Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 11 May 2003, 19:26 (Ref:596237)   #1
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CBS rules all

I thought the CBS coverage was outstanding today! They showed Zanardi's laps and had great interviews and showed where the action was as it happened.

Unlike TSN...

I can only hope that CBS picks up more races this year and in upcomming years because they actually did a great job at both Brands and Germany!

Does anybody know what the ratings were? (Hope they were good...)
Old 11 May 2003, 19:34 (Ref:596241)   #2
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed, excellent coverage. They also had adverts for the race during the golf after the race yesterday which is good...thus, I didn't mind the golf ads this time.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 11 May 2003, 19:36 (Ref:596242)   #3
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Speed Channel/CBS crew does a fantastic job on CART telecasts. Hopefully, the ratings were good for Germany; the only network competition was figure skating on ABC.

My only gripe about CBS telecasts is the awful opening sequence and music. They look like holdovers from 1987.
Old 11 May 2003, 19:47 (Ref:596249)   #4
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree, the music does stink. I feel they're doing an okay job of broadcasting CART, I won't complain. However, I still long to hear the voice of Parker Johnstone once again. Intelligent, level headed, fills the dead air with actually usefull comentary. The only expert who doesn't require a 'chatter box' to complement them.
Old 11 May 2003, 19:57 (Ref:596255)   #5
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The presentation is my main gripe with all of CBS's sports coverage. When you watch something on CBS, it just doesn't feel like an event in the way it would if it were on ABC, NBC, or FOX. I watched the Phoenix IRL race on ABC, and for a moment I actually thought it was important.

Parker Johnstone is really out of his element as an NHRA pit reporter, but he does a good job with it. Perhaps he will move on to other things in the future, or at least switch to IRL telecasts.
Old 12 May 2003, 04:42 (Ref:596575)   #6
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I was quite happy with the coverage from Germany. But I certainly give them kudos for showing every one of ZMan's laps, and following that up with an interview. I would have been terribly disappointed if they hadn't done that.
Old 12 May 2003, 10:29 (Ref:596721)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The restraint of the announcers was refreshing -- thank heavens they did not produce the Frat Boy on Spree coverage we frequently get on Speed! No "Double D" nonsense, no jokes about who Kendall tried to pick up in the paddock, and no banter while the race was going on unobserved. It was good solid race commentary and actually made observations on what was going on that showed they were paying attention. Now if they can just carry that over to Speed.

I found a lot of the questions during Zanardi's laps very intrusive and the idea of shoving a microphone in Tags' face and essentially asking him "How does it feel to watch the man you nearly killed?" We did not need questions. The visuals were good enough.

All in all a very good back to back weekend of racing and I think it did the series good to see the CWS in two entirely different formats and both good races.
Old 12 May 2003, 16:42 (Ref:597105)   #8
25yearsatrdam
Rookie

25yearsatrdam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ahh, liz...

They did say "Double D"... and I liked the 2nd interview with AZ, but they really needed to show the race there while they talked to him.

But all in all they are the same everybody - CBS/FOX/Speedvision - ALL THE SAME. I like the jokes, but they do need to minimalize them during the races. one thing is true, at least its not the NECKCAR announcers. I hate listening to those guys. One says boogity, another roots for family - BROADCAST THE RACE. Oh well, I'm done ranting for now....
Old 12 May 2003, 16:45 (Ref:597108)   #9
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was such a treat to just have the announcers shut the hell up in those closing laps, listening to Bourdais' spotters. I still have "Outside... Outside..." echoing in my ears!!!

Of course, it's rare that there's something so interesting to watch.
Old 12 May 2003, 17:55 (Ref:597175)   #10
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't rember a major network doing a better job on anything. But! I really like the the podium presentation, national anthems, I like that stuff, it makes me moist.
Old 12 May 2003, 20:43 (Ref:597367)   #11
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
It was such a treat to just have the announcers shut the hell up in those closing laps, listening to Bourdais' spotters. I still have "Outside... Outside..." echoing in my ears!!!

Of course, it's rare that there's something so interesting to watch.
I was just thinking of that. If ABC was still broadcasting the race, you wouldn't hear the spotters at all. Paul Page would be screaming off the top of his lungs, "And Dominguez moves for the lead! Bourdais holds his line! Dominguez tries again! Bourdais still holds him back! Let's go to Gary Gerould in Mario Dominguez's pit box!"
Old 12 May 2003, 21:00 (Ref:597382)   #12
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep... And with 3 to go it'd be "This is the right front wheel off LeMarie's car, and you can see how badly it's been scuffed up against that concrete wall. Now we've talked to the crew, and they don't think that thw wheel is going to be useable for future races. So unfortunately, another setback for PK Racing."
Old 12 May 2003, 21:25 (Ref:597397)   #13
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Funny stuff, guys. And too true.

