Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: How do you rate this year's Monaco Grand Prix?
10 2 2.04%
9 4 4.08%
8 8 8.16%
7 15 15.31%
6 19 19.39%
5 12 12.24%
4 17 17.35%
3 12 12.24%
2 3 3.06%
1 6 6.12%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29 May 2012, 14:35 (Ref:3081204)   #101
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Even though you are wrong for disaggreeing with me, for I am consistently right, you do make a good point.
Knowlesy yer gonna have to change your name to Knowallsley mate sorry!
Old 29 May 2012, 16:57 (Ref:3081272)   #102
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Mosley was wrong. It's a fact.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I had to repeat it four times to be sure or I wouldn't want to say I told you so.

No need to reply to this one !
Old 29 May 2012, 19:04 (Ref:3081361)   #103
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Have to say I really enjoyed those slow-mo views of the cars bouncing the kerbs at Tabac. I hoped we'd see more.
Old 29 May 2012, 19:08 (Ref:3081364)   #104
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Knowlesy yer gonna have to change your name to Knowallsley mate sorry!
Knownothing, I fear, would be more appropriate.
Old 29 May 2012, 20:24 (Ref:3081439)   #105
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Easily the best race of the season.
Provocative.

I gave it a 7. I always enjoy watching cars round Monaco and generally enjoyed the race. It is one of the ultimate motorsport challenges and has never been about vast amounts of overtaking. At least it has a challenging track to provider that context, rather than a dull circuit with little overtaking.
Old 29 May 2012, 20:26 (Ref:3081441)   #106
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Provocative.

I gave it a 7. I always enjoy watching cars round Monaco and generally enjoyed the race. It is one of the ultimate motorsport challenges and has never been about vast amounts of overtaking. At least it has a challenging track to provider that context, rather than a dull circuit with little overtaking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Outstanding, wonderful, fantastic driving, so what, what did it amount to Jack S**t and why because you cannot overtake??? Jenson tried to and paid the price the place needs dropping off the calender.
Jenson didn't do a very good job of his overtaking attempts regardless.
Old 29 May 2012, 23:41 (Ref:3081544)   #107
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post

No need to reply to this one !
That sarcasm is really hard to spot, sometimes.

The full irony being that F1 is now doing pretty much what Mosley suggested it should do, but it's cunningly disguised as 'resource restriction' and is likely to be under the control of the FIA when all of the ink has finally dried on the concorde agreement.

Quote:
Provocative.
Quote:
It's always great to watch the cars going around the track and leaping over kerbs, etc. But there is supposed to be this bigger picture of why it is that they are doing that.

Quote:
Jenson didn't do a very good job of his overtaking attempts regardless.
At least he tried, but he needn't have bothered. But at least he can have a new gearbox when he arrives in Canada. Behind every cloud......

Last edited by Marbot; 30 May 2012 at 00:10.
Old 30 May 2012, 00:04 (Ref:3081554)   #108
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I agree, it is one of motorsport's ultimate challenges but I think one of the problems is there are a number of dull tracks on the calendar, producing dull processional races and to see Monaco, which has produced some great races in the past, itself reduced to a procession just adds to the dullness.
Old 30 May 2012, 00:28 (Ref:3081564)   #109
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I agree, it is one of motorsport's ultimate challenges but I think one of the problems is there are a number of dull tracks on the calendar, producing dull processional races and to see Monaco, which has produced some great races in the past, itself reduced to a procession just adds to the dullness.
What years/eras have there been when passing has been common at the track? Is it reasonable to say that due to it being so narrow, that even in the past, the track would have had relatively less passing than other tracks?

I was hoping to see rain, because rain and Monaco is utter madness and definitely woulda made for some crazy sights. Especially if the rain was just not heavy enough to bring out an SC.

I still enjoyed the race quite a bit. It's always cool to see these beasts of cars tipetoe around the streets of the Principality; no matter what the era.

Plus, we just replaced our old (and first) HDTV witha a brand new big and fancy one. That helped the viewing experience.
Old 30 May 2012, 00:38 (Ref:3081569)   #110
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimo View Post
What years/eras have there been when passing has been common at the track? Is it reasonable to say that due to it being so narrow, that even in the past, the track would have had relatively less passing than other tracks?
I didn't say that in past years/eras passing was common, I said that Monaco has produced some great races. I'll have to watch my back catalogue of re-runs and get back to you, as to which ones they are, .
Old 30 May 2012, 01:27 (Ref:3081576)   #111
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I didn't say that in past years/eras passing was common, I said that Monaco has produced some great races. I'll have to watch my back catalogue of re-runs and get back to you, as to which ones they are, .
I dig. This race was good in terms of closeness, if not passing.
Old 30 May 2012, 02:34 (Ref:3081589)   #112
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Have to say I really enjoyed those slow-mo views of the cars bouncing the kerbs at Tabac. I hoped we'd see more.
Really enjoyed those slow motions too.

