Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 May 2012, 00:57 (Ref:3074090)   #26
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
2012 Spanish Grand Prix
13/05/2012

Montmelo, May 13th - The FIA can confirm that a fire broke out in the Williams garage after the conclusion of the Spanish Grand Prix. The flames were quickly brought under control through the combined intervention of staff from Williams, Caterham and Force India, supported by the circuit fire services.

Thirty-one team members were seen by Circuit Medical Centre staff and all have been released, with the exception of seven who were transferred to a variety of local hospitals where they are receiving treatment.

The FIA is collaborating closely with the Spanish authorities investigating this incident and will be providing a further update as soon as more information becomes available.
http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre...ire-spain.aspx
Old 14 May 2012, 02:07 (Ref:3074105)   #27
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I hope everyone is ok by now.
Old 14 May 2012, 21:06 (Ref:3074574)   #28
chrisjt1985
Racer

England
Bury
chrisjt1985 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
I hope everyone is ok by now.
Latest reports are in and there is only one mechanic still in hospital, hoping to return to the UK for Wednesday. Both the FIA and Williams are launching an enquiry as to what happened. Hope this ends up improving more things for F1. It was only Saturday evening me and another Marshal were talking about garage fires and the fears if one would happen!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18066927
Old 15 May 2012, 11:23 (Ref:3074750)   #29
TerryD
Racer

United Kingdom
Suffolk
TerryD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having watched the incident on 'youtube' thanks to the link in the posting I have one question. Where were the fire marshals? The only people I could see fighting the fire were team members who were not dressed to fight fires! They were very brave going into a fire in just polo shirts...
Old 15 May 2012, 11:32 (Ref:3074753)   #30
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
mini1400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryD View Post
Having watched the incident on 'youtube' thanks to the link in the posting I have one question. Where were the fire marshals? The only people I could see fighting the fire were team members who were not dressed to fight fires! They were very brave going into a fire in just polo shirts...
The marshals would have presumably been stood down at the end of the days racing. AFAIK the fire started about 90 minutes after the last race.
Old 15 May 2012, 12:38 (Ref:3074780)   #31
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would expect all the teams to have crew who are trained in fire fighting as they were essential in the days of refuelling, but it would be good housekeeping to keep their skills up to date.

One probable consequence of that fire is that some of the team's crew will stay in fire retardent clothing after the race to be ready deal with fire.
Old 15 May 2012, 13:17 (Ref:3074799)   #32
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
they are trained. if you look at some of the photos of the guys fighting the fire those are not the actions of first time extinguisher bandits, particularly the ones who were manning the hoses. they put it out. if they didn't know how to, it would have burned down the pit building.

what it's important to understand is that f1 is already tooled up to fight fires. there's already plenty of precautions taken in daily activities that you don't see or hear about in photos or on tv. you don't have to wear fireproofs all the time if you're handling the fuel responsibly and as such this was a freak accident that it seems didn't have anything to do with the way teams store or handle their fuel. they're not stupid and they have health and safety regs to dance to just like the rest of us. why do you think the caterham team uniform includes a hi-viz shirt for packup for example?

anyone who says otherwise hasn't been anywhere near f1 in person to see it in action.
Old 15 May 2012, 17:02 (Ref:3074894)   #33
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
. . . you don't have to wear fireproofs all the time if you're handling the fuel responsibly and as such this was a freak accident that it seems didn't have anything to do with the way teams store or handle their fuel.. . .
What? So you are saying that they were not handling the fuel responsibly? Or only when you are planning to have an accident should you bother with appropriate dress? Confused thinking here Bella.

Regards

Jim
Old 15 May 2012, 19:49 (Ref:3074965)   #34
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
not really, jim. i don't know how fuel handling has anything to do with the alleged cause of this, which was a spark from another piece of kit. that piece of kit is where the problem lies, not the fact an inherently flammable thing caught fire when exposed to a source of ignition. electrical equipment shouldn't create uncontrolled sparks. wearing fireproofs all the time wouldn't have stopped the fire happening. it might have meant some people came away without some serious burns, but there would have still been a fire.
Old 16 May 2012, 10:10 (Ref:3075197)   #35
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thought it was incredibly dumb of Sky to name a Williams team member who was dragged out of the fire with his legs on fire by a Sky camera man.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RznfekEqgQo
Old 16 May 2012, 10:19 (Ref:3075200)   #36
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
In fairness, it was all so sudden that it's kind of difficult to prepare for a situation like that live on television.

Selby
Old 16 May 2012, 11:11 (Ref:3075222)   #37
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I thought Sky went into Sky News vulture mode by reporting on it like they report on other 'live' news. I felt it was rubbernecking on Sky's part to some extent. They could have gone off air when there was nothing more to say.
Old 16 May 2012, 11:17 (Ref:3075224)   #38
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
As far as i am aware, they didn't stay on air past thier scheduled time.
Old 16 May 2012, 16:00 (Ref:3075357)   #39
TerryD
Racer

United Kingdom
Suffolk
Quote:
they are trained. if you look at some of the photos of the guys fighting the fire those are not the actions of first time extinguisher bandits, particularly the ones who were manning the hoses. they put it out. if they didn't know how to, it would have burned down the pit building.
You obviously know nothing about fighting a fire then!
Old 16 May 2012, 21:34 (Ref:3075475)   #40
chrisjt1985
Racer

