Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 26 Jun 2014, 17:53 (Ref:3426863)   #51
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah I have to be honest it's a stand I do like to visit during qualy but not a place I'd want to spend a prolonged period of time. A few too many quirks for my liking.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 23:01 (Ref:3426965)   #52
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
This was only my second trip to Le Mans, but I promise there will be many more to come! (Plans are already being made for next year)

Pros:

First and foremost, thank you to Michelin for the VIP hospitality experience, it was very special and was much appreciated. Having a comfortable place to eat, drink and rest up was amazing.

Taking my wife to her first Le Mans, and having her enjoy it so much that she too is now desperately looking forward to next year.

Meeting Alan McNish at the Michelin hospitality and getting to chat with him for a few minutes. I'd met him before a few times, but this time was very enjoyable, and as always he is such a gentleman and an amazing steward for sports car racing.

The race itself. I would have liked to have seen someone other than Audi win (and if it had to be Audi I was hoping for TKs 10th win), but it was a dramatic, hard fought race in every category.

The weather was perfect. Even the short rainstorm was great. Loved the smell of the rain on the asphalt and the excitement that it brought with it.

Cons:

Losing my $300 noise canceling headphones.

Having dinner reservations at La Chamade in downtown Le Mans for the night of the drivers parade. I'd made the reservations a month before. When I showed up they pretended like I'd never made them. They also pretended that they all of a sudden didn't speak a word of English. It's cool, I don't speak French, so shame on me. But it's not cool when I see you speaking English with someone else just minutes before and then all of a sudden forgetting how to speak it. They didn't make any effort to seat us even after their mistake, just showed us the door. I kicked over their sign on the street on the way out, it made me feel a little better. Please don't use this restaurant, they are rude, nasty people who don't deserve your business.

Dempsey not winning. Would have loved to have seen him win, simply for the amount of publicity it would have brought to the sport.
Old 1 Jul 2014, 15:11 (Ref:3429054)   #53
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post

Having dinner reservations at La Chamade in downtown Le Mans for the night of the drivers parade. I'd made the reservations a month before. When I showed up they pretended like I'd never made them. They also pretended that they all of a sudden didn't speak a word of English. It's cool, I don't speak French, so shame on me. But it's not cool when I see you speaking English with someone else just minutes before and then all of a sudden forgetting how to speak it. They didn't make any effort to seat us even after their mistake, just showed us the door. I kicked over their sign on the street on the way out, it made me feel a little better. Please don't use this restaurant, they are rude, nasty people who don't deserve your business.
Having firm bookings denied, whether to restaurants or worse still, accommodation, isn't unusual, particularly if you're not a local....
Old 2 Jul 2014, 17:22 (Ref:3429552)   #54
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Having firm bookings denied, whether to restaurants or worse still, accommodation, isn't unusual, particularly if you're not a local....
I guess this is just unique to Le Mans then, unfortunately. My wife and I were in Europe for three weeks, this was the only bad experience that we had at a restaurant or hotel during our entire trip.

Mentioned it to some locals in Paris, they did not have nice things to say about their countrymen to the South. Wonder what that's about.
Old 3 Jul 2014, 01:17 (Ref:3429703)   #55
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Mentioned it to some locals in Paris, they did not have nice things to say about their countrymen to the South. Wonder what that's about.
You will also notice Le Mans is not really mentioned in guidebooks about France, except in regards to the race. Long memories in this country, and you only have to go back to WWII to see why.
keke
Old 3 Jul 2014, 11:06 (Ref:3429869)   #56
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
probably got something to do with the fact that in return, nobody has anything nice to say about parisiens. that dislike is the only thing that truly unites the rest of france
Old 3 Jul 2014, 14:01 (Ref:3429921)   #57
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Muppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
probably got something to do with the fact that in return, nobody has anything nice to say about parisiens. that dislike is the only thing that truly unites the rest of france
Must admit this thought crossed my mind.

For my two penneth, I think this year was one of my most enjoyable in my 9 trips. As many of you know, I almost didn't make it, which I think added to my enjoyment. But my mate and I had a fantastic time - always helped by the weather; but we didn't follow our gang's usual routine...

