Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 12 Sep 2017, 17:01 (Ref:3766332)   #276
GriffM3
Racer

United States
Houston, TX
GriffM3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
If the M8 GTE goes fast natively, all will be done with the BoP to slow it down.
So true...in await the sand bag fest that is coming in 2018.
Old 12 Sep 2017, 17:39 (Ref:3766346)   #277
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
bentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just can't get over that front end, but the rear diffuser looks quite extreme. Overall, it's not pretty imho although it looks quite menacing.
Old 12 Sep 2017, 17:44 (Ref:3766349)   #278
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeW04 View Post
I love the current GTE regs
100 or 150 HP more would be good and 50 or 100 kg less would also be good too. 1238kg is too heavy for a current high-tech race car and 500 HP is very low power, a lot of Road Sportscar has more power.
Old 12 Sep 2017, 20:18 (Ref:3766381)   #279
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I would like if they just had a minimum weight for the cars at something like 1150, 1200kg and let the power be adjusted accordingly. They're roadblocks in the corners. So increasing corner speeds could be done with lower weight. That way they aren't too fast in the straights and p2's and p1's can still pass them easily.
Old 13 Sep 2017, 10:10 (Ref:3766476)   #280
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Love the new M8, hope it goes well
Old 14 Sep 2017, 09:59 (Ref:3766774)   #281
Mitchi_S
Racer

Germany
LG
Mitchi_S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
100 or 150 HP more would be good and 50 or 100 kg less would also be good too. 1238kg is too heavy for a current high-tech race car and 500 HP is very low power, a lot of Road Sportscar has more power.
This, plus maybe carbon brakes, if they're not too costly.
Porsche would have to go forced induction but that shouldn't be a problem.
Old 14 Sep 2017, 19:31 (Ref:3766896)   #282
OmerRS
Rookie

OmerRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchi_S View Post
This, plus maybe carbon brakes, if they're not too costly.
Porsche would have to go forced induction but that shouldn't be a problem.
Can they compete with P2 cars around La sarthe circuit? I think +100 hp -100 kg should make quite a difference during LM24 if they have decent fuel capacity.
Old 14 Sep 2017, 20:11 (Ref:3766903)   #283
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
They're about 20-25 seconds slower than the new p2's. I think that gives them some leeway to increase speeds. I wouldn't go over 550hp. I think lowering the weight to 1150kg, 1200kg max with a little more power would be the best bet. That would increase fuel efficiency too which might be negated with the extra power. So their stints would probably stay the same.
Old 15 Sep 2017, 00:45 (Ref:3766931)   #284
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
They're about 20-25 seconds slower than the new p2's. I think that gives them some leeway to increase speeds. I wouldn't go over 550hp. I think lowering the weight to 1150kg, 1200kg max with a little more power would be the best bet. That would increase fuel efficiency too which might be negated with the extra power. So their stints would probably stay the same.
Sincerely I would like to have GTE with 1100 Kg and 700 HP.
They should be 10 or 12 seconds faster than now and they would bring closer the gap with the LMP2 being able to mix between them.
I honestly do not know why you're so worried about simplifying things for P1 and P2 drivers.
Simple things produce linear and boring races, this way we will have more emotion and the best drivers will surely make a difference.
Some fight between classes always improves the level of the races, you should remember the ALMS 2007 and 2008 that produced some of the best races in history.
Old 15 Sep 2017, 01:39 (Ref:3766936)   #285
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
If that's the way you want things to be, then why have different classes?

Mind you, I think it's kinda stupid that some of the GTE cars make less power than their road going counterparts, even if the race cars are still way faster around a race track.
Old 15 Sep 2017, 04:36 (Ref:3766963)   #286
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
Sincerely I would like to have GTE with 1100 Kg and 700 HP.
They should be 10 or 12 seconds faster than now and they would bring closer the gap with the LMP2 being able to mix between them.
I honestly do not know why you're so worried about simplifying things for P1 and P2 drivers.
Simple things produce linear and boring races, this way we will have more emotion and the best drivers will surely make a difference.
Some fight between classes always improves the level of the races, you should remember the ALMS 2007 and 2008 that produced some of the best races in history.
The cars are too slow in the corners. They don't need to have a lot more power because the classes are not there to race eachother but be separate. That's why they sped up lmp2. The GTE's were getting quicker naturally and they wanted p2 to be able to pass them more easily. The cornering speeds are a big gap. If they had more speed it'd be less dangerous and the ACO wouldn't have to worry about tracks with excessive run-off because the cornering speeds being closer means the prototype cars won't have to make crazy moves to lap them in turns.
Old 15 Sep 2017, 07:36 (Ref:3767004)   #287
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm not sure I agree that they are too slow in the corners. The whole point in class racing is dealing with things like that. The GTE cars should be road blocks in the corners. Speed difference between the classes right now is perfect.
Old 15 Sep 2017, 07:47 (Ref:3767008)   #288
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Are the GT cars too slow in the corners, or are the prototypes too fast through the corners?
Old 15 Sep 2017, 16:03 (Ref:3767143)   #289
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Not to mention that the reason why LMP2 got sped up was that LMP2 cars and GTE cars were making roughly the same power, but even though the LMP2s were lighter, they were also draggier so top speeds weren't much different.