Enjoyed Schumacher putting the Merc on pole too.

Hate the grid penalty, for what I thought was Senna's stuff up, but hate grid penalties in any event, I think this was just to somehow justify the penalty dished out to Hamilton for stopping after qualifying, which again just stuffed up a good race. Just gifted the race to an undeserving Webber who would have won it anyway it turns out. lol.

Six different winnners sure, but at what cost to the integrity of the sport!

Another vintage demonstration by Katekeyan too! F1 driver my ...
Old 30 May 2012, 02:44 (Ref:3081590)   #113
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
chillibowl is right (was a real struggle to get my phone to stop altering your name to chilli owl there mate, can you change your login to that please?).

The trouble is, in an age where people want everything NOW, everything to be immediate and spoon fed to them, it is inevitable. "Oh the sport has a duty to entertain us" they say and "the sport would be nothing without the fans!" Utterly incorrect on both counts I am afraid.

It is the same in football. People demand excitement. Sometimes a pass across the defence to retain possession of the ball is booed because sections of the crowd want the ball pumped up the pitch straightaway to try and score a goal even if that may not be possible. Defensive football is derided. The rugby team that boots into touch constantly is frowned upon. The tennis player that relies purely on raw power is despised for lacking the elegance and grace of Roger Federer.

Fact is, sporting categories were started to show who was the best at various things and existed long before the fans came along. They were never conceived as entertainment, but as competition, otherwise I highly doubt we'd have the likes of fishing championships. It is all about the struggle for superiority. But popularity brings idiots and now we have WWF1. Feed me entertainment! Drop Monaco from the calendar! Make them fish in small tanks full of sharks! Satisfy my miniscule intellect!

We are literally less than five years away from team owners ripping their shirts off and throwing each other through tables in a ring in front of packed arenas.

Truly, we live in a desperate world.
Kinda like a movie. That's why the Transformers films are huge money makers while Blade Runner bombed in the box office.
Old 30 May 2012, 13:45 (Ref:3081871)   #114
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's all going to be like reality shows... controlled enviroment.
Old 30 May 2012, 14:28 (Ref:3081894)   #115
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
We are literally less than five years away from team owners ripping their shirts off and throwing each other through tables in a ring in front of packed arenas.
Norbert will win.
Old 30 May 2012, 14:32 (Ref:3081898)   #116
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You've got to watch out for that Boullier though. He nips and scrabs and everything.
Old 30 May 2012, 14:58 (Ref:3081912)   #117
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
if he makes another go around in F1 i would put my money Colin Kolles! in true professional wrastling fashion he could be "The Mad Dentist".
Old 30 May 2012, 15:11 (Ref:3081917)   #118
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Norbert will win.
Norbert v Briatore would be good to watch.
Old 30 May 2012, 15:15 (Ref:3081921)   #119
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
It looks like the sky is falling again.
Old 30 May 2012, 17:45 (Ref:3082002)   #120
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Briatore is a flake. Haug'd have him battered in no time.
Old 31 May 2012, 09:08 (Ref:3082327)   #121
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Norbert with his finishing maneuver the Bear Hug, of course!

This man likes a hug. And so does Briatore

Selby
Old 31 May 2012, 13:03 (Ref:3082574)   #122
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
8. Webber deserved that win. Red Bull was superb in Montecarlo.
Old 1 Jun 2012, 18:28 (Ref:3083419)   #123
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
While my head placed my vote in the middle of the pack, my heart thinks 10 for all the wrong reasons: bikini's on the beach, Princess Charlene, history, glamour, glitz, lots of Armco, and the reality that these blokes can drive the pants off a car, especially when things got damp!!

Passing is nice but to be honest after all of the overtaking we've been experiencing, not having any is about as tragic as the pub being out of your regular choice.

Long live Monaco!!
Old 2 Jun 2012, 18:49 (Ref:3083901)   #124
rocketcar
Rookie

United Kingdom
Colchester
rocketcar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
tyres have not got unpredictable, stratagy - from fuel - has just turned to tyres and as it turns out with the weather "on its way" just lead to people trying to span the life of their tyres out. I think if it was a fully dry race with no chance of rain and people went for the more traditional stops I think we would have seen more of a race like last year. Although towards the end it did get exciting, its just Monaco does not allow for overtaking. Watch any of the support races they were a procession as well, was all about the closing of gaps rather than actual wheel to wheel driving
Old 4 Jun 2012, 00:06 (Ref:3084835)   #125
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Indeed. Even with the supposed 'randomness' that we have now, some races still need to be won during qualifying.