Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 18 Feb 2008, 12:00 (Ref:2131719)   #1
crofty
Rookie

crofty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First test day-advice? Mallory 28th Feb.

Hi All, I've done a couple of track days, and I've got my first test day with the 750mc (jumping in at the deep end!) on the 28th, does anyone have any advice about what is needed,ettiquette, etc. I'm especially wondering about overtaking courtesy, who leaves the line, etc.
Cheers, Dan
Old 18 Feb 2008, 12:04 (Ref:2131721)   #2
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What are you testing? Is this the sessions at Mallory? I think for my first race we were told it's up to the faster car to find a way around you but I don't always believes that's true / right - if you can get safely out of the way then I would.
Old 18 Feb 2008, 13:19 (Ref:2131779)   #3
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First test days, take it easy, relearn your car. Give room to faster cars, dont go off and dont crash.

remember to BREATH and have FUN
Old 19 Feb 2008, 09:24 (Ref:2132361)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I think the one at Mallory is more of a track day so they should do a driver's briefing before they let anyone out. If in doubt ask one of the organisers and they will tell you what you can and can't do.
Old 19 Feb 2008, 10:09 (Ref:2132389)   #5
crofty
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
What are you testing? Is this the sessions at Mallory? I think for my first race we were told it's up to the faster car to find a way around you but I don't always believes that's true / right - if you can get safely out of the way then I would.
Yep, I'll be at Mallory with RGB. I'll be at Ma & Pa's this weekend fixing the car up. Won't go into first!
Old 19 Feb 2008, 13:15 (Ref:2132490)   #6
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
If its a normal test day you will go out in groups, so line up nearer the back of your first session . Get a feel for the car and drive round at a reasonable speed use you mirrors and don't cut people up. You won't be alone in being out for the first time and you will probably find you aren't the slowest. If you have an on board lap timer you will find this a great help. Old hands at the game will realise and should give you a wide berth. You are not there to prove you're the next Lewis Hamilton so try to relax and enjoy the day . Remember one thing it takes a lot of money to go racing, and a dam sight more if you crash !!

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 19 Feb 2008 at 13:17.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 19 Feb 2008, 15:39 (Ref:2132626)   #7
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't think "Fast!". Don't try and go fast.

Think "Tidy and Neat!". Go more slowly than you would actually imagine and focus on tight, clean gearshifts, good braking; learning the lines (Often the apex is not at all where it seems on a circuit map!); and very controlled reverse torque from braking to power.

Think SMOOTH!

I always found my fastest laps were when I was totally relaxed, not hurrying and simply enjoying a quiet ride.

What you are really trying to achieve is to be there again!

Rather than be a one or two lap wonder.

I've helped pick many of those out of the Armco; normally in bits.

No one else will be thinking "Heh! Look at that pratt out there going so slowly!"

They will (should) be focused on their own objectives. Not yours.

Best of luck and most of all, enjoy yourself!
Old 19 Feb 2008, 18:49 (Ref:2132781)   #8
BrendanM
Racer

United Kingdom
Colchester
BrendanM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi

I would echo what has been said here, plus a good time to introduce yourself to other racers and undertsand your timings

Rember on race days you will have to signon, scrutineer, proabaly go to new driver briefings and get set for qualifying session. Get a routine about checking car, removing pin from extinguisher, getting gloves etc.

See you at Mallory on March 9th (large newly painted vehicle parked just by scrutineering)

Brendan
Old 20 Feb 2008, 09:48 (Ref:2133180)   #9
Copperbottom
Veteran

Copperbottom has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
This is an interesting thread....Some good advice being given
Old 21 Feb 2008, 15:13 (Ref:2134249)   #10
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will there be many of you out as I'm off next Thursday and may pop over to spectate? I'm interested to see what the place looks like with all the work going on.
Old 21 Feb 2008, 15:37 (Ref:2134279)   #11
toyotamr2
Rookie

toyotamr2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spoke to Robin Knight today to book myself in and the saloon sessions are just about full, still room for some single seaters though.
Old 21 Feb 2008, 20:50 (Ref:2134502)   #12
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I did a tyre test for Yokohama a couple of years back at I think the same early test session. It was freezing cold (slept in the van outside the bar brrrr)
and had a hell of a job getting any temperature into the tyres. It was certainly a well organized test day and good value for money. I hope it doesnt rain as not many really want that, enjoy yourselves.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 22 Feb 2008, 18:33 (Ref:2135196)   #13
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All good advice, but this is a "test day"!
Have a modest programme of things to try out.
You - if you already know the track, work out some new lines to try.
The car - tyre pressures; if you can, camber and steering, or even ignition timing or carb needles. The rolling road is not the only way of finding the best tune!
John
Old 23 Feb 2008, 06:09 (Ref:2135552)   #14
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We always tell new drivers to watch the mirrors, hold the line, and if at all possible, signal to traffic coming up behind you, which side you'd like them to overtake - if there is any doubt.

Mallory in February? Carry a set of snow tyres.... Sorry, couldn't resist that...
Old 29 Feb 2008, 15:07 (Ref:2140926)   #15
crofty
Rookie

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I had a great day, I used it to get me up to speed rather than the car as it's my first season and I know the car's reasonable. (Won the championship last year).
It was good to go with some proper racers and get timed as you cant do that on a track day.
I ended up with best laps in the 3 sessions of 1min6, 1min and then 58.8 by the end. Still a fair way to go, as I know last year the car did mallory at about 50secs with Derek at the helm!

AAAAND (and I'm quite proud of this) I managed to learn a lot without crashing . Though I did get the back to skip out at gerrards in a nice controlled way.

So thanks again, hopefully I'll see a couple of you this season.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 20:48 (Ref:2141124)   #16
toyotamr2
Rookie

toyotamr2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pleased you enjoyed it, i had fun getting my Formula ford time down to a 51.09 a second and a half faster than my first test in it last october.

Richard
Old 29 Feb 2008, 21:39 (Ref:2141164)   #17
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sounds like a well spent day, crofty!

Good luck,
John