Old 29 May 2012, 11:25 (Ref:3081102)   #101
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
That's just not true if you think back to last seasons Monaco GP, where both Button and Alonso were able to hunt down Vettel and make several attempts to pass one another. Ironically, the fitting of new tyres after the safety car/restart, totally killed the battle for the lead.

The tyres used in this seasons Monaco GP were also pretty much the same tyres that were used in last seasons Monaco GP, with the supersoft tyre being identical to last seasons supersoft tyre.
Were they? Haven't Pirelli been asked to make even higher degrading tyres this year? Also unlike last year, where Alonso was attacking Vettel with Button chasing them down hard, I never saw any of the top 5 really go for it, especially Rosberg. Reletive to last year, all the top 5 were tip toeing around at the end, it's just they were all close together.
Old 29 May 2012, 12:05 (Ref:3081125)   #102
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
Were they? Haven't Pirelli been asked to make even higher degrading tyres this year?
No. They were asked to close up the compounds a bit. So, we no longer have last seasons 'hard' tyre. Last seasons 'medium' tyre has become this seasons 'hard' tyre, with all of the other compounds below it being closer together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
Also unlike last year, where Alonso was attacking Vettel with Button chasing them down hard, I never saw any of the top 5 really go for it, especially Rosberg. Reletive to last year, all the top 5 were tip toeing around at the end, it's just they were all close together.
More of a car thing than a tyre thing, I suspect. You have to see what it is that this seasons cars don't have that they did have last season.
Old 29 May 2012, 12:26 (Ref:3081141)   #103
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No. They were asked to close up the compounds a bit. So, we no longer have last seasons 'hard' tyre. Last seasons 'medium' tyre has become this seasons 'hard' tyre, with all of the other compounds below it being closer together.
Ah, I see.

Quote:
More of a car thing than a tyre thing, I suspect. You have to see what it is that this seasons cars don't have that they did have last season.
Yep.
Old 29 May 2012, 16:29 (Ref:3081248)   #104
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Kimi train!

I feel another shunt coming on... he's been told to stay out and wait for the rain!!
Any driver in that queu could have gained some places by pitting earlier. About 5 drivers where so much faster compared to Kimi, and when anyone of them had taken new tyres, they could have jumped the rest of the train after the stops. That could have put even Kovalainen in the points! Offcourse they would either have to go so fast that they would be able to make en extra stop, or be very, very carefull with the tyres to be able to do a very long stint, but it would have been worth a gamble.
But the, I was watching a telly, instead of standing at the pit-wall. Must have some reason...
Old 29 May 2012, 16:40 (Ref:3081259)   #105
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
True.

The build up behind Raikkonen was more to do with waiting for the rain, rather than anything to do with a strategy that would have been applied during a race that was, most likely, going to stay dry. In fact, not waiting for it to rain may have given us a completely different GP to that which we saw.
Old 30 May 2012, 08:23 (Ref:3081704)   #106
frostie
Ten-Tenths Photo Of The Year Winner 2013
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk
frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimo View Post
Are you describing the thrill of sex or the thrill of motor racing?

Or are they the same?

Quality! Never noticed the filth I was typing!
Old 30 May 2012, 14:03 (Ref:3081880)   #107
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostie View Post
Yeah it was crazy in the tunnel! I was expecting the noise to be ridiculous and the usual sense of speed as the air "whooshes" past you but the noise as the sound bounces off the walls was even more impressive than I was expecting. The thing that shocked me though was that the ground shaked when the cars were going past!

You'd hear the cars entering the tunnel and then as they got nearer the walls would start to vibrate slightly and then you'd get a tingle down your spine until suddenly the ground would start shaking. It was like a mini earth-quake and all you could do was stand there and look like an idiot with a big grin on your face!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimo View Post
Are you describing the thrill of sex or the thrill of motor racing?

Or are they the same?
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostie View Post

Quality! Never noticed the filth I was typing!

Great !

I would say sex is more thrilling and more lasting, but then is just my personal perspective and that would derive in a whole new subject, so let's focus on motor racing !

Like some fellows says:

I can't deny it
With that smile on her face
It's not the kill
It's the thrill of the chase

Old 30 May 2012, 14:13 (Ref:3081888)   #108
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You can go for an entire weekend Bon? You still got it.
Old 30 May 2012, 14:14 (Ref:3081889)   #109
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post

I can't deny it
With that smile on her face
It's not the kill
It's the thrill of the chase

Sounds familiar. Deep Purple - Knocking at your back door.
Old 30 May 2012, 14:30 (Ref:3081895)   #110
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
I would say sex is more thrilling and more lasting
And there's why the three-race sprint format of the BTCC is so popular
Old 30 May 2012, 14:47 (Ref:3081906)   #111
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
You can go for an entire weekend Bon? You still got it.
Old 31 May 2012, 09:09 (Ref:3082328)   #112
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
And there's why the three-race sprint format of the BTCC is so popular
But some of them aren't able to cope with the recovery time