Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 May 2012, 11:05 (Ref:3080473)   #51
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrogothicus View Post
Is there video of it?
Just asking because iirc Maldonado and others said there were no yellow flags visible.
Of course I may not be remembering correctly at all.

Anyway, an extremely short Monaco GP for Maldonado.
Of course he said he never saw yellow flags and that's probably true. There was FIA CCTV evidence that flags were out. That of course never made it to the public domain.

Why do you think that he and his team at the time (DAMS - one of the big boys) accepted the the ruling without bringing in the lawyers?

Maldonado is ruthless - but F1 does not usually favour gentle types.

edit for Greem, Monaco was the round after Zolder in 2005. Maldonado was already in a gravel trap before the big one that brought out the red at Zolder.

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 28 May 2012 at 11:12. Reason: info from crash.net report of Zolder
Old 28 May 2012, 11:07 (Ref:3080476)   #52
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
Greem, are you sure you are not confusing it with the incident at Zolder?
No, I'm not, although that one was one I'd forgotten. I think that and Monaco were in the same season.
Old 28 May 2012, 11:42 (Ref:3080499)   #53
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I guess if you come with $30m dollars of sponsorship you're quite entitled to bash your car about as and when the fancy takes you.

That said, he drove a brilliant race in Barcelona but can't say I like the bloke.
Old 28 May 2012, 13:07 (Ref:3080568)   #54
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Greem, are you sure you are not confusing it with the incident at Zolder?

http://youtu.be/kt5nt7IdyPs

(Not entirely sure that Maldonado was actually invloved tbh, think this was a fair few years ago - If it was, then its YET ANOTHER black mark against him)
whoever put the youtube video up with that title is wrong.

from an article written at the time

"Then, with Colin Fleming (Jenzer Motorsport) at a standstill on the edge of the track, the red flag was shown and the session was brought to a halt. As Alx Danielsson (Dams) pulled over to let another car through, he was unable to avoid American driver on the exit to the bend, resulting in a collision. Just a few seconds later, Stefano Proetto (Interwetten.com) himself ran into the two other cars. The medical team came to Alx Danielsson's assistance and he was taken to hospital with a broken ankle."

Maldonado may have crashed a lot that weekend, usually into gravel traps, but he was not involved in this one.
Old 28 May 2012, 14:26 (Ref:3080611)   #55
verglas
Racer

verglas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/4578667.stm

seems pretty conclusive to me.....ISTR that at the time ACM, the head honchos at Monaco vowed publicy to never allow the man to race there ever again....
Old 28 May 2012, 17:47 (Ref:3080703)   #56
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
they did, then they had to backtrack on it. understandable - i'm sure it'd be overturned at fia court level and just make them look silly.

this made me giggle from that article though:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastor maldonado
Being a responsible driver is part of what I am learning
evidently learning isn't one of his strong points then
Old 29 May 2012, 08:13 (Ref:3080996)   #57
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like Maldonado, I think he brings a lot to the show.

However, if he pulls a stunt like that again the officials really should send him home for the weekend. He clearly has anger management issues
Old 29 May 2012, 08:54 (Ref:3081013)   #58
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've looked at this several times now and I'm not fully convinced that Maldonado's move was deliberate. Clumsy, yes, but there's just no conclusive evidence to support it being deliberate. It would appear that the stewards came to a similar conclusion which is why he only received a 5 place grid penalty. Had it been proven to be intentional, then the sanction should be far more severe. This is very different from what happened at Spa last year, and in that instance, he ought to have been sanctioned more severely.
Old 29 May 2012, 08:59 (Ref:3081016)   #59
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
He was given a 10-place penalty.

Also, don't forget that the stweards would have had access to his onboards and data. They would be able to tell pretty easily if he was deliberatley steering towards Perez or catching a slide.

They should have sent him home. From my perspective, it looked so deliberate. This may of course be affected by double-jepordy.
Old 29 May 2012, 10:24 (Ref:3081063)   #60
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fair enough. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt, despite previous form.

That's the way justice seems to work these days anyway, no room for interpretation or opinion. If the data doesn't absolutely prove it he's off scot free.

I would say that if he does it again, or even appears to threaten another driver with a reckless angry manoever, he should be sent home to contemplate whether he really is cut out for the job.

It sends an awful message to youngsters watching, and driving standards are bad enough already as anyone seeing Conor Daly's lucky escape would understand.
Old 29 May 2012, 13:24 (Ref:3081183)   #61
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
He was given a 10-place penalty.

Also, don't forget that the stweards would have had access to his onboards and data. They would be able to tell pretty easily if he was deliberatley steering towards Perez or catching a slide.

They should have sent him home. From my perspective, it looked so deliberate. This may of course be affected by double-jepordy.
Given that he as on the approach to a corner and he moved in the direction of that corner, I don't know how any on board telemetry or footage could determine whether what he did was intentional or a mistake.
Old 29 May 2012, 16:35 (Ref:3081253)   #62
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe it was a intentional mistake...
Old 29 May 2012, 17:02 (Ref:3081276)   #63
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it was intentional he should have been sent home for his behaviour. If it was not intentional he should be sent home for not be able to drive a Formula 1-car properly around solid objects.
Old 29 May 2012, 17:08 (Ref:3081281)   #64
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe he has problems with peripheral vision...
Old 30 May 2012, 03:18 (Ref:3081592)   #65
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is this available for viewing anywhere?
Old 30 May 2012, 18:33 (Ref:3082029)   #66
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found it with our old friend google, although with Turkisch (I think) commentary.