Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Jul 2010, 14:29 (Ref:2724925)   #1
Andrew Busby
Rookie

Andrew Busby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands Hatch British Grand Prix

What a fantastic race the British Grand Prix (would have been) if held at the only circuit in this country worthy........Silverstone will only ever be a flat, soulless expance of Northamptonshire.

Discuss......
Old 11 Jul 2010, 14:38 (Ref:2724929)   #2
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Disagree. Brand Hatch has Paddock Hill Bend is an excellent corner though.

The changes to the circuit I also quite like.

Also it was a fantastic race in my opinion.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 15:13 (Ref:2724942)   #3
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Brands Hatch can't deliver the safety upgrades to the circuit demanded by F1, it can't cope with the crowds (310,000 at Silverstone) or the traffic, or the motorhomes, the helicopters, the Paddock Club, etc etc.

The last time Brands won the British GP back in Octagon days they found this out and had to lease Silverstone and ended up losing millions buying out their contract with Bernie.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 15:23 (Ref:2724946)   #4
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
There are loads of good circuits in the UK, Brands included, but Silverstone is the only one capable of holding a contemporary Grand Prix. End of story really.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 16:03 (Ref:2724964)   #5
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We'd all love to see the GP go to brands or Oulton but will never happen. Silverstone is the place capable of staging it.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 16:07 (Ref:2724965)   #6
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
brands hatch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although In my opinion brands hatch is the best circuit in the country by far, and no matter how much i wish it could be possible, I am inclined to agree that practically speaking, it would be "impossible" or indeed very difficult for it ever to hold a GP again....the "site" at which brands is located is too confined i.e between A20/M20, houses/west kingsdown etc etc, there is very little room for expanse outwards...so not likely or practical...but we can all wish!
Old 11 Jul 2010, 17:37 (Ref:2725007)   #7
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
If you love Brands you should pray it never gets the Grand Prix. The track, indeed the whole facility, would be altered beyond recognition.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 17:39 (Ref:2725010)   #8
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
brands hatch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
If you love Brands you should pray it never gets the Grand Prix. The track, indeed the whole facility, would be altered beyond recognition.
Indeed, a fair point!
Old 11 Jul 2010, 18:03 (Ref:2725027)   #9
westfieldbend
Veteran

westfieldbend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It could be done if someone wanted to waste a load of money ripping the decent flowing track with HISTORY to pieces and laying a boring 'tilke track' (anyone see the plans for 2003 GP at brands - would have complete ruined flow of circuit).

But that won't happen with JP in charge! He wouldn't pay WSBK a bit more to keep the championship at the circuit, I don't think he would pay the millions for F1 facilitys/circuit and £MILLION a year fee...

So I think the circuit is safe!!

Old 11 Jul 2010, 18:43 (Ref:2725043)   #10
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Brands Hatch is an amazing track. Its a shame they had to alter Graham Hill Bend, which I believe was for the bikes, but can't be sure.

Leave the tracks as they are please, they dont need changing, ever.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 18:44 (Ref:2725044)   #11
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by westfieldbend View Post
It could be done if someone wanted to waste a load of money ripping the decent flowing track with HISTORY to pieces and laying a boring 'tilke track' (anyone see the plans for 2003 GP at brands - would have complete ruined flow of circuit).

But that won't happen with JP in charge! He wouldn't pay WSBK a bit more to keep the championship at the circuit, I don't think he would pay the millions for F1 facilitys/circuit and £MILLION a year fee...

So I think the circuit is safe!!

Amen to that!
Old 12 Jul 2010, 08:11 (Ref:2725271)   #12
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to correct a few misapprehensions over the Brands Grand Prix bid in the late 90's. Brands did get planning permission from Sevenoaks District Council for the circuit works by 12 votes to 6. The local antis complained on environmental grounds and the Depart of the Environment called the plans in. That is when Octagon got hold of Silverstone.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 08:23 (Ref:2725277)   #13
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by westfieldbend View Post
I'd love to see this....???

Selby

--EDIT--

Found it -

Not actually quite as severe as I thought, but still.
Old 20 Aug 2010, 17:26 (Ref:2747687)   #14
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Brands Hatch is an amazing track. I remember the 1985 and 1986 races there in particular. I admit it is a more interesting track than Silverstone. However it would very difficult for an F1 car to overtake there nowadays(remember the old CART race there a few years ago). Plus it would never meet the safety standards(run off areas, etc). I can just see Tilke willing to take an axe to this great circuit - so it is best not to put a F1 race there.
Old 20 Aug 2010, 18:36 (Ref:2747718)   #15
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always thought that Donnington would make a wonderful modern GP circuit, whos with me, we could pay for it with debentures.....

oh hang on..!
Old 20 Aug 2010, 21:35 (Ref:2747795)   #16
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
Agreed.

What i'd like to have seen, bearing in mind i live about 15 miles from Brands was for the race to stay at Silverstone, but UK testing done at Brands. Never gonna happen, but a nice thought!
Old 20 Aug 2010, 23:01 (Ref:2747830)   #17
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your correct that Graham Hill bend was indeed changed due to bike racing. Please no GP unless it's going to stay exactly as it is. One thing always confused me about the "new" layout when Octagon won the rights was that it wouldn't have been long enough to fit the then and current criteria for length.
Old 21 Aug 2010, 14:15 (Ref:2747980)   #18
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the current type of F1 cars, Brands Hatch would be processional. It's a circuit that requires steel brakes instead of carbon ones to provide some overtaking spectacle.
Old 21 Aug 2010, 14:44 (Ref:2747984)   #19
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was great when the British GP alternated between the two
Old 21 Aug 2010, 15:27 (Ref:2747996)   #20
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How bloody awful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
I'd love to see this....???

Selby

--EDIT--

Found it -

Not actually quite as severe as I thought, but still.
Old 21 Aug 2010, 17:18 (Ref:2748029)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nope,

It's a non thread.

Brands is a great cicuit, as is Silverstone. Silverstone has it because it is adaptable, and more to the point, stonkingly fast.
Old 24 Aug 2010, 05:26 (Ref:2749308)   #22
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No way is there going to be a GP at Brands, not with the Foulston/Ecclestone histrory.