Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 25 Mar 2010, 16:58 (Ref:2659935)   #1
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
pederb has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
'10 ALMS Round 2 • Long Beach • April 17th-18th

Entry list for Long Beach Here

Cheers
Old 25 Mar 2010, 17:10 (Ref:2659943)   #2
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Prepare to feel the wrath of HORNDAWG
Old 25 Mar 2010, 17:22 (Ref:2659954)   #3
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
35 car entry list, wow!

Corvette should have this one in GT, this is a torque track.
Old 25 Mar 2010, 18:07 (Ref:2659976)   #4
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Dont get to confident, that Ferrari has a lot of punch out of the Corners.
Old 25 Mar 2010, 18:32 (Ref:2659993)   #5
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r View Post
Hence why I said "should."
Old 25 Mar 2010, 23:16 (Ref:2660148)   #6
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Prepare to feel the wrath of HORNDAWG
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 07:30 (Ref:2660246)   #7
ubrben
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
ubrben has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Outbraking into Turn 1 - BMW track mate ;-)

Ben
Old 26 Mar 2010, 10:50 (Ref:2660315)   #8
CarolK
Racer

United States
Texas
CarolK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
35 car entry list, wow!

the real entry list is only 19 cars when you remove the "FILLER" classes and then it's a GT2 event.......
Old 26 Mar 2010, 11:49 (Ref:2660351)   #9
ubrben
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolK View Post
the real entry list is only 19 cars when you remove the "FILLER" classes and then it's a GT2 event.......

Better than zero cars and no series. At least the filler classes provide the traffic required for the LMP drivers to work for the win :-)

As has been discussed before the LMPC / Formula Le Mans cars are classed as LMP2 in the opening LMS round at Paul Ricard. Next year LMP2 will be closer to LMPC and LMP1 will be closer to current LMP2. We are in the midst of a transition.

I might agree more that GTC are a "filler" category unless the ALMS presents a clear plan to open it up to other GT3 cars.

Ben
Old 26 Mar 2010, 11:57 (Ref:2660354)   #10
tux1234
Racer

tux1234 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem with opening it up to GT3 cars is that the GT3s would be quicker than the GT2s. The le mans challenge cars could do with an extra 25-40 bhp to help them out drag the GT2s down the straights.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 13:37 (Ref:2660410)   #11
ubrben
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux1234 View Post
The problem with opening it up to GT3 cars is that the GT3s would be quicker than the GT2s. The le mans challenge cars could do with an extra 25-40 bhp to help them out drag the GT2s down the straights.
I'm sure they could find a way, just like they are for LMP combining P1 and P2, just as they did with the Penske Porsches P2s and Audi P1s.

If there is one thing the ALMS is good at is making sure the field is closely matched to make the racing competitive - GT2 is testement to that.

If the prospect of Merc SLS, BMW Z4, Audi R8s and Porsches is possible with small reg tweaks I'm sure they can manage it.

Ben
Old 26 Mar 2010, 15:22 (Ref:2660463)   #12
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
A GT2 event this year would not make me unhappy!
Old 26 Mar 2010, 16:13 (Ref:2660496)   #13
Captain Spyro
Rookie

United States
West Virginia
Captain Spyro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I dunno. Looks real enough to me, no offense.

Just give them some time and a little bit of tweaking and those so-called filler classes will be about as good as GT2 is now, I believe.

But most of all, Flying Lizard Motorsports.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 16:33 (Ref:2660510)   #14
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Change happens, it is part of the sport. At the start of the ALMS, we simply had LMP. LMP 675 - now LMP2 was brought in to allow privateers to race.

Now we have two new categories. LMP-C, which appears to be very similar to what the new LMP2 will be. GT-C, yes is filler now, but will it still be considered such when it has 2,3,4 marques entered?
Old 26 Mar 2010, 17:10 (Ref:2660526)   #15
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Change happens, it is part of the sport. At the start of the ALMS, we simply had LMP. LMP 675 - now LMP2 was brought in to allow privateers to race.