Outside...Outside...Outside...Still There...Outside...Clear!...Outside...
Old 13 May 2003, 01:31 (Ref:597519)   #14
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul Page would have been screaming about what Michael Andretti would have been doing if he had been able to complete more than two laps, and Gary Gerrold would still be trying to ask Tags questions about Zanardi, "Have you stopped feeling guilty yet? Are you in therapy? Have you tried prayer?"

I'm glad they were both somewhere else.
Old 13 May 2003, 14:22 (Ref:597941)   #15
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Champweb is reporting that "both the Brands Hatch race on Saturday and the German 500 on Sunday garnered an overnight TV rating of 1.2 with a 3 share, which equates to a little over 1.3 million people watching each event. Meanwhile, the Indy 500 qualifying, the biggest spectacle in motorsports, got a 1.0."
Old 14 May 2003, 11:27 (Ref:598634)   #16
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tsk tsk tsk to Ch10 on their shonky effort here in Australia.

2 hours of Late Night Big Brother! They were freakin asleep!
Old 15 May 2003, 14:54 (Ref:599778)   #17
BlueStang
Rookie

BlueStang should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
Champweb is reporting that "both the Brands Hatch race on Saturday and the German 500 on Sunday garnered an overnight TV rating of 1.2 with a 3 share, which equates to a little over 1.3 million people watching each event. Meanwhile, the Indy 500 qualifying, the biggest spectacle in motorsports, got a 1.0."
I believe that was the rain-out of qualifying, i.e. Saturday's ESPN/ABC broadcast.

Sunday might have also gotten a 1.0 (I don't know), but Saturday more folks tuned in to watch rain fall on the Speedway than did CART's Long Beach or the IRL's Japan telecasts.
Old 15 May 2003, 15:15 (Ref:599808)   #18
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BlueStang
Sunday might have also gotten a 1.0 (I don't know), but Saturday more folks tuned in to watch rain fall on the Speedway than did CART's Long Beach or the IRL's Japan telecasts.
That's misleading, because Long Beach was on Speed, and not CBS. If Long Beach had been on CBS, without a doubt it would have had a 1.2 at the very minimum, probably more.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 15 May 2003, 16:20 (Ref:599890)   #19
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
Champweb is reporting that "both the Brands Hatch race on Saturday and the German 500 on Sunday garnered an overnight TV rating of 1.2 with a 3 share..."
That's quite an increase over their previous coverage. Looking at Motorsportstv's ratings reporting, CART has been hammered by being on Speed. They're way underperforming even compared to F1.

http://www.motorsportstv.com/tv_ratings.htm

The last CBS race they had was August 11 (Mid-O) last year and it got 0.9, so 1.2 is an improvement. The last time they got 1.2 was Milwaukee last year, immediately after the IRL 500 controversy... You have to go back to 2001 Michigan to go higher than 1.2.

All this with a caveat - it appears that this website does not consistently capture the numbers. For example, Fontana last year isn't listed. Sebring this year isn't listed for the ALMS. And on and on...

Oh, Jay, last year Long Beach was on Fox, and got a 1.0.

Last edited by paul-collins; 15 May 2003 at 16:21.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 15 May 2003, 22:38 (Ref:600382)   #20
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah, Michigan 2001. Good race. Great finish...
Old 16 May 2003, 05:30 (Ref:600545)   #21
BobbyB
Racer

United States
Santa Barbara, CA, USA
BobbyB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
Looking at Motorsportstv's ratings reporting, CART has been hammered by being on Speed.
say what you like, but I think SPEED does an outstanding job... the mix of Varsha, Kendall, Pruett, Fish and Derek Daly are as good as you could ask for in my opinion. When CBS uses their services, its almost as good, but not quite for some reason. Don't mess up a good thing!
Old 16 May 2003, 15:30 (Ref:601109)   #22
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BobbyB, don't mistake my comment on ratings as a slam against Speed. It's simply about the number of households that get Speed.

What CART needs to do is rebuild its profile to where the main networks want to carry them again. Simply put, a specialty channel will never deliver the households they need to show sponsors their product is worth the investment. A general broadcast channel can. CBS has shown that.

I love Speed, for its ALMS, CART, F1, and other non-oval racing.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 17 May 2003, 20:04 (Ref:602037)   #23
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
I know that this has nothing to do with the thread, but give me a break... I'm excited.

BRING ON MILWAUKEE

Just got home from the store, replacing my 19" TV with a 31", and I'm bumming that I've got to wait a couple of weeks to watch a race!

At least the schedule is going to start tightening up now. The beginning of the season has way too much downtime.
Old 17 May 2003, 21:57 (Ref:602139)   #24
BobbyB
Racer

United States
Santa Barbara, CA, USA
BobbyB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
macdaddy-
You're going to go nuts with that 31" tube. Enjoy!