Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 May 2004, 21:15 (Ref:981853)   #26
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
and thats BS .. liz . and i appologize for saying that to a lady more then twice my age

Ciao Marco
Old 24 May 2004, 21:18 (Ref:981855)   #27
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dani Filth
and thats BS .. liz . and i appologize for saying that to a lady more then twice my age
i for one thought the highlight of the race was schumachers laps before his first pitstop. mesmerising.
Old 24 May 2004, 21:29 (Ref:981869)   #28
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
i for one thought the highlight of the race was schumachers laps before his first pitstop. mesmerising.
I agree too the way he was throwing the car around and in to the tunnel was more entertaining than anyone else.
Old 25 May 2004, 06:01 (Ref:982178)   #29
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Andrew2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those Renaults were goin for it, at no stage did Alonso let up in his pursuit of Trulli. Maybe Alonso couldn't have made the move but he would have tried to pressure Trulli into makin a mistake.
Good stuff, all in all. And yes, I agree, that Schumacher did look very impressive when he was carving up those mid to high 1.14s...
Old 25 May 2004, 07:11 (Ref:982212)   #30
v8fan
Rookie

v8fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
awesome!
Old 25 May 2004, 08:55 (Ref:982308)   #31
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree completely - the race wasn't exciting because of the absence of Schumacher - it was cracking with him in it, better with him in it.

If you don't care for those fantastic qualifying-quick bursts of excitement, Liz, I think you're pretty much on your own - personally I'd rate that as one of the highlights of the race and I strongly believe that the race would have been even better (much better) if Scumacher (and Alonso) had been there at the end fighting it out. I am 100% at a loss to see how you can think the race better without Michael - it could have been an all time classic, rather than just a great race.
Old 25 May 2004, 13:48 (Ref:982538)   #32
ROOSTER
Rookie

ROOSTER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi this is the first time, I have posted on this site
Race vey exiting. Drama High. But where was the overtaking?. Now Monaco is a Street Race so if this was on the Nurburg ring would there be 10% of Drama ? and how many overtaking for position . There must be overtaking for positions rather than the events of a blown engine which caused such a confusion that een Jordan scored 2 pionts
Old 25 May 2004, 14:18 (Ref:982577)   #33
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glen, you are obviously too young to have watched Formula One in the 1980s and 1990s, but try to catch it on F1 Decade and you will see why I am not particularly impressed with the idea of watching one driver win every single race.

It is not possible to compare eras, I know, but to say that the prospect of having TGF win every single race would be "an all time classic" is an insult to real competition.
Old 25 May 2004, 14:32 (Ref:982586)   #34
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I agree with you, Liz, and, to be honest, I dont feel sorry for these guys born in the 80s who got hooked onto f1 in the mid-late 90s. Its pretty clear that they dont know a thing about the history of f1 and are used to seeing TGF circling aound dominating the circus. I just wished that they have a little more knowledge about the earlier eras of f1 and probably then they would look at the big picture. Again, its not their fault, its just that they are a new generation with a 'little learning', which is always a dangerous thing.
Old 25 May 2004, 14:35 (Ref:982589)   #35
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Liz

You are obviously too old to appreciate that not everyone is as biased as you. And perhaps so old that you are obsessed with a distorted view of the good old days. I've been following F1 since my teens (that's 25 years or more by the way) - and I remember the 80's pretty well (can't remember what I did last week mind you!). I remember many, many occassions when the outcome of a race was as predictable as it is now - I remember fondly the classic McLaren dominations, and those of Williams. No difference to me - I like to see excellence and I am not going to let my bias spoil my own enjoyment. I'd far rather see Montoya, Button or Alonso on the top step than Schumacher, but the simple fact is that they don't deserve it at the moment because they are not the best drivers.

The point in this context is that if Schumacher had somehow managed to win the race from where he was (considering his tyre disadvantage and the excellent form of Renault and BAR) that would have made the race an even greater occassion because the feat would have exceeded that of Trulli in winning (although Trulli gets rich applause from me because I thought he did a perfect job, and indeed I very much doubt MS could have got in front).

The race DID NOT suddenly get interesting because Schumacher was out - it was already shaping up to be a great one. And you know it. Go on, admit it.

