottles of Bacardi won't help.
Old 24 Dec 2004, 12:18 (Ref:1187396)   #27
haggispeed
Racer

United Kingdom
near Oulton Park
haggispeed has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
don't worry Dtype - just 12 weeks to go to start of season....
couple of weeks off for Christmas, autosport show, then down to the garage, strip down, engine out and checkover that takes us to the end of Jan, Historic racing show, few mods, engine rebiuld say 3 weeks, rebuild rest of car, engine in, send it off for painting, overhaul the trailer, need to get some testing in - oh my god we're never going to make it !!!
Old 24 Dec 2004, 12:27 (Ref:1187400)   #28
ActiveMS
Racer

ActiveMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had both my GP5 and GP5K modified by the chap who does the majority of the F1 guys on behalf of Stand 21 and he didnt see a problem with doing the GP5k. Im not sure if the MSA have made any ruling on them yet? Is there anything in the latest blue book?

I assume they will expand on the number of helmets that can be fitted as the FIA list is very restrictive especially on cost.

Have a good xmas everyone.

Last edited by ActiveMS; 24 Dec 2004 at 12:31.
Old 24 Dec 2004, 13:28 (Ref:1187445)   #29
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
falcemob... As its the festive season, I might just make that 12 bottles of Bud, 11 cans of Bod, 10 stubbies of Stella, 9 tubes of Frosties, 8 pints of Guiness, 7 mugs of cider, 6 pack of 6X, 5... gold.... label, 4 glasses of port, three G & Ts, 2 B & Cs and a Bottle of a fine Scottish Malt.

haggispeed... 12 weeks? 12 WEEKS?? .... You're lucky! My first race is about 5th or 6th of March and I can't even get to work on my car until I fix the one in my garage (needs axles/brakes reconditioning) and give it back to its owner!! Mind you, I only have to re-arrange my gear change pattern (again) and give the old girl a good service. But do spare a thought for faclemob above... he's got a bare chassis sitting on the floor, the engine and gear box in separate corners of the garage, and a broken diff... Really...

ActiveMS... thanks for that. Not got my new BB yet (only just sent off licence application) but will look at it before getting the work done.

Very Merry Christmas all

Last edited by dtype38; 24 Dec 2004 at 13:30.
Old 24 Dec 2004, 14:53 (Ref:1187483)   #30
haggispeed
Racer

United Kingdom
near Oulton Park
haggispeed has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
first meeting 16th April - testing 24th March - that's the advantage of Classics - they like to give the old folk time to come out of hibernation (not including myself in that of course )
Old 24 Dec 2004, 15:38 (Ref:1187524)   #31
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
falcemob... As its the festive season, I might just make that 12 bottles of Bud, 11 cans of Bod, 10 stubbies of Stella, 9 tubes of Frosties, 8 pints of Guiness, 7 mugs of cider, 6 pack of 6X, 5... gold.... label, 4 glasses of port, three G & Ts, 2 B & Cs and a Bottle of a fine Scottish Malt.

haggispeed... 12 weeks? 12 WEEKS?? .... You're lucky! My first race is about 5th or 6th of March and I can't even get to work on my car until I fix the one in my garage (needs axles/brakes reconditioning) and give it back to its owner!! Mind you, I only have to re-arrange my gear change pattern (again) and give the old girl a good service. But do spare a thought for faclemob above... he's got a bare chassis sitting on the floor, the engine and gear box in separate corners of the garage, and a broken diff... Really...

Very Merry Christmas all
dtype38,I quite believe how much alcohol will be imbibed by you especially in light of your current visitors.
As for only having to re-arrange your gear linkage, I have about 2 years work to do on my car in the next 12 weeks, some how i don't think it will be ready
Old 28 Dec 2004, 17:07 (Ref:1188923)   #32
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm getting my new-for-christmas helmet painted in a few weeks, trying to settle on a design, any ideas?
Old 28 Dec 2004, 22:36 (Ref:1189095)   #33
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Can't really advise on what you might like, but it may help to rule out a few things to narrow the field...

Don't get it painted as a copy of some one else's helmet. If you're really good then you want other people to copy yours, if you're not then you'll probably just look like a wannabe (What's your ambition? Err.. I wannabe as good as the other guy who wears a helmet like this).

Don't get it chrome plated... all the top drivers seem to go downhill from the point they get theirs done like that.

Don't get anything trendy... you'll feel very silly in a year or two.

Don't get your girlfriend's name on it. Unlike tattoos people will think its your name!

Don't put some witty/sarcastic comment on the back like "eat my dust" unless you regularly make pole position.

Old 29 Dec 2004, 00:13 (Ref:1189150)   #34
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
lol cool, thanks for the pointers.

Rather unsuprisingly I suppose, I want something origional and highly distinctive. I've penned a few ideas, union jack based type things, but nothing's struck the note yet, they're all looking too nige-like. I'll keep thinking them up I'll get it soon!

Btw just out of interest how much weight does chrome plating add to a helmet?
Old 29 Dec 2004, 10:14 (Ref:1189285)   #35
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Not sure about the weight but I don't think F1 drivers would be allowed it if it meant reducing the underfloor ballast to compensate I suspect it has more to do with it being metallic and therefore electrically conductive. I'm not sure if I remember Faraday correctly, but did he say something about "a driver with a metal can on his head can't read the thoughts of the other drivers" ??

