Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Closed Thread

Old 10 Oct 2002, 00:19 (Ref:399840)   #151
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've watched a lot of onboards of that corner, and it just closes up too quickly... They had to put in that damn grasscrete to keep drivers from spinning off.

Tilke's never driven a race car, he's got no damn idea what the drivers do to get around his tracks.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 17:05 (Ref:400485)   #152
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Little correction Lee, and not to defend Tilke, but he occasionally races in touring car as an amateur.

But he continues to have no idea of what he designs...
Old 10 Oct 2002, 17:57 (Ref:400519)   #153
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK, here's a gigantic track.

It has no name. It's very long though

The homestraight is 1 km long, and leads to a slow corner similar to the famous Tarzan in Zandvoort.
After that, a little kink leads us to the second passing opportunity, a hairpin.

Then, an all important constant radius corner, turn 3, essential to take the 3 km long straight (with speeds of 370 kph at the end of it).

flat out
flat out
flat out

Then comes the braking, another passing opportunity with a slow-to-quick S bend that ultimately leads to a 180º turn (turn 7)

Then a fast left hander and flat out, flat out, flat out till turn 9, a medium speed sweeper which leads to the section known as "Rio" as two kinks make a copy of the oval back there.

This straight leads to turn 10, a slow, 120 kph bi-corner, done in two times.

Then comes an uphill section which turns downhill right at the moment of turning right for the first of the S, then left at 300 kph, leading to another long sweeper and the all important last turn, a slow 100º corner.

It's huge, and it would break engines. What do ya think?
Attached Thumbnails
supafas.jpg  
Old 10 Oct 2002, 18:33 (Ref:400560)   #154
Johnny thunders
Rookie

Johnny thunders should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ooooo man that is sweet! sure would like to drive round that one!

what does everythink the idea motor race for that would be? i think high cc motobikes would charge round that!
Old 10 Oct 2002, 22:05 (Ref:400713)   #155
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That is massive. Long, fast and fun. Did I mention long?

There is only one change I would make. At the end of the infield section, after the two left kink-type turns, that slow double-apex right. I would make that a single apex turn, to increase the chance of passing.

But, that's it. Dare I say, I think that is my favourite one of yours so far, Jordi.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 22:51 (Ref:400743)   #156
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Wow! I wouldn't mind running on that monster!

Endurance races and some GPs could be run on the full course, but you'd need a cutoff on the second hairpin to cut off the super-fast section to host slower national series and club races. Would be spectacular anyways.
Old 11 Oct 2002, 16:27 (Ref:401218)   #157
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
OK, I made the improvements. Turn 9 is now an Adelaide-in-Magny-Cours like hairpin, and I included a short cut. In national races, Turn 2 is much more a passing spot as the straight before is longer, and it rejoins the track in between the two kinks.

Cool, ain't it?
Attached Thumbnails
supafas2.jpg  
Old 11 Oct 2002, 16:32 (Ref:401223)   #158
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
I'm glad ya liked it, it's all about speed, and I love Speed!
Old 11 Oct 2002, 16:32 (Ref:401224)   #159
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Very.
Old 11 Oct 2002, 16:33 (Ref:401225)   #160
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Lee! even though I don't drink...
Old 11 Oct 2002, 22:42 (Ref:401491)   #161
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mangy-Cours with Barcelona overtones it looks to me.
Old 11 Oct 2002, 23:31 (Ref:401546)   #162
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Hmm, not only. I'll say I was inspired by Spa, Magny, Le Mans, Rio, Zandvoort...
Old 13 Oct 2002, 02:28 (Ref:402350)   #163
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Okay, here's one I just threw together on impulse. No idea where this should be, but it'd be good in a mostly flat, largely treeless area. The oval is .5 miles, and features 10 degree banking. The road course connections basically run right over the top of the banking. This isn't a high-class international course, but really just a very nice national track which hopefully hosts a lot of local motorsport, and some testing.

