Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 May 2012, 19:55 (Ref:3075866)   #51
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suspect the cause of the fire being caused by a spark igniting fuel vapours while fuel was being returned to fuel drums from the in-garage refuelling rig.

Using the in-garage rig to remove fuel from a car would not cause any problems as it is a sealed system using dry break connectors.

The system to drain the rig to the drums is not a sealed system as is it just a pipe from the rig being put into the drum. This would explain why one unfortunate Williams team member has 40% burns to his body.

I do not believe Senna's car was involved in anyway (KERS etc) in the cause of the blaze, as the fire develops behind the backscreens of the garage, not where the car is.
Old 18 May 2012, 18:30 (Ref:3076212)   #52
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Sprinkler systems if they use water are probably not the best idea in a pit garage as the most common fires in them involve fuel, oil, electrics and plastics.

A plentiful supply of powder followed by foam is probably what you would need.
Using powder would kill all electronic items nearby , better to use foam!
Old 18 May 2012, 19:21 (Ref:3076229)   #53
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobster View Post
A fire of the size and intensity in the Williams pit would be better attacked with powder initially. Electronic kit can be replaced, humans cannot.
Old 18 May 2012, 22:28 (Ref:3076257)   #54
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
A fire of the size and intensity in the Williams pit would be better attacked with powder initially. Electronic kit can be replaced, humans cannot.
Maybe TerryD can tell us the best way?
Old 18 May 2012, 22:40 (Ref:3076260)   #55
Urgentemente
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool,UK
Urgentemente should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
I do not believe Senna's car was involved in anyway (KERS etc) in the cause of the blaze, as the fire develops behind the backscreens of the garage, not where the car is.
After the initial reports (however speculative/gossipy) of "KERS started a fuel fire", when I saw the pics of the garage afterwards I was amazed at relative lack of damage both to the car and the rear of the garage. Given that the Williams hoardings are pristine white&blue, it looked not too shabby.
The car in particular, tho the front looks a bit charred, the rear wing looks almost normal colour-wise.
I'm no fire expert, but I'd expect, if the fire had started in/with Senna's fuel tank,that the car would have been toast all over.
Old 19 May 2012, 08:23 (Ref:3076319)   #56
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I can help you there. Powder knocks the flames down, foam cools and seals. Powder first, foam second.

With regards to whether items get damaged - nobody should care. Get people out first, then extinguishing (or containing) the fire is all that matters. Inside a building if you can't extinguish it then the next best thing is to stop it spreading. If there's millions of pounds worth of kit then you can try to save it but only after the fire's either out or under complete control... which basically means extinguished.
Old 21 May 2012, 13:29 (Ref:3077276)   #57
TerryD
Racer

United Kingdom
Suffolk
TerryD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Happy to,

Large Foam Applicator would be the best,or if that wasn't available water mist from a high pressue branch. Also crouch down while your fighting the fire(smoke rises). Make sure you have your extinguishing medium is available before tackling the fire! Breathing apparatus would also help if available.
Old 24 May 2012, 10:55 (Ref:3078759)   #58
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams are changing their pit procedures, http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18178948, no specific details though.
Old 24 May 2012, 15:56 (Ref:3078849)   #59
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
http://gizmodo.com/5910380/air-force...ngar-with-foam
Old 24 May 2012, 16:24 (Ref:3078856)   #60
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Williams needs the US air force as consultants.
Old 28 May 2012, 15:14 (Ref:3080627)   #61
TerryD
Racer

United Kingdom
Suffolk
TerryD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Williams needs the US air force as consultants.
I'd be happy to be their consultant! I'd also be happy to accompany them wherever they go as a 'fire marshal' ( I am retired now so have a lot of spare time).