We went to Chartre-sur-le-Loire for Champagne outside the Hotel de France (I've been there before, but my mate hadn't) and soaked up the atmosphere. We also did the CBW which neither of us had done before, but definitely will be again! We just didn't follow the throngs really - some nice meals out and about, including a proper sit-down in the ACO an hour before the race. The Michelin tour and TT meeting an hour or two before (although the latter was a flying visit unfortunately) were also great additions. Nothing I'm saying is out of this world, but I think it was just our pace this year was different to normal and I think far more enjoyable.
Old 4 Jul 2014, 11:11 (Ref:3430242)   #58
Brake dust
Racer

United States
Brake dust should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
We also did the CBW
What is CBW?
Old 4 Jul 2014, 11:34 (Ref:3430249)   #59
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
classic british welcome, i assume
Old 6 Jul 2014, 10:54 (Ref:3430857)   #60
Brake dust
Racer

United States
Brake dust should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks! Missed that this year - need to try to attend next time.
Old 7 Jul 2014, 06:16 (Ref:3431278)   #61
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake dust View Post
Thanks! Missed that this year - need to try to attend next time.
You must try to get there, one of the things that makes the week special
Old 8 Jul 2014, 10:44 (Ref:3431747)   #62
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Had a great time at campsite Tertre Rouge, really nice to stay there.
The Michelin visit was very nice and interesting to find out how they work.
Tenths meeting was as mentioned before a huge succes.
This was my first year (in 24) without a permanent grandstand seat, did not miss it at all.
Old 8 Jul 2014, 16:08 (Ref:3431836)   #63
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
You must try to get there, one of the things that makes the week special
Agree - my first time to CBW as you know - thoroughly enjoyed it and will return.
Old 8 Jul 2014, 16:10 (Ref:3431838)   #64
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobster View Post
Had a great time at campsite Tertre Rouge, really nice to stay there.
[...]
This was my first year (in 24) without a permanent grandstand seat, did not miss it at all.
Same here on both counts and agree with both.
TR was good, as was the view from my camping chair on the banking - shame about the German parasol in front though and i suspect the Forest esses trees will be more "forest-like" next year and spoil the view.
Old 8 Jul 2014, 17:29 (Ref:3431859)   #65
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrimage View Post
Same here on both counts and agree with both.
TR was good, as was the view from my camping chair on the banking - shame about the German parasol in front though and i suspect the Forest esses trees will be more "forest-like" next year and spoil the view.
Gavin you will be pleased to hear that your chair is back in England, it survived Laurent's Garden and the heavy rain and me, so is now back in my shed if you want to pick it up
Old 8 Jul 2014, 18:15 (Ref:3431876)   #66
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Right, one month since I arrived down at La Sarthe, time to sum up my experience after I've allowed it to sink in.

First up. I'm never doing what I did this year again, it's ridiculous to carry around luggage for 11 regular days in France as well as the camping stuff. The local authorities could probably do better regarding the sidewalks from the main entrance down to the Maison Blanche entrances, about 3/4 of the way is pure gravel and a heavy suitcase on wheels basically turns into a plowing machine. I know it means a 20-21-hour drive, but next year I'll be driving over on a pan-European roadtrip.

On the other hand, it's a fantastic feeling to bring mates along and feel happy when you see them enjoying themselves to the fullest, drinking in the atmosphere and savouring every minute of the experience. Dan got his first taste of it this year, he's already said he might convince others to come next year, and I've already persuaded someone else on my end. On the face of it, the pre-booking for 5 people for next year might already start to look pessimistic.

Good neighbors in Maison Blanche. Saw a re-run of the Canadian GP (missed the results) with them during the heavy rainstorm that hit on Monday evening a few hours after scrutineering, and quite a bit of chit-chat with them on the spectator banking in the campsite during Wednesday practice.

Nice organization by Kenn and the others in the Danish campsite. Also, great to meet some other new people (William and Nick) through those means; we went as a group down to Arnage and Mulsanne on Thursday night, watched the last 4 hours of the race together on the spectator terrace next to the finish line, then we all met up for a day of sightseeing in Paris on the Tuesday after the race.

Great insight at the Michelin tire compound visit. The smell of fresh racing tires is certainly something that sticks with you for a while.

I should pack warmer clothes to bring along when walking around the track. Had to retire to the tent during the race just to warm myself up in the sleeping bag... and nodded off with the #7 leading. First thing I hear when I wake up with the morning light? Audi 1-2. AAAAAAAARGH. And the groan in the grandstands when the #20 Porsche slowed with terminal issues at the end... I was part of it. Fantastic race, but (almost) the most disappointing result possible for me sadly.