Inspiration comes from Mexico City and Road Atlanta.
Attached Thumbnails
club.gif  
Old 13 Oct 2002, 08:53 (Ref:402536)   #164
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
it looks like a nice, technical, tough to pass track. Nice, Lee.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 14:07 (Ref:402842)   #165
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Hmm... I think it still has at least 3 passing spots: The hairpin, the next major corner after that, and the lauch onto the long back straight. And possibly while braking for the banked turn, which despite the banking is going to require drivers to burn off a lot of speed.

Upon reflection, I think it actually has more to do with Zandvoort than Road Atlanta.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 15:30 (Ref:402912)   #166
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
yeah, looks more like Zandvoort
Old 13 Oct 2002, 16:34 (Ref:402950)   #167
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
heres my new track guys, not much but it's a good "Golden Oldie", i like some sections which are flat our blasts through forests and some bits are new stadium-like areas.

Track Guide:

Start/Finish Straight:

this is quite fast and pretty long, to get an idea it's around 2km, the 1st half is flat, the 2nd is slightly downhill. then turn 1 appears. Top speeds can be around 195mph

T1:

This is a "blend" corner, i.e blend in the brake before and feed in the throttle faster and slower depending on how much you are to the limit. it's slightly downhill but not enough to effect grip levels too much.

T2:

Theres a very short straight/braking zone before Turn 2 and it's quite tight. this is flat and aimed at giving an exciting half over-taking oppurtunity to drivers coming down the straight fast and gaining speed during T1 on their counterparts.

T3:

This is a pointless corner, but had to put it there because otherwise i would miss out the T1/T2 combo which i love. not much to say here, it's tight. you could possibly overtake here because of traction coming out from T2.

T4:

this is an accelerating corner linking the stadium section to the wooded section.

T5/T6:

the apexes are quite apart, but i thought i'd put them together because once you've blasted through T5, T6 comes up awfully fast. T5 is slightly banked so it's pretty fast and the straight leading to T6 could provide some close racing hopefully. T6 is slightly tighter. overtaking here is strictly for the professionals or damn fools.

T7:

accelerating corner joining purpose track to public road section.

Back Straight 1:

now this is fast, its downhill until about 3/4's of the way there, out of the accelerating T7 and onto the bumpy public roads. speeds can reach up to 205mph here.

T8:

This is a hairpin but it's not as tight as some hairpins, flat braking zone and high grip mean it's a smashing over-taking spot.

T9/Back Straight 3:

T9 is an nothing corner, but cars again go very fast here around 205mph again.

Chicane:

i LOVE this chicane because it's approach is very fast and it's a medium speed chicane. it's not so tight like at Monza where cars have to tip-toe around it and through the braking zone, at the end of the straight the road goes uphill very very slightly which adds stability to the braking. the track is also wide here, so if the damn fools from T5+6 have survived, 3 abrest can certainly fit in.

T10:

an accelerating corner where mech grip and traction come at a premium, here the track is flat-ish and quite bumpy, the people with good traction out of the chicane and have good mech grip through here can acheive high speeds on Back Straight 3.

Back Straight 3/T11:

here, the track starts climbing a bit more, so speeds are a smidgen slower than the other back straights, but the straight levels out on the approach to T11 which is where the one road meets another, this is the bravery test - you theoretically go flat here, but you've gotta have big balls to do so because it's tighter than you think. the track is wide here, but not smooth. once through T11 you're on the short straight and last bit of public road on this circuit.

T12:

This is a downshifting corner, which leads onto the approach to unlucky T13 which is a half overtaking place, but guts and skill is needed. the public road ends on the approach to this corner.

T13:

tighter than T12 and as smooth as a baby's buttocks, so no tip-toeing here matey.

T14:

last corner of the track and hard to get right for the long Start/Finish straight, REALLY hard seeing as it's medium speed.

