Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 12 Oct 2009, 16:36 (Ref:2559961)   #1251
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pitpass says it's game over already for Donington. If there is no British GP next year, it will seriously dent F1.
Old 12 Oct 2009, 16:40 (Ref:2559962)   #1252
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Another extension? It's certainly giving the conspiracy theorists credibility
Old 12 Oct 2009, 16:40 (Ref:2559964)   #1253
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnage arnie View Post
Autosport is saying the end of this week. Either way, your last line is still true!
They're actually saying two weeks, but it doesn't really matter if it's one, two or three weeks. It's not going to happen and when the deadline is changed time and time again, so Bernie is damaging his reputation as an ace negotiator.

He must really dislike the BRDC is all I can think.
Old 12 Oct 2009, 16:42 (Ref:2559966)   #1254
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bernie is holding out for Donnington as long as he can, hence the endless deadlines. He doesn't want to have to back to Silverstone looking like a chump. Then again if because of all this and there is no British GP, then he certainly will look like a chump.
Old 12 Oct 2009, 16:45 (Ref:2559969)   #1255
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Bernie is holding out for Donnington as long as he can, hence the endless dealines. He doesn't want to have to back to Silverstone looking like a chump. Then again if because of all this and there is no British GP, then he certainly will look like a chump.
I always thought Bernie was a bit of a Machiaveli but if you are right and it's as simple as that then he is a ... er ... chump.
Old 12 Oct 2009, 16:46 (Ref:2559970)   #1256
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
He must really dislike the BRDC is all I can think.
Think the feeling's mutual
Old 12 Oct 2009, 16:46 (Ref:2559973)   #1257
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
ive been a massive supporter of the donington gp since the project began but even i think its becoming a joke now. i didnt have anything against silverstone, i just think donington is a better track and it would be nice to share the gp around a bit.

its now getting beyond a joke though, a decision needs to be made either way.
Old 12 Oct 2009, 16:51 (Ref:2559977)   #1258
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
ive been a massive supporter of the donington gp since the project began but even i think its becoming a joke now. i didnt have anything against silverstone, i just think donington is a better track and it would be nice to share the gp around a bit.

its now getting beyond a joke though, a decision needs to be made either way.
I too would love to have seen F1 cars at Donnington but as you say a decision needs to be made now and with circumstances as they are it can only be in favour of Silverstone. Anything other than very quick confirmation of Silverstone will mean no British GP in 2010.
Old 12 Oct 2009, 17:14 (Ref:2559992)   #1259
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would anyone REALLY care?? There are other circus's to see,none with cars in though.
Old 12 Oct 2009, 17:30 (Ref:2560004)   #1260
Tyrrell
Rookie

Tyrrell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could it be that the final axe on the British GP falls on the day the FIA announce a new President? Nothing like a good day to release bad news is there?
Old 12 Oct 2009, 17:38 (Ref:2560013)   #1261
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Gillett's had more extensions than Amy Winehouse!
Old 12 Oct 2009, 17:44 (Ref:2560017)   #1262
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
I always thought Bernie was a bit of a Machiaveli but if you are right and it's as simple as that then he is a ... er ... chump.
He's Machiavelian all right but I think this time he's out Machiavelied himself.
Old 12 Oct 2009, 17:52 (Ref:2560020)   #1263
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is getting beyond stupid. At this rate, Gillett/Ecclestone will be the death of the British GP.
Old 12 Oct 2009, 18:16 (Ref:2560031)   #1264
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Donington fails, as it seems ever more likely that it will, I do hope that Silverstone is given the multi year deal it is after. If not, I can see the headlines now - 'Silverstone refuses to hold GP after Donington collapse'. 'I said they could have it but they didn't want it', said Mr Ecclestone. 'Therefore, Silverstone is responsible for the death of the British GP, not me or Mr Gillett'
Old 12 Oct 2009, 18:18 (Ref:2560034)   #1265
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnage arnie View Post
If Donington fails, as it seems ever more likely that it will, I do hope that Silverstone is given the multi year deal it is after. If not, I can see the headlines now - 'Silverstone refuses to hold GP after Donington collapse'. 'I said they could have it but they didn't want it', said Mr Ecclestone. 'Therefore, Silverstone is responsible for the death of the British GP, not me or Mr Gillett'
I am afraid this is exactly the outcome Bernie desires and is working towards.
Old 12 Oct 2009, 18:43 (Ref:2560047)   #1266
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Presumably part of the problem is that BCE (or FOM) or whichever part of the organisation grants the contracts, still has a multi year contract with Donington and whilst that is still unresolved they couldn't grant a multi year deal to the BRDC?

The BRDC are quite sensibly saying that a GP requires a multi year deal to enable the cost to be spread, BCE will no doubt wring his hands and say how dreadful it is that he can't grant them a multi year deal so the race is off.

Whichever way you cut it, he's going to try to come out of it with his hands clean...
Old 12 Oct 2009, 19:08 (Ref:2560062)   #1267
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
Presumably part of the problem is that BCE (or FOM) or whichever part of the organisation grants the contracts, still has a multi year contract with Donington and whilst that is still unresolved they couldn't grant a multi year deal to the BRDC?

The BRDC are quite sensibly saying that a GP requires a multi year deal to enable the cost to be spread, BCE will no doubt wring his hands and say how dreadful it is that he can't grant them a multi year deal so the race is off.

