Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 3 Jul 2000, 17:55 (Ref:21163)   #1
Geva racing
Racer

Geva racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that AUTOSPORT is the best motorsport-magazine that cuurently is being sold.

I like the fact that they adrees a lot of different sorts of motorsport.

They should keep focussing on the national scene a bid more I think but all in all it's a great Magazine
Old 3 Jul 2000, 23:32 (Ref:21249)   #2
Schume
Racer

Schume should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autosport is definately a good mag and has grown in popularity recently on the back of the growth in F1 and all the other major formulae. Plus it's image has changed to give it more of a "buy me" look.

The national scene only receives headline coverage. Motoring News is a better bet for more detail coverage, just incase you haven't tried it.
Old 4 Jul 2000, 00:44 (Ref:21285)   #3
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I buy Autosport on the basis that I get F1 news quicker than I would from F1 Racing, which is now too expensive.

Although I am not an avid follower of other forms of motorsport, I still find the F3000, CART and Rallying reports of particular interest.
Old 5 Jul 2000, 09:03 (Ref:21549)   #4
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To be honest, I think that Autosport has gone off a bit. Especially since the new editor came on board and started trying to find a pun or a gag to put in every single title.

However, for completeness, I will still continue to buy. It's irritating. The information I could find useful is often to be found in Motoring News, but in its newspaper format, it is almost completely impossible to store in good condition.

I am an avid reader of Motor Sport, and I haven't missed a copy since October 1972. I've now got a complete post-war run, and a good selection of editions from the 1930s. At an average value of about £15 per month, the pre war ones become a very expensive hobby, but they are fascinating.

Motor Sport went through a very poor period a few years ago, but they are right back up there with their erudite features on motor racing's past glories.

And the best news of all is that the great "HISTORIC RACING" magazine will be re-launched next month. They've tried it before, but it didn't catch on. Hopefully this time it will take root. I cannot think of a better, more skilfully written, more knowledgeable magazine.
Old 5 Jul 2000, 16:41 (Ref:21627)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I have no idea what is available in the UK or elswhere but here in OZ there is some good mags around..auotsport is by far and away the best mag for my interests in the sport....F1 F3 F3000 and other junior formulae..but sadly it is getting expensive over here and my local newsagent carnt get it early enough so it is always 2 months behind...totally ridiculous in my view ..but i still have a sneak at it every week when im in there.

best newspapers we have are auto action and motorsport news (the latter I believe 10 tenths member falcodore works for)..auto action is weekly and motorsport news is bi weekly ..both good reads and reasonably priced...dont bother with many other mags because i find I can get news and history info here on the net alot quicker.
Old 5 Jul 2000, 17:56 (Ref:21642)   #6
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with Tim that Autosport has definitely gone off since it got its new editor, but then it does seem to go through phases where it isn't as good as it could be. One point recently is who let an issue go out containing the truly terrible pictures from Goodwood. There was a whole page of pictures that looked like they'd been taken by freeze framing a video - not good
However, in terms of general mags covering as many series as possible, Autosport is the best around. I do buy Motoring News when I can, but it's very rarely that I can find it on sale in the shops around here. I get Autosport on subscription now, but prior to that I had to get the newsagent to get it in especially for me each week because it just doesn't seem to make it to the newsagents here, although saying that, W H Smith do seem to be stocking it on a much more regular basis.
Old 5 Jul 2000, 19:36 (Ref:21657)   #7
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Tim and Carrie that Autosport isn't what it used to be since Anthony Rowlinson took over from Mark Skewis.
But I will keep buying it, like Tim said for completeness.
As a matter of fact, I've always bought the magazine from the shelf, but now I subscribed to it through our very own magazine store.

And yes, MotorSport is the magazine you must have when you're interested in the history of motor racing.
It has been a bit of a let down in the past but Andrew Frankel has done a good job and with the co-operation of Nigel Roebuck, Alan Henry, Chris Nixon and Adam Cooper it is now a magazine I wouldn't want to miss.
The July issue features an article called '50 years of formula one' in which Martin Brundle tests 5 grand prix cars, a Connaught, BRM, Brabham-Alfa, Beatrice-Lola and a Tyrrell. Awesome.
It also has a great article about Bruce McLaren.
Great magazine!

Old 5 Jul 2000, 19:45 (Ref:21661)   #8
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Autosport is too expensive for a weekly mag.
Old 6 Jul 2000, 20:00 (Ref:21890)   #9
bobdrummond
Racer

bobdrummond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been a reader of Autosport since I was 12 and have been a weekly consumer since '87. I also think that it isn't as good as it was. I was particularly peeved at the turn of the year when the season reviews/new car launches were featured. They were terrible. The season review for Champ Cars, Nascar and World Rallying suffered terribly in comparison to that offered to F1. I accept that F1 is the most popular form of the sport, but Autosport is becoming too biased. The pro-Button frenzy whipped up by Autosport did nothing for me except make me dislike Mr. Button.

I do like the increased coverage of the WRC rounds this year and the new gossipy bit. I'd like to see more US racing covered.

If it wasn't for the Appointments section at the back, I'd have stopped my subscription and gone over to Motoring News 6 months ago. MN offers superior value for money.

Other good magazines include Rally-Sport and Racer (the latter being a good US monthly).
Old 6 Jul 2000, 20:09 (Ref:21895)   #10
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Autosport are obsessed with Button. How many covers has he been on this season??? And yes, those pictures from Goodwood, and all the F1 pictures too in that issue, were appalling - all pixellated.

Tut tut.
Old 6 Jul 2000, 20:17 (Ref:21897)   #11
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, MF, YOU are obsessed with Button! It is a British magazine after all - why wouldn't they feature Brits on the cover ? I notice DC is there this week - maybe it should have been Marc Gene ?

If anything, I have a problem with them featuring F1 all the bloody time! Do they not realise that there is a life outside that BS ? I mean, when the two guys were killed at Goodwood, it didn't even get a mention until about page 12
Old 6 Jul 2000, 20:19 (Ref:21898)   #12
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Talking of Motoring News, do they do a subscription service does anyone know ? It is a totally lost cause to try and get any of our local newsagents to stock it