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 13 Oct 2002, 16:43 (Ref:402957)   #168
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
sorry, i forgot to add the damn thing!

this track is called "Gnome-Peace"
Attached Images

Old 13 Oct 2002, 16:46 (Ref:402960)   #169
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
hopefully this will be a bit larger...
Attached Images

Old 13 Oct 2002, 23:21 (Ref:403263)   #170
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lee, get rid of that short oval (I don't like em that short), and turn the last turn into a proper hairpin for overtaking, and I reckon that is your best track. Fast corners, overtaking spots, and a good mix of elements.

NJ - that track looks pretty tricky. Some tight bits, combined with fast bits. I like turn 1, the run from turn 7 to the chicane, and turns 11 & 12.

Last edited by mac; 13 Oct 2002 at 23:25.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 23:24 (Ref:403269)   #171
mac
Veteran

After last week's track rendering, this week I've got an all new one - Stonemont.
Attached Images

Old 13 Oct 2002, 23:53 (Ref:403289)   #172
mac
Veteran

Stonemont runs clockwise. It doesn't have any Eau Rouges or 130Rs, it is just a nice, enjoyable track to drive (I think).

The front straight is flat.

Turn 1 is a 90 degree right-hander. It is flat, and a very good place to pass.

In the short shute between turns 1 & 2, there is a left kink.

Turns 2 & 3 is a pretty tight left-right esses section. The left is slightly tighter than the right, which opens up a little. The left is flat, while the right is uphill. On the exit of turn 3, there is a slight, uphill, right kink.

Turn 4 is one of the most difficult on the track. It is reasonably quick and opens up towards the exit. The track remains uphill through this right-hander.

Out of turn 4 the track flattens out for the next straight.

At the end of this straight is turn 5. A flat, 90 degree right-hander, and another passing opportunity.

Immediately out of 5 is the pretty quick, slightly uphill, turn 6 left-hander.

Very quickly after that is another similar turn (turn 7). Between 6&7, there is a crest, where the track begins going slightly downhill. This continues through 7.

After 7 is a short, slightly downhill straight. Turns 8 & 9 is the next right-left esses section. It is reasonably quick. From the apex of turn 8, the track begins to go more sharply downhill and continues through the flat-out turn 9. At the exit of turn 9, the track becomes flat.

Shortly after 9 is turn 10. The approach to this turn veers to the left, which is immediately followed by quite a long and slow right. This turn is entirely flat.

Between 10 & 11 is enough room to build up some speed for the fast turn 11 right. This section is also completely flat.

Turn 11 leads onto the longest straight on the track. In the middle of this is the turn 12, left kink. Out of this, the track goes uphill for a short period, before flattening out before the braking zone for turn 13.

Turn 13 is a flat right-left chicane. The right is quite tight, the left is merely a kink at the exit. This is a very good passing spot.

Between 13 & 14 is a short shute to build up some speed for a fast and tricky turn. Turn 14 is a fast, downhill right-hander. The tricky part is that the apex is later than you think, and the track goes to the left on the exit.

Turn 15 is a flat 90 degree right-hander.

Turn 16, the final turn, is a flat, flat-out, double-apex left-hander back onto the main straight.

What are your thoughts?
Attached Images

Old 14 Oct 2002, 02:40 (Ref:403378)   #173
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Juan, that looks like a total blast... Literally! I'd love to drive it!

Mac, I suppose I could tighten up the last corner a bit, but the oval needs to stay... To be successful, a new track here's got to have an oval of some sort, and a quarter-mile drag strip. The profits from those'll pay for the road course operations.

I still think my Bremerton track is better, though

I think this is your best track yet... I can't really find anything wrong with it.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 14 Oct 2002 at 02:45.
Old 14 Oct 2002, 21:06 (Ref:404228)   #174
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
It really looks enjoyable, mac. Some parts of it remind me of Indy, but that's just me, LOL
Old 14 Oct 2002, 22:49 (Ref:404327)   #175
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Further proof I _really_ need a girlfriend!

In the spirit of the great old public road courses, here's one based just north of Boonton, New Jersey, not far from New York City.

I figure around 10 minutes for a full lap in a current Champ car.
Attached Thumbnails
jersey.jpg