Anyhow, how would you know? I thought you weren't watching any more until you didn't have to look at That frightful German Fellow? Perhaps you weren't watching - that might explain.
Old 25 May 2004, 14:40 (Ref:982601)   #36
Glen
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by freud
I agree with you, Liz, and, to be honest, I dont feel sorry for these guys born in the 80s who got hooked onto f1 in the mid-late 90s. Its pretty clear that they dont know a thing about the history of f1 and are used to seeing TGF circling aound dominating the circus. I just wished that they have a little more knowledge about the earlier eras of f1 and probably then they would look at the big picture. Again, its not their fault, its just that they are a new generation with a 'little learning', which is always a dangerous thing.
If you're referring too me, freud you might as well get your facts straight (although facts rarely come into discussions of this nature on here!) - born in the 80's... you're only a little bit out - like two decades out. I've watched F1 in the 70's, 80's, 90's and the current era - not only that but I have learned enough about it along the way to see a bigger picture than just getting ticked-off if my favourite driver or team aren't winning.
Old 25 May 2004, 14:54 (Ref:982618)   #37
freud
Veteran

Glen - You might be a bit more rational than the 'kids', I am talking about Again, you mention TGF in Monaco and you think it would've been a historical win had he managed to win. I think not. TGF's every win is distorted and his image badly damaged because he has 'NILL' competition from within his team. His teammate is his personal servant who does best to protect his back in every possible way. No matter how good he is, we just cannot judge his performance. DONT FORGET THAT TRULLI WAS ALSO COMPETING AGAINST AN ALONSO, IN EQUAL MACHINERY!!!!!!! How many times in past 10 years have TGF competed against his own teammate.

Liz is exactly right.. and I would go on to say that TGF winning all races in the season would be almost an insult to the sport. I am glad he will not.
Old 25 May 2004, 14:57 (Ref:982625)   #38
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
are you referring to me ?? ... yes . i'm only 22 .. . and i do look at the big picture .. but i'm not saying that past was sh*t . present is everything . .. i'm just saying i appreciate F1 . not only beacause of MS . i will not stop following F1 when he retires ..
speaking of past . i've watched the other day the Dijon 1979 race . that race was almoast "boring"(as they say about current F1 races) until the last laps .. and not everytime there was Gilles and Arnoux there ..

Last edited by Dani Filth; 25 May 2004 at 15:00.

Ciao Marco
Old 25 May 2004, 14:59 (Ref:982628)   #39
Glen
Veteran

If you can't see what a huge feat it would have been to win from where he was then I don't think you are prepared to see anything. How you imagine his number-one at Ferrari status would have helped him to achieve that I can't conceive.
Old 25 May 2004, 15:08 (Ref:982637)   #40
freud
Veteran

IT HAS, ALREADY, GLEN! Past 10 years are proof. If you cant see it, then you are in denial. Whats happened at Ferrari since 1996 is an utter mockery of motorracing, competition and the word 'sport'.

Dani - I am glad you watched one race from 1979.
Old 25 May 2004, 15:27 (Ref:982659)   #41
Glen
Veteran

So it was Rubens doing those fantastic laps before the first stop - ah, I see. Not.
Old 25 May 2004, 21:02 (Ref:983020)   #42
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
IT HAS, ALREADY, GLEN! Past 10 years are proof. If you cant see it, then you are in denial. Whats happened at Ferrari since 1996 is an utter mockery of motorracing, competition and the word 'sport'.
Dani - I am glad you watched one race from 1979.
i for one would love to see (or have seen) one of m.schumacher's teammates at ferrari ie., irvine/barrichello given an equal shot, then everyone could really see how michael would blow them into the weeds, he is just that much better.....i agree with glen, his mid race laps were mesmerizing....do i think he could have won the race?......no, not on that day, it totally belonged to trulli and michael admitted as much.....and i strongly disagree that what ferrari has done since 96 has made a mockery of the sport.....now before anyone accuses me of being a relative f1 rookie and not appreciating the history of the sport, i have been following and attending grands prix since the mid 1960s and have seen quite a few eras of domination....this sport is cyclical and the ferrari domination won't last forever....
Old 26 May 2004, 01:23 (Ref:983282)   #43
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Certainly one of the better F1 races of recent years, and as has been said above would have been much better if MS had continued. I suppose you could say Ferrari have a very pragmatic approach to F1 - if winning drivers and constructors championships is the goal, they why do they need another top line driver who is more than capable of doing the job?
Old 26 May 2004, 06:50 (Ref:983446)   #44
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've been to the old folks the other day, and while most are pleasant...some are completely, errm, "cute"...

