Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 17 Nov 2011, 19:24 (Ref:2987885)   #1751
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Some sort of average km/h ballpark would be more believable instead of the 3:30. Most idiotic thing about the 3:30 is that whenever the track changes, the 3:30 doesn't adapt.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 19:25 (Ref:2987886)   #1752
lms
Veteran

Old 18 Nov 2011, 01:59 (Ref:2988048)   #1753
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Tougher curbs eventually break more cars. Probably one of the main reasons why the curbs are so flat.
Nobody forces drivers to jump the curbs. Actually, particularly at Le Mans it's easy to see how much risk someone is willing to take by looking at how they are attacking the curbs.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 02:03 (Ref:2988049)   #1754
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Tell that to ACO.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 02:37 (Ref:2988060)   #1755
F50GTPlus
Rookie

F50GTPlus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember the commentators saying at Le Mans that attacking the curbs could help you gain as much as half a second per lap, which would understandably be a risk worth taking in certain conditions... also wont the fact that the straights have been newly repaved help drop times below the 3:30 barrier even more
Old 18 Nov 2011, 03:53 (Ref:2988071)   #1756
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Ford Chicane.

Ickx 1969, barely kissing the line. Yes that's a ~600mm wide curb with some gravel/dirt behind it.

Davidson 2011, completely ignoring the line, just like everybody else.

He wouldn't do it if a). ACO wouldn't turn a blind eye to it, b) curbs could damage the car in the long run, or c). curbs would unsettle the car enough make curb hopping completely pointless.

Last edited by Pandamasque; 18 Nov 2011 at 03:58.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 04:15 (Ref:2988079)   #1757
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Not completely relevant but saw this in a DTM dicussion recently...

Old 18 Nov 2011, 04:58 (Ref:2988087)   #1758
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey, the rules make sense to me. Purposely cut corners and run wide way off the track lap after lap? Meh. Blow visible smoke from your diesel? Meh. Drive a GT car and be the victim of a loose cannon LMP1 factory driver running into you? Exclusion!

OƆ∀
Old 18 Nov 2011, 06:06 (Ref:2988099)   #1759
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
i see nothing wrong with the diesels blowing smoke.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 06:11 (Ref:2988100)   #1760
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Irrelevant because:
5.5.3. - Smoke
The engine must not produce visible exhaust emissions under race conditions.
ACO ignoring its own rules is not irrelevant.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 06:28 (Ref:2988102)   #1761
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Neither do I , but then dont have a rule that says they shouldnt !!!

I do when there is a rule that says they shouldnt cuz , Ive seen plenty of teams getting a DQ over something silly , really stupid over the years .

Simple solution ..... delete the rule .
Old 18 Nov 2011, 13:44 (Ref:2988247)   #1762
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Silverstone had an issue with FIA GT cars cutting the Maggotts kerbing. They put a yellow tyre wall up. You can just see it in this image...

It took 4 laps for Grosjean, to brush it hard enough to shift it! Then the drivers were back to cutting Maggotts again. I'd have semi fixed tyre walls on all these chicanes, and make drivers have to almost stop if they cut through off the track. Make it a massive penalty in time, for cutting a corner.
Also, make the kerbs more aggressive, you lose MotoGP, as those guys demanded the new kerbs at Silverstone! So everyone drives over them now... But the bikes DO fetch in a LOT of money.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 18:04 (Ref:2988353)   #1763
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
@deggis LOL! I barely ever watch DTM, but when I watched it last time (Dijon last year) it seemed the track edges there were defined only by walls.
...and they kept getting punctures.. hmmmm *chin stroke*.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 18:14 (Ref:2988362)   #1764
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've not got any problem with driver launching cars over kerbs but I do agree that it is a fairly practical means of slowing them down - if need be.

But yeah I think my avatar says it all.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 18:22 (Ref:2988368)   #1765
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Your avatar is easily within the rules
Old 19 Nov 2011, 00:55 (Ref:2988581)   #1766
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
Ford Chicane.