Now we have two new categories. LMP-C, which appears to be very similar to what the new LMP2 will be. GT-C, yes is filler now, but will it still be considered such when it has 2,3,4 marques entered?
I guess time will tell, but I feel that Laguna Seca will be the event to measure the future of this season.

Cheers
Old 26 Mar 2010, 17:50 (Ref:2660546)   #16
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pederb View Post
I guess time will tell, but I feel that Laguna Seca will be the event to measure the future of this season.

Cheers
Yah, I just hope there isn't utter chaos at Long Beach between the walls. if you spin in a Challenge car there aren't any gravel traps to catch you. and if spares were an issue in LMPC at Sebring..... No matter who wins, a successful Long Beach will be one with little to no car damage.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 20:27 (Ref:2660646)   #17
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
GT-C, yes is filler now, but will it still be considered such when it has 2,3,4 marques entered?
Especially since GT2 has evolved into something that is closer to what GT1 used to be, albeit with more entrants. As stated by others in other threads, they may have to implement a development freeze on the GTC or GT3 cars in the ALMS to prevent the costs of the GT3 racing in Europe (although the FIA GT3 field is full of great cars).
My genuine concern is what happens to the big LMP class(es) in the ALMS in terms of full season entries after this season?
Old 27 Mar 2010, 05:33 (Ref:2660871)   #18
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been wondering if the existence of the ALMS itself is in danger - I think I heard they have been losing money in the past year or two.

The spec classes may or may not provide good racing (I haven't seen any race with them) but I don't think that's what people want to see in sportscar racing - I think people want to see big name teams up against each other. Outside GT(2) (where big name teams are duking it out), what is there that really is interesting in the ALMS? The prototype class is meant to be the premiere class but it seems to be in real trouble.

What I ask you is this: is the continued existence of the ALMS in doubt?
Old 27 Mar 2010, 05:43 (Ref:2660873)   #19
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
The ALMS has been in real survival mode since 2008, I think.

The development of the LMPC and GTC classes was a part of attempting to stay afloat by appearing in some semblance of health, but of course things still remaining as throughly tricky as they were before. The precariousness of the LMP scenario is a severely critical concern, as it has long been with the ALMS: if that all goes to fudge, then the pooch is screwed (hence why they have gone the LMPC route).

So, yes, I would say its continued existence is in doubt in the sense times are tough: the danger of death by a thousand paper cuts, in particular the snowball effect, is the ever present danger I think.

I still think the odds are reasonably in favour of surviving in the longer term, but, for sure, it is still well and truly in the woods. The thing that helps it get out could well be the very real strength of GT2 (well, I guess I should say GT now): it means there is at least one genuine area of interest to focus on in the races, which is rather helpful from the perception angle with regards media and PR etc.

Last edited by Dutton; 27 Mar 2010 at 05:49.
Old 27 Mar 2010, 12:16 (Ref:2660994)   #20
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LMP racing is not healthy right now because of the constant (and still undefined) threat of a rule change that can-might-will (we don't know) make your equipment obsolete and cost a quarter of a million minimum to update. Look at the European entry; P2s are more healthy because there are more than 4 old chassis available over there, but P1 is in the single digits, and that's including factory efforts that will also show up in the ALMS at some point. And the Euro championship costs are certainly not the same with only 5 races.

Privateers would have been happy to fill the void (and take the victories) left by Porsche-Audi-Acura in the last few years but didn't because buying soon-to-be-obsolete million-dollar cars wasn't interesting. Hopefully the new rule package will be attractive and set in stone. I'm just not sure mandating such small engines is any good when Americans have always been running big V8s and it's the Europeans who liked to run Cosworth and Judds. There certainly is no home-grown solution for them, unless they go the GT engine route.