Just because they lived a few years longer than others they think they know the world..and it's fine with me really as they can live in their own world.

I really can't understand how they want to justify their views that their respectable opinions are correct when the formula is (Better racing = F1 minus MS). Surely with the benefit of experience and "greater wealth of knowledge" they could perhaps make their knowledge useful to teach the "kids" rather than rant and brush them off with biased retorts.

Glen and Dani, please feel free to insist on your views... don't let a few people intimidate you. I've read it, and with many others who had watched F1 far longer than me, see sense and logic in your words. That said...PLEASE remember, whatever you do..respect those folks

P.S haha..trying to use "age" to brush off the views of others...only for it to backfire.

Last edited by Gt_R; 26 May 2004 at 06:54.
Old 26 May 2004, 07:03 (Ref:983453)   #45
freud
Veteran

Well, we need all these MS fans otherwise what's the use!!

Its so funny we have MS fans around the world. Many people, particularly in asia, got hooked to f1 when TV arrived in 90s. I remember reading in some magazine this indian sportsman who bought a TV in early 90s and learned about f1. Due to some sponsorshop photo-op he got a chance to get alongside MS for a few photographs. I believe he was holding a cricket bat when MS asked him.. 'Where is India located'?

I, for one, would like to see how f1 expands in other continents such as asia. Someone told me that Juan Pablo would be big in asia, as he looks like an asian. I, for one, dont believe in these nonsense. MS is not popular in europe becuase he us a 'european'.. its because he is a good driver driving the most glamorous car in motorsport.

Last edited by freud; 26 May 2004 at 07:04.
Old 26 May 2004, 09:35 (Ref:983598)   #46
Glen
Veteran

BTW, Gt_R - the age card was played, by Liz, on me. She was of course totally mistaken and hadn't thought to consider that I might (as I am) be entering my fortieth year... wife, two kids, business, mortgage, four decades of F1 watching... and all that.

Even if I were spotty nineteen though I'd still expect the same respect - at the very least people can read each other's posts properly and consider the points, rather than making a wild assumption.
Old 26 May 2004, 09:57 (Ref:983620)   #47
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yepp..it's played by others on ya..only to see it rendered useless when u revealed yourself

And yes, i believe that even if you are a 10 year old new F1 fan, you still deserve respect than people constantly ranting how ignorant you are. And obviously, i also think that older folks would actually be better at expressing themselves and control their emotions/logic better than kids. And i'm quite glad that i have a "experienced" watcher together on the same side as me to lend "weight" to discussions.
Old 26 May 2004, 09:59 (Ref:983622)   #48
Gt_R
Veteran

BTT, i do agree with most that Monaco is an exciting GP.
Old 26 May 2004, 14:45 (Ref:983956)   #49
freud
Veteran

Glen, there is no way we can confirm your age

I believe the the thread has gone out of context. The thread was 'WOW! NOW THATS WHY WE WATCH F1' and it has become 'WOW WE POOR SCHU FANS GETS WACKED EVERY NOW AND AGAIN'.

Lets get back to the topic. The grand prix at monaco was the best GP of the season. The Renaults and Button were just mind-blowing. Ralf and TGF were the blockheads... All of this drama, alongwith Soto's engine blow-up, added to the excitement. All in all, a good GP.
Old 26 May 2004, 15:16 (Ref:983990)   #50
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Short summary for Freud.

Everyone was discussing why Monaco GP was good, all sensible comments, till Liz layed first egg:

"Get TGF off the grid and presto, you have competitive racing again."

Several posts later, she also broght into equation the age, and then you came in agreeing wholeheartedly with both of her "points". If there's someone who hijacked the thread, those two guys are you and Liz. Though it is nice of you, 4 days later and 48 replies, to actually try to "contribute" to the thread.