Great to meet with everyone over the week. Nice chat with James, Eric and Andrew at scrutineering, the meeting at the tree was even better than last year, and it was interesting to see how people were trying to cope with the rocket fuel. John-Mark (G4J) admitted that he couldn't remember the first two hours of the race after having a taste... I'll definitely be bringing some variations on this theme next year. Maybe if we have some methods of chilling drinks for a week, also some Romanian wine.

Also, bit more access this year than I would have expected. Managed to snag more autographed cards, as well as various selfies with various people, and probably the best thing - meeting Shea and Jim from Radio Le Mans in the tram station at Republique on scrutineering Monday and having a very pleasant chat with them on the way back to the track.

In hindsight, I was lucky about one thing: a (niggling, painful but ultimately not very serious for now) health issue that develops over a longer period of time picked the "perfect" time to rear its ugly head, and it was precisely 2 days after I landed back home, so thankfully it didn't happen in France and it didn't bring up complications that would have arisen (even with health insurance for travelling).

Overall: you can bet your **** I'll be back again next year. And with a bigger group hopefully. More people to spread the Le Mans fever around.
Old 8 Jul 2014, 19:09 (Ref:3431894)   #67
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Well Victor you have gone from a lost soul waiting at the station wondering what the hell you let yourself into last year to a group organiser in 1 year and are now addicted to le mans so see you next year and the year after and after and after
Old 9 Jul 2014, 07:42 (Ref:3432069)   #68
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Well Victor you have gone from a lost soul waiting at the station wondering what the hell you let yourself into last year to a group organiser in 1 year and are now addicted to le mans so see you next year and the year after and after and after
And the campsite pre-booking is for Tertre Rouge.
Old 9 Jul 2014, 07:48 (Ref:3432073)   #69
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
So your party will be bringing the average age down a fair bit then.
Old 9 Jul 2014, 09:22 (Ref:3432105)   #70
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Muppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Well Victor you have gone from a lost soul waiting at the station wondering what the hell you let yourself into last year to a group organiser in 1 year and are now addicted to le mans
Funny how it grabs you!
Old 9 Jul 2014, 11:04 (Ref:3432123)   #71
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
victor, your rocket fuel increased my enjoyment of the first hour of the race considerably. i have only sketchy recollections of that first hour, much like g4j though!

and do the roadtrip, *definitely*. i'm doing austria the weekend after next, that's 17 plus ferry journey, and it's not so bad. you need an awful lot of music though

to be fair, the cold night during the race was definitely exaggerated by the warm days beforehand. i don't know even if it's possible to dress for that kind of change in temperature :/
Old 9 Jul 2014, 13:10 (Ref:3432158)   #72
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Quote:
victor, your rocket fuel increased my enjoyment of the first hour of the race considerably. i have only sketchy recollections of that first hour, much like g4j though!

and do the roadtrip, *definitely*. i'm doing austria the weekend after next, that's 17 plus ferry journey, and it's not so bad. you need an awful lot of music though

to be fair, the cold night during the race was definitely exaggerated by the warm days beforehand. i don't know even if it's possible to dress for that kind of change in temperature :/
I think you, John-Mark (G4J) and Simon (GT6) had the most out of that particular bottle. And as for roadtrip music, the whole discography of Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and The Who should last me the distance.
Old 9 Jul 2014, 13:39 (Ref:3432175)   #73
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
*looks innocent*

oh now be careful. there's a lot of air guitar in there, are you sure that's safe?
Old 9 Jul 2014, 20:32 (Ref:3432278)   #74
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
*looks innocent*

oh now be careful. there's a lot of air guitar in there, are you sure that's safe?
It's the head banging I would be more careful off.
I usually set of the "Need a break" sensor in VW cars
Old 9 Jul 2014, 21:34 (Ref:3432293)   #75
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
I think you, John-Mark (G4J) and Simon (GT6) had the most out of that particular bottle. And as for roadtrip music, the whole discography of Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and The Who should last me the distance.
Looking back on my days of long road trips length and breadth of the UK I'd operate on the principle of a 500 mile stint is just about doable, much more than that and you're rolling the dice a bit. I remember pushing the boundaries of this somewhat on an Aberdeen-Aberystwyth run and the final bit coming over Plynlimon in the dark being a considerable challenge, especially when I happened across a Land Rover ambling its way along without any lights on.

Okay motorways and 21st century cars make a hell of a difference, but don't rely on loud 1970s rock to keep you alive - would be a shame for you not to make it Victor.