GTC and LMPC make up the half of the ALMS this year; keep these competitors happy with fair rule enforcement and they will be happy to stay around and maybe invest when other classes make sense to them. We're lucky GT is a manufacturer-fest because no team owner with expansion plans for this class (AJR, Black Swan, second Robertson Ford with pros, etc.) will pull the trigger until it starts making sense.
Old 27 Mar 2010, 13:37 (Ref:2661023)   #21
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimo View Post

What I ask you is this: is the continued existence of the ALMS in doubt?
At the current time, there doesn't appear to be any reason to think that the continued existence of the ALMS is in any doubt. As a Privately held organization, there is no pressure to be have a certain ROI. While the ALMS itself may, or may not have generated positive cash flow on it's own, one must remember that the organization owns many other assets, which can help (or perhaps even hinder), the overall profitability of the Panoz Group.

The only real probability of the ALMS, or a series like it going away, is if for some reason Atherton and Panoz decided to sell to ISC. I couldn't see someone who is proud of the legacy they have built, doing such a thing if there were any other options.
Old 27 Mar 2010, 16:45 (Ref:2661087)   #22
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Félix View Post
LMP racing is not healthy right now because of the constant (and still undefined) threat of a rule change that can-might-will (we don't know) make your equipment obsolete and cost a quarter of a million minimum to update. Look at the European entry; P2s are more healthy because there are more than 4 old chassis available over there, but P1 is in the single digits, and that's including factory efforts that will also show up in the ALMS at some point. And the Euro championship costs are certainly not the same with only 5 races.

Privateers would have been happy to fill the void (and take the victories) left by Porsche-Audi-Acura in the last few years but didn't because buying soon-to-be-obsolete million-dollar cars wasn't interesting. Hopefully the new rule package will be attractive and set in stone. I'm just not sure mandating such small engines is any good when Americans have always been running big V8s and it's the Europeans who liked to run Cosworth and Judds. There certainly is no home-grown solution for them, unless they go the GT engine route.

GTC and LMPC make up the half of the ALMS this year; keep these competitors happy with fair rule enforcement and they will be happy to stay around and maybe invest when other classes make sense to them. We're lucky GT is a manufacturer-fest because no team owner with expansion plans for this class (AJR, Black Swan, second Robertson Ford with pros, etc.) will pull the trigger until it starts making sense.

It is, and has always been, the most likely scenario that all current P-1 and P-2 chassis would live through the rule change! Granted there might/will be aero changes imposed to the body works but a large percentage of teams update aero packages regardless. The engines while not identical are capable of being swapped out of the P-1s and installation kits exist as they are in P-2s already, granted not costless but.. The engine rule has been known for quite some time now!! Rules have been postponed being implemented to save teams money, i.e., all the waivers for rear fenders etc.. this year. The FLM, LMPC and GTC ( /-3) have been introduced as an easement into what seems sure to become the 'privateer' classes of the future.
The major problem is the economy and the time it takes to get it headed back the right direction, so far the rules makers have seemed to be aware of that!
As to AJR, GMG, GETG, Primetime etc.. it makes sense for them to be where they are, these teams are being run as ladder programs, period! Blackswan will not be competitive with its current personnel up against the lead GT squads.

L.P.
Old 6 Apr 2010, 17:21 (Ref:2667768)   #23
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
Latest Entry List for Long Beach Here

Largest Field ever at Long Beach?

Cheers
Old 6 Apr 2010, 17:51 (Ref:2667786)   #24
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pederb View Post
Latest Entry List for Long Beach Here

Largest Field ever at Long Beach?

Cheers
Might not even be the largest entry of the event.World Challenge had 30 cars at St. Pete and there's talk about a few additions to that series for Long Beach...
Old 6 Apr 2010, 21:44 (Ref:2667935)   #25
GutZ
Rookie

Portugal
Açores, Portugal
GutZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just one question, is motorstv going to transmite the long beach race? is because it doesnt even apear in motors tv shedule!