England
Bury
Quote:
OK, ok, before this gets harsh, lets just remember that, whatever training they have (and I bet that's better then any workplace fire warden gets), everyone got out alive, most without injury, and the fire was under control within what can be considered a fast-time. Lets allow the FIA, and Williams to conduct their investigation, give recommendations as to what could have been done better, and enjoy what will hopefully be a very close race in Monaco in just over a week!
Old 16 May 2012, 21:49 (Ref:3075481)   #41
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
well put chris. interesting how terry seems to have seen every image and video there is to see and know about exactly what was done to stop the fire spreading.

i don't envy them trying to put together a full it and electrical garage setup in a week either, particularly since they'll still be working out what they have and haven't lost. setup at monaco is a day earlier than everywhere else so they have even less time. thankfully this year the two races aren't back to back.

in some ways for the guys who experienced it first hand monaco is just about the worst one to go to immediately afterwards - the garages are small, hot and claustraphobic and there's only really one escape route - out the front doors. the back is full of stacks of warm tyres and random bits of bodywork. hopefully everyone is ok with that contrast.
Old 16 May 2012, 22:05 (Ref:3075490)   #42
chrisjt1985
Racer

England
Bury
Quote:
well put chris. interesting how terry seems to have seen every image and video there is to see and know about exactly what was done to stop the fire spreading.

i don't envy them trying to put together a full it and electrical garage setup in a week either, particularly since they'll still be working out what they have and haven't lost. setup at monaco is a day earlier than everywhere else so they have even less time. thankfully this year the two races aren't back to back.

in some ways for the guys who experienced it first hand monaco is just about the worst one to go to immediately afterwards - the garages are small, hot and claustraphobic and there's only really one escape route - out the front doors. the back is full of stacks of warm tyres and random bits of bodywork. hopefully everyone is ok with that contrast.
I just say it as I see it, and I see it very simple. The only facts we have are there was a fire from the fuel area. The cause has not yet been determined. They put the fire out and no-one died. Unfortunately people were injured but it could have been so much worse. And who are we to bash Williams if they did get it wrong. That is down to the governing body and the local authorities in Spain.

I hadn't thought about how different the Monaco garages are! I'm sure some very clever people are already thinking about what escape routes they can make, but as you say, the front really is the only true possibility! Touch wood that we don't get a repeat for a very long time (if ever), but I get the feeling it is something new for the people building the track in Austin to think about, and I bet they come up with the best possible sprinkler system as a precaution.
Old 16 May 2012, 22:13 (Ref:3075497)   #43
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sprinkler systems if they use water are probably not the best idea in a pit garage as the most common fires in them involve fuel, oil, electrics and plastics.

A plentiful supply of powder followed by foam is probably what you would need.
Old 17 May 2012, 09:34 (Ref:3075612)   #44
chrisjt1985
Racer

England
Bury
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Sprinkler systems if they use water are probably not the best idea in a pit garage as the most common fires in them involve fuel, oil, electrics and plastics.

A plentiful supply of powder followed by foam is probably what you would need.
Very true. When I worked in a fast food restaurant (all of 10 years ago now!) we had a sprinkler system called Ansul. This was a liquid/foam sprinkler that smoothers the flame to put it out very quickly. It would work on both the Broiler (quite literally a gas fire which the burgers pulled through), and the fryers. I don't know if something like that could be adapted for a Motorsport garage but I don't see why not!
Old 17 May 2012, 09:41 (Ref:3075620)   #45
browney
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
browney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not water mist? This is used in engine rooms of ships/submarines, which I would have thought would provide some of the same challenges?
Old 17 May 2012, 09:50 (Ref:3075626)   #46
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'll answer this more fully in a moment, but...

Why not FM200? It's a personnel safe fire quenching system used in IT datacentres the world over. It actually combines with the flame and cools the fire. The key with that sort of system though is that the space is enclosed, not with humungous great doors front (and sometimes back).

So, the more full answer: why not *any system*? Because of cost. It might come to pass now, with the benefit of hindsight - and let's all hope there are no knee-jerk reactions - that pit garages must have some form of fire suppression system, but that will raise circuit costs massively and will mean that those costs are passed on to clubs in circuit hire charges. All these systems need regular checks and maintenance, and it doesn't come cheap. Plus, if the systems are installed and they subsequently fail to suppress, retard or extinguish a serious fire because it's either too intense/is a material the system can't extinguish/the system fails, what then?

F1 can probably afford such costs, sure, but local and national racing clubs probably can't - or their drivers can't, at least.

We need to see what happened, how it happened, and why it happened before anybody "up high" starts proposing that circuits must install in-situ fire suppression. And if those proposals come to pass then some serious research needs doing first. A pit garage is most definitely not an analogous environment to a restaurant kitchen.
Old 17 May 2012, 11:36 (Ref:3075662)   #47
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well done to everyone involved for getting that scary fire put out as soon as possible.

I believe Williams will be allowed a new chassis and engine under force majeure.
Old 17 May 2012, 12:29 (Ref:3075687)   #48
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by browney View Post
Why not water mist? This is used in engine rooms of ships/submarines, which I would have thought would provide some of the same challenges?
Water mist and high voltage electrical equipment dont mix well...........what about KERS?
Old 17 May 2012, 13:13 (Ref:3075699)   #49
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Rather harsh don't you think?. bella is around a lot of racing, I am sure she knows more than most of us about safety issues..
Old 17 May 2012, 15:35 (Ref:3075757)   #50
TerryD
Racer

United Kingdom
Suffolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Rather harsh don't you think?. bella is around a lot of racing, I am sure she knows more than most of us about safety issues..
I stand by my first comment! Just because Bella has been around a lot of racing doesn't me she knows anything about fighting fires.
The Williams crew did a brilliant job of getting the fire under control!