As for the flag idea.. considered that myself and I've seen lots of ideas based around the Union Flag. Extremely difficult to make that one work... wherever the middle is, it tends to get messy around the other sides trying to make it look like anything but stripes. Might be worth considering an emblem of some sort, maybe repeated on the sides, top and back with some sort of connecting design ??

Do let us know what you come up with.
Old 31 Dec 2004, 14:49 (Ref:1190587)   #36
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
lol

I've done a bit more designing, and behold;

An idea I'm quite keen on:

Does it look like anybody else's though?
Old 1 Jan 2005, 17:27 (Ref:1191125)   #37
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is this a symmetrical design - ie the red pattern will be exactly the same on teh other side?
Old 3 Jan 2005, 17:40 (Ref:1192285)   #38
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Initially I thought so, but im not so sure now due to your comment
Old 3 Jan 2005, 19:31 (Ref:1192391)   #39
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It would look best if you did have it the same on both sides I think
Old 5 Jan 2005, 17:27 (Ref:1193761)   #40
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Scratch the previous idea, I'd like to present..

Old 5 Jan 2005, 21:25 (Ref:1193997)   #41
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
BillyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope you put paper on that Alex.
Old 6 Jan 2005, 13:32 (Ref:1194480)   #42
DaveK
Racer

England
Whitchurch
DaveK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Dave, my new lid is an Arai GP5K SA2000. I got it from Demon Tweeks and did mention that I was thinking of getting a HANS device shortly. If it isn't on the list, does that mean it won't work at all, or just that it doesn't have sufficient strength to meet FIA requirements. I only run at UK MSA national A and B events and don't do any international racing.
Yes the gp5k is fine for use with Hans. Depending when you bought it they even come pre drilled from Arai now.

As far as iam aware it is not mandatory to use a hans harness with Hans devices as even F1 don't use the harnesses with thinner shoulder straps.
The idea is that the harness site snugly on the Hans not fitting over the edge.

Dave
Old 6 Jan 2005, 17:46 (Ref:1194619)   #43
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Thanks for that DaveK, I've just checked and there are two small white plastic plugs I hadn't noticed filling two holes that look like a perfect place to fit Hans studs

Harness wise I've got a 3" one (ie., not Hans type) but its nearly brand new so I'm going to see if I can get away with that first. My seating position is very cramped though, and I'm a bit worried about it digging in and about what angle I need. So I've decided to take the whole car to the supplier for a test fitting next month before I buy
Old 6 Jan 2005, 17:53 (Ref:1194622)   #44
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Alex... Good bold design... I like it... I'm just slightly hesitant about the area of blue just behind the visor hinge. How about continuing the big radius as the back edge bends up from the bottom to remove the slight "kink".
Old 6 Jan 2005, 20:37 (Ref:1194732)   #45
D Hodge
Rookie

D Hodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Harness wise I've got a 3" one (ie., not Hans type) but its nearly brand new so I'm going to see if I can get away with that first.

dtype, i use a Hans device with 3" straps and it works fine as long as they are nice and tight!
Old 8 Jan 2005, 16:45 (Ref:1195941)   #46
REALIST
Racer

REALIST has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
My experience in a single seater is that the wider harness can slip off the HANS making it very uncomfortable. The slimmer harness is a lot better but still not perfect. It seems to depend on a range of factors - car type, driver build, mounting points, seating position etc. Sometimes the 3" straps are fine, sometimes not.
Old 8 Jan 2005, 21:55 (Ref:1196111)   #47
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
The rear anchor point for my shoulder straps is a single ring about 18" behind the seat and about level with the bottom of my shoulder blades. The seat is an OMP RS so the shoulder strap holes are fairly close together and I have quite broad shoulders. All of that tends to keep the shoulder straps fairly close together and firmly in place over my collar bones. I'm hopeful this arrangement will mean the straps won't try to slide off the HANS device, but I'll soon find out. Did I read somewhere that some have been adapted with harness retaining loops to prevent them slipping, but I'd be a bit concerned about that if I needed to get out of the car quickly!!

Anyway, my main concern at the mo is that I have very little "natural" padding... ie, my bones stick out a bit. I understand they can be a bit uncomfortable if the straps are tight (I like mine as tight as I can stand). Then again, I see on the US hans web site that various different types of padding are available as approved attachments (at a price) so that's why I want to try-before-I-buy.

I'll let you know how I get on next month.
Old 5 Feb 2005, 16:12 (Ref:1218246)   #48
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
How much does it cost to get your helmet painted.
Old 5 Feb 2005, 19:00 (Ref:1218333)   #49
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
on average about £200 but it depends upon how complex the design is. Most painters will give you a fixed quote if you e-mail them a picture or your design.
Old 5 Feb 2005, 19:58 (Ref:1218375)   #50
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
Ok thanks. Thats quite a bit but its worth it.

Who would you recommend? JLF?
Lucky Designs?

Tags
helmet painting