Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 8 Jun 2011, 00:25 (Ref:2893174)   #26
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but it may fill in a few blanks.

Tech Del (the manufacturers of Minilite wheels) bought the RNR1A shown in the Autosport photo earlier, for Jeremy Lord to race in the 1970 Motoring News Sports GT Championship. It had a Brian Hart-supplied Cosworth FVA engine. At first it was raced in the same blue and orange colours, but was then re-painted in Minilite colours. Lord won the championship.

Towards the end of the season there was a round at Castle Combe and Guy Edwards turned up with the Philips-sponsored RNR2 FVC. After a reasonably close battle Lord won and said his car handled better than the RNR2, because whenever he looked in in his mirrors when exiting a corner to see where Edwards he was always on opposite lock!

Lord and Minilite switched to a Lola T212, which Edwards and Franey also raced with poor results in Europe. A DNQ at Monza, an accident at the Nurburgring and and an engine-blow-up in Austria.

The Astra had been retained and the team used it again for 1972, when Lord won the championship for a second time.

The car was sold to Frank Aston who raced it in 1973. Lord and Minilite were out to prove a point with the Lola T212. now with an FVA engine, and won all 13 rounds, either overall or in class. Throughout this time Les Aylett was racing an Ardua in the same class, but was never involved with the Astra, although some wag suggested it on the basis of the motto "Per Ardua Ad Astra"!

I think it's true had that Frank Aston crashed the Astra at Oulton Park and effectively wrote it off. Remember the chassis was marine ply. The story goes that he salvaged everything that re-usable - suspension, wheels etc and made a fine bonfire of what was left.
Old 11 Jun 2011, 22:56 (Ref:2896199)   #27
apexster
Rookie

apexster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Landar R8 Monterey

Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
Were you still the owner of 750901 when it appeared at the Motorsport Reunion at Laguna Seca in 2010?
Yes.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 16:52 (Ref:2897192)   #28
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexster View Post
Yes.
then we have met
Old 14 Jun 2011, 03:17 (Ref:2898539)   #29
apexster
Rookie

apexster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monterey

Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
then we have met
Excellent! I think I remember you - wearing a press pass maybe... We thoroughly enjoyed the event, but unfortunately were plagued with a brake issue and thereby relegated to the back of the pack. Last week's Sonoma Historic went much better for us. We'll be at Monterey again this year. Be sure to stop by for a chat if you're attending.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 08:15 (Ref:2898616)   #30
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexster View Post
Excellent! I think I remember you - wearing a press pass maybe... We thoroughly enjoyed the event, but unfortunately were plagued with a brake issue and thereby relegated to the back of the pack. Last week's Sonoma Historic went much better for us. We'll be at Monterey again this year. Be sure to stop by for a chat if you're attending.
I was wearing a press pass last year, and will be doing so this year. See you in August.
Attached Thumbnails
JQ6M2880.1.jpg