Just be glad that GT1 isn't around anymore, because even the LMP1 hybrids would have trouble pulling those 650-700bhp monsters on top end. And in '05 the Aston Martin DBR9s were faster down the straights at LM than all the LMP2 cars and most of the LMP1s. Even the Pescarolo C60Hs weren't a ton faster down the straights. Or even the Audi R10s even in '06 (they were often topping out at barely over 200mph).
Old 15 Sep 2017, 17:01 (Ref:3767155)   #290
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
I would love to see GTE with the power levels of the old GT1 (650-700 HP).
I do not like the idea of simplify things to prototypes.

In my point of view an ideal championship should have 3 main classes balanced and a lower class.
These 3 classes should have a LMP1 just like now, a LMP2 with light spyders cars (750-775 Kg) as in the ALMS 2007-2008 and a GTP with cars like the 1997 FIA GT1 with large cabin and GT horn, which allows the current hypercar and GT500. Obviously with a good EOT between classes that allows everyone to fight for overall victory.
And the lower class would be the GT3 where all the amateur drivers would take place.
I hate the current LMP2 which is almost a Spec series.
Old 15 Sep 2017, 21:21 (Ref:3767216)   #291
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I'm not sure I agree that they are too slow in the corners. The whole point in class racing is dealing with things like that. The GTE cars should be road blocks in the corners. Speed difference between the classes right now is perfect.
The drivers say they are too slow through the corners. They sit there and block the prototypes as well. The closing speed is always going to be high, so it doesn't make any difference if the lmp's are more powerful now or before. It's mostly about the types of tracks that they race on and how they can pass or not pass. Those wide grade 1 tracks don't usually have that issue. But that's not the type of track that people want them running.
Old 15 Sep 2017, 21:38 (Ref:3767220)   #292
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Of course the drivers say they're too slow in the corners - they don't want to be held up. When the classes are closer in speed, the drivers complain they're too close - see LMP3/GTE/GT3 in ELMS/LM Cup.

I see that as part of dealing with multi-class racing. If the classes get equalised too much, then I don't see the point in different classes. GT cars are slow in the corners, but that's generally how it's always been. As long as it isn't dangerous (and we're having far less accidents now with the more powerful LMP1 and LMP2 cars), I don't see the problem with it. Traffic management is part of the skillset required. If you have to wait behind a car for a corner, you have to wait behind. It's also why I enjoyed Mexico more than I expected - because the track forced the P1 drivers to be smart about where they could pass in the esses. Track itself seems quite bleh, but it produced great traffic situations round the back of the circuit.

I personally don't have a problem with the current setup. Given the rising prices of GTE cars, I'd rather not see even faster cars introduced.
Old 15 Sep 2017, 22:12 (Ref:3767231)   #293
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
If GTLM cars had the same power as the production cars, they would make the same lap times as LMP2.
Old 15 Sep 2017, 22:37 (Ref:3767241)   #294
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Of course the drivers say they're too slow in the corners - they don't want to be held up. When the classes are closer in speed, the drivers complain they're too close - see LMP3/GTE/GT3 in ELMS/LM Cup.

I see that as part of dealing with multi-class racing. If the classes get equalised too much, then I don't see the point in different classes. GT cars are slow in the corners, but that's generally how it's always been. As long as it isn't dangerous (and we're having far less accidents now with the more powerful LMP1 and LMP2 cars), I don't see the problem with it. Traffic management is part of the skillset required. If you have to wait behind a car for a corner, you have to wait behind. It's also why I enjoyed Mexico more than I expected - because the track forced the P1 drivers to be smart about where they could pass in the esses. Track itself seems quite bleh, but it produced great traffic situations round the back of the circuit.

I personally don't have a problem with the current setup. Given the rising prices of GTE cars, I'd rather not see even faster cars introduced.
They're already ballasted. Taking away some of that is all that's needed. That's not going to be a big expense. Yes, drivers are going to complain regardless. The fact is that the GT's are slow through turns in comparison and they feel that's dangerous. I think that they ruin the flow of the battles in lmp more than add to the race. That's on top of blocking because it's harder to move their car to another line. There's already talk of speeding up the cars. My take on it is they should drop the weight instead of giving more power. It'll make them more efficient as well, which is a big deal to all these manufacturers.
Old 16 Sep 2017, 12:09 (Ref:3767357)   #295
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Fair enough on the weight, I forgot they were ballasted up. I just don't really see the problem with the current speeds. I'm not seeing the current setup as dangerous. Accidents have reduced, and traffic management is part of the skill of multi-class racing.
Old 16 Sep 2017, 16:15 (Ref:3767444)   #296
TF110
Veteran

United States
This idea of mine stems from them wanting to speed the cars up as it's been talked about for a while now. So my idea would be to drop weight rather than add power. It will help with cornering speeds which lmp drivers have issue with, aid in efficiency and make them faster. Again, that's my opinion on what they should do if they're going to make GTE faster.
Old 16 Sep 2017, 16:37 (Ref:3767456)   #297
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Oh yeah, totally. If they're going to speed them up and they're ballasted down, then just drop the weight. Seems like an easy way to do it. I just don't think that the cars need sped up tbh. The cars are lapping about the speed of the old GT1 cars (give or take a second), with apparently less power, so the cornering speeds must be up.
Old 18 Sep 2017, 18:35 (Ref:3768358)   #298
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
so Porsche sold 6 mid engine 911s for next year each with list price of "991,000 Euros" according to S365....
Old 20 Sep 2017, 12:51 (Ref:3768783)   #299
Mitchi_S
Racer

Germany
LG
Mitchi_S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got a link to that?
Old 20 Sep 2017, 15:04 (Ref:3768809)   #300
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchi_S View Post
Got a link to that?

Here.
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/p...ined-911-rsrs/

L.P.