Whichever way you cut it, he's going to try to come out of it with his hands clean...
I'm sure he's wiping the bloo..(er?) mud off his hands as you typed that.
A total farce from start to finish!
Old 12 Oct 2009, 20:14 (Ref:2560115)   #1268
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I'm sure you're right, but what I don't understand is how Gillett can have failed to meet so many deadlines without being in breach of his contract.
Quote:
How can he even contemplate replacing the British Grand Prix with, say, Korea, when the whole of the F1 paddock wants the race to stay and the spectator attendance at this year's event was so good? I know Bernie is much more interested in his bankers and his investors, but there must come a point when the wishes of the people who put on the show count for something.
Quote:
You betcha!
Old 12 Oct 2009, 20:19 (Ref:2560120)   #1269
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I'm sure you're right, but what I don't understand is how Gillett can have failed to meet so many deadlines without being in breach of his contract.
I agree, I'm sure he has breached the contract but we don't know what the remedies are and until the legal "ends" are tied up would you want to grant a further contract?

Quote:
How can he even contemplate replacing the British Grand Prix with, say, Korea, when the whole of the F1 paddock wants the race to stay and the spectator attendance at this year's event was so good? I know Bernie is much more interested in his bankers and his investors, but there must come a point when the wishes of the people who put on the show count for something.
There is also the suggestion that under one of the Agreements (possibly the Concorde Agreement?) there is a requirement to hold a BGP. Presumably if there is no circuit willing and able to do that on the terms available then the requirement falls away, whether the situation has been manipulated or not?

Quote:
You betcha!
I'm sure you're familiar with the concept of equity - everyone comes to the table with clean hands

Last edited by Piglet; 12 Oct 2009 at 20:45. Reason: Very poor spelling!
Old 12 Oct 2009, 20:35 (Ref:2560132)   #1270
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

Quite...There are so many aspects to this matter I barely know where to start! Amongst the things that are a complete mystery to me are:

Why give Donington an extension to the GP contract before they had upgraded the venue or even held a GP, surely you extend a contract as a reward for doing a good job based on the result!

When the FIA is presenting the new F1 as having to be lean and mean, why are they watching sat on their hands as FOM tours the globe trying to get more far flung venues built to ever increasing demands, extravagance and expense - Abu Dhabi is rumoured to have cost circa £250 million to build. Many of the new venues will do little but gather dust in between GP's.

It's a scandal that a great and important event on the UK's sporting calendar has again become a pawn in the game. Can you imagine if the FA Cup Final, Grand National or Wimbledon Championships were under similar pressure and threat?
Old 12 Oct 2009, 21:31 (Ref:2560162)   #1271
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
There's quite a hard-hitting little piece on pitpass.com.

I can't really disagree with anything they say.
Old 12 Oct 2009, 22:44 (Ref:2560210)   #1272
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Assuming the whole thing goes belly up on failed funding the number of holes dug so far, as far as the Sutton Images library informs us, is not the end of the world in engineering terms and whatever work they support to the overall infrastructure may, if pursued, be beneficial as part of an overall facelift with or without the F1 circus.

I'm assuming that someone somewhere has enough cash and interest to take advantage of that activity to date.

What is more evident, and more so at this time of year when people are still out in their gardens than it was when the track was closed for the new tunnel construction in the middle of winter, is just how much quieter the area is absent any track activity. In fact it becomes evident just how much quieter modern planes have become compered with a decade or so ago. (Except the freight stuff in the early hours of the morning, the resident Spitfire, a semi-resident WWI era bi-plane, a few private Cessnas and similar, the Air Ambulance chopper that seems to be constantly flying in and out and anything military.)

Given an extended shutdown I think the locals could get used to this relative peace and quiet.

Someone somewhere mentioned commercial development at the PArk. Was something along those lines not already part ofthe overall plan? The Donington area currently has a series of commercial developments almost complete, a seemingly stall distribution centre development with a spare 180 acres or so of brown field to the north of the village and a proposal for another one between the airport and the M1 J24. \In addition there is a plan under consideration for 300 houses to the West of the current residantial development and another for a mix (I think) of housing and offices to the south between the village and the track. Plus the Manchester Airports Group, which owns and operates the airport, have been muttering for years about expansion in various forms.

It therefore seems to me that no matter what the locals may want the potential for getting planning permission for commercial development at the Park as well is high. On the other hand the competition to seel the schemes to paying customers amongst developers in the area, if all plans proceed, may be even higher. Such property developments may occur anyway irrespective of the presence or otherwise of the track and a contract to run a GP. And in all cases, unless all development is rejected or fails to progress for other reasons, the local road infrastructure needs to be enhanced.

Interestingly the Local Councils seems to have been remarkable quiet on all of this - or at least if they have said anything much it has not been reported anywhere that I have been reading. That's unusual.
Old 12 Oct 2009, 23:05 (Ref:2560222)   #1273
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Laurel and Hardy could hardly have done it better. Thats another fine mess you got me into Simon !!
Old 13 Oct 2009, 06:20 (Ref:2560367)   #1274
Mark H
Rookie

Mark H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie is now quoted ( telegraph on line)as saying two weeks is notice of breach of contract and Silverstone will be offered the race for 17 years if they default.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mot...on-doubts.html
Old 13 Oct 2009, 07:16 (Ref:2560376)   #1275
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If BE really wanted a GP at Donington Park, surely he would have just given SG the required funds and told him to get on with it.