Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Aug 2010, 08:11 (Ref:2740238)   #76
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd stop watching if I lost my vision.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 09:43 (Ref:2740281)   #77
HughGJohnson
Racer

Switzerland
like Bill Maher, "I'm Swiss"
HughGJohnson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I actually couldn't think of anything, until I saw this thread:
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123913

spec cars=
Old 6 Aug 2010, 12:27 (Ref:2740352)   #78
AndyN
Rookie

England
Somerset, naturalised
AndyN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cameron Diaz arriving at my house in a road-going Ferrari 312PB.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 16:39 (Ref:2740502)   #79
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Being a Facebook user, if I were to follow this link to the letter I would be physically incapable of watching any more Grand Prix, probably before the lights changed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
By the way, for those of you who have Facebook, this group cracked me up. The level of detail is funny: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-BB...12753062075349

If you do play it though, you will end up
Old 6 Aug 2010, 21:17 (Ref:2740654)   #80
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughGJohnson View Post
I actually couldn't think of anything, until I saw this thread:
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123913

spec cars=
Nice to know I helped you think.

Don't worry, F1 will never get spec cars.
Old 12 Aug 2010, 15:03 (Ref:2743579)   #81
Shoe-maker
Racer

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Shoe-maker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nothing would stop me watching it. There's too many precious people moaning about their agonies, for my liking.
Old 12 Aug 2010, 15:35 (Ref:2743596)   #82
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

When the aero comes off - I would subscribe immediately!
I would stop watching F1 is the aero came off, cause then it wouldnt really be F1 anymore. If you hate the aero so much why dont you watch touring cars or something instead?
Old 12 Aug 2010, 15:55 (Ref:2743609)   #83
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 used to exist quite well without aero in the past.
Old 13 Aug 2010, 00:28 (Ref:2743841)   #84
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Stop watching what... ??
Old 13 Aug 2010, 00:46 (Ref:2743854)   #85
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
I would stop watching F1 is the aero came off, cause then it wouldnt really be F1 anymore. If you hate the aero so much why dont you watch touring cars or something instead?
Touring car racing falls far short of open wheel racing is the simple answer.
An open wheeler should be light and hugely responsive, then the skill of the drivers becomes paramount in cut and thrust racing.
Aero makes the cars slower to respond to driver input and forces the drivers to use very smooth flowing lines to prevent the air flow being disturbed over the various surfaces. Sadly this totally ruins the racing.
High mechanical grip, big power, light weight and minimal aero dependence will lead to good racing!

Touring cars are heavy, unresponsive under tyred and underpowered.
Old 14 Aug 2010, 13:17 (Ref:2744515)   #86
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I'm very close to stopping watching as it is.

I certainly am not as interested in it as I was. Each year they keep erroding away all the traits I loved about the sport.

Gone are the amazing drivers circuits

Gone are the great looking wide cars

Gone are the sparks that used to fly up from the undertrays

Gone is the racing and passing

And so on.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 20:21 (Ref:2746228)   #87
Schumiforeverever
Rookie

Schumiforeverever has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Another Schumacher's retirement for sure.

Already the technical and sporting regulations applicable for those past seasons discouraged me a lot to be an unconditional F1 fan as i have been for years, plus the whole security around the circuits and the extreme strict penalties.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 20:27 (Ref:2746234)   #88
Schumiforeverever
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I'm very close to stopping watching as it is.

I certainly am not as interested in it as I was. Each year they keep erroding away all the traits I loved about the sport.

Gone are the amazing drivers circuits

Gone are the great looking wide cars

Gone are the sparks that used to fly up from the undertrays

Gone is the racing and passing

And so on.
Agreed.

Gone are the great moves.
Old 18 Aug 2010, 02:23 (Ref:2746376)   #89
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Each year they keep erroding away all the traits I loved about the sport.
I agree with that.
Old 18 Aug 2010, 05:30 (Ref:2746403)   #90
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only reason I watch it now is that it is on when I do my ironing and there is nothing else good on at the time. If the time changes or something worthwhile is placed up against it, I would not watch.
Old 18 Aug 2010, 07:40 (Ref:2746431)   #91
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkablamo View Post
The only reason I watch it now is that it is on when I do my ironing and there is nothing else good on at the time. If the time changes or something worthwhile is placed up against it, I would not watch.
Ouch!

What changes do you think it would need to make you want to watch?
Old 18 Aug 2010, 19:16 (Ref:2746728)   #92
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lewis Hamiton becoming a double world champion.....
Old 18 Aug 2010, 20:25 (Ref:2746772)   #93
Schumiforeverever
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby View Post
Lewis Hamiton becoming a double world champion.....

Or Alonso becoming a triple world champion.
Old 19 Aug 2010, 18:47 (Ref:2747263)   #94
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Reversing the question, I wouldn't miss Spa next weekend. There are at least two race meetings I could go to in this country that weekend, but I'm not.

The same goes for the Monza weekend, so if you want to know what will keep me watching it's races on circuits like that and Suzuka.
Old 19 Aug 2010, 20:30 (Ref:2747317)   #95
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monza is terrible, but I agree about Suzuka and Spa. The problem with Monza is that there are no corners and the few ones that are there are high speed so its impossible to cars to follow each other close, meaning 0 overtakings. Oh, there are chicanes too. Chicanes and straights .... yay
Old 19 Aug 2010, 22:00 (Ref:2747355)   #96
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
I suppose I like Monza because it was the first Grand Prix in Europe that I ever went to and I was completely sold on the place right there and then.

I've been back there a couple of times in recent years with other formulae and there's no other circuit that captures better the blend of the modern with the history of motor sport. If you haven't been you'll just have to trust me on that. Last time it was a real experience to be driven around behind the old banking and then for a short while on the old circuit itself.

As for the chicanes, I agree the first one is pretty terrible and the second one's not much better because it's so easy to straight line it, but the Variante Ascari is okay.
Old 19 Aug 2010, 22:48 (Ref:2747375)   #97
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Yeah, Ascari is ok, its almost like a corner sequence instead of a chicane. The most technical part of Monza.

I can see that history has value to certain people, however for me personally I dont believe in being conservative for the sake of being conservative. Monza is a bad circuit, no matter what history it has. It was much better for the old cars from the era it was designed, but for todays aeromonsters its sadly no good at all. Its about as good as the Daytona oval

Last edited by Wims; 19 Aug 2010 at 22:59.
Old 20 Aug 2010, 01:22 (Ref:2747411)   #98
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Ouch!

What changes do you think it would need to make you want to watch?
1. Better looking cars with better and more interesting paint jobs
2. Open technical regs - allow people to have a variety of engine types...if you want to go with a V12 - then sure, of if you want a 4cylinder turbo, then fine. Allow differences in aero and how the cars look.
3. Scrapping the limited engines per season rule (let them have a quali engine!)
4. driver personalities - let them do something like with Rossi and Lorenzo in Moto GP. I dare someone to laugh or play a practical joke
5. Better camera angles and quality of image
6. Tracks that have a lot of colour to them
7. More engaging commentary - again see MotoGP or Radio Le Mans
8. Cars that aren't so reliant on aero - so that they can get more sideways and can follow other cars
I like the idea of banning computers (except for designing the safety cell) - go back to the drawing board to see what interesting concepts they can come up with. Would be an interesting experiment.

That is all I can think of now.
Old 20 Aug 2010, 22:33 (Ref:2747824)   #99
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1 cars with an automatic gearbox!