Ickx 1969, barely kissing the line. Yes that's a ~600mm wide curb with some gravel/dirt behind it.

Davidson 2011, completely ignoring the line, just like everybody else.

He wouldn't do it if a). ACO wouldn't turn a blind eye to it, b) curbs could damage the car in the long run, or c). curbs would unsettle the car enough make curb hopping completely pointless.
very probably risi 430 had serious transission damages in 2010 because of these rides on the curbs.
The problem "of the track" is that drivers use the tarmac runoff to have a better turn speed, apparently the race direction let use them these areas, so drivers use them. You can notice it also in other area like the tetre rouge and end of porsche section.
Old 10 Dec 2011, 03:29 (Ref:2997866)   #1767
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This might feel like endless rehashing of a subject most don't want to hear about, but it might become relevant again when Pescarolo confirms they can't enter 2 new cars in the WEC:

French magazine Auto-Hebdo tested the 2011 Pescarolo 01 at the Bugatti circuit after the Estoril race. The article is interesting because of the comparison with the 908 FAP, the R15+ and the R18 - all previously driven by the journalist - but also because it updates the numbers Henri Pescarolo previously alluded to regarding ACO-recorded time traps. The ACO gave the team the times they recorded at this year's 24h (over 400m at the start of the pit straight accelerating from 130km/h) for their car, the Audi and the Peugeot. They are: 6"902 for the best 908, 6"979 for Audi and 7"258 for Pescarolo. They even dug out their 2009 time (when the engine made 670 hp): 7"040. This proves clearly that the diesel's torque makes them faster SOLELY IN A STRAIGHT LINE than both a 2009 engine making 100+ more horses and a 2011 engine running with a dispensation giving it 1600cc extra - and thus extra torque.

In French they use the expression CQFD; ce qu'il fallait démontrer. *What had to be demonstrated.

The only bit of info that's missing is the best P2 Nissan time. Based on personal observations on location, I wouldn't be surprised if it was closer to Petrol P1 times than PP1 times are to Diesel P1s.
Old 11 Dec 2011, 15:00 (Ref:2998425)   #1768
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The big holes have debuted with Oak at Sebring, and Mike has some pictures on his site HERE. Looks pretty much like I imagined it too - incomplete - like something just broke off the car.
Old 11 Dec 2011, 19:53 (Ref:2998514)   #1769
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm a coupe fan but the OAK is up there with my favourites, I'd like to see a comparison between this and Pescarolo's car, and can't wait to see what their 2014 coupe looks like.
Old 12 Dec 2011, 00:23 (Ref:2998593)   #1770
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
The big holes have debuted with Oak at Sebring, and Mike has some pictures on his site HERE. Looks pretty much like I imagined it too - incomplete - like something just broke off the car.
Where is the Big Honkin' Fin in those pictures?
Old 12 Dec 2011, 01:02 (Ref:2998600)   #1771
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtummer View Post
Where is the Big Honkin' Fin in those pictures?
Good question. That is going to be mandatory next year as well, so why test an intermediate aero development? Perhaps they don't see the fin as being that big of a deal aero wise?
Old 12 Dec 2011, 05:06 (Ref:2998639)   #1772
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Oh dear... Looks like a piece of pickup rubber knocked some of the grills out.

It will actually look better with a Big Honking Fin. One would never see more than 3 of those holes at a time*

Old 12 Dec 2011, 05:55 (Ref:2998643)   #1773
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I dont mind the holes ..... but that fin is nothing short of a right **** up !!!
Old 12 Dec 2011, 09:12 (Ref:2998676)   #1774
cdsvg
Racer

Australia
cdsvg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The news post sums it up perfectly:

Quote:
Hopefully the 2014 rules will do away with the band-aid aero fixes the ACO rules have been adopting since 2004.
Old 12 Dec 2011, 12:03 (Ref:2998747)   #1775
lms
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsvg View Post
The news post sums it up perfectly:
right. but then the shorter, narrower and taller(?) cars will come, coupés only I guess.... (in lmp1)
and yes. the bhfs and bhhs are ugly as hell on the current cars.