Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Closed Thread

Old 25 Oct 2014, 06:07 (Ref:3468182)   #1
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, That's my Motor Racing Over

Slight delay on posting this, having just spent nearly two weeks at Hotel New Cross Hospital.

Although the nasty C hadn't gone through the lymph nodes, two little tiny bits have broken away and found a home elsewhere. One on the brain - operated on but not all got rid of, and one on the liver - but small and well away from any important bits, like ducts.

So, they are going to control the liver one through chemo (which may help the brain), and keep radiotherapy on the brain in reserve should it be required.

So, I'll be having chemo every 3 weeks for ever (and scans to check things every 12) which, added to me being on a stick/crutches for the balance, means that I will have to reluctantly give up marshalling. Not even sure I would make it for the day if Bill volunteered.

I'll keep up the membership of the marshals' club but not bother with an MSA licence.

So, all the best to all of you and I'll continue as an "armchair marshal" - so behave
Old 25 Oct 2014, 07:43 (Ref:3468194)   #2
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
pigs fly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry hear the bad news Shelagh hopefully you will recover from this little setback but remember keep smiling as that drives everybody else insane trying too guess why your so happy.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 09:25 (Ref:3468221)   #3
saddelbags
Rookie

saddelbags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All the very best I have followed, your post what an inspiration to others John Sadler
Old 25 Oct 2014, 09:39 (Ref:3468229)   #4
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So sorry to hear this Shelagh. You're not having much luck at the moment. Hope to see you even for a brief visit to a meeting one day.

Best wishes

Jim
Old 25 Oct 2014, 13:08 (Ref:3468301)   #5
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm so saddened by that, after all you've been through along the way. We'll miss you out at the circuits immensely.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 21:22 (Ref:3468400)   #6
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry the latest news isn't better but I know you'll keep fighting. Must try to meet up with you some day soon.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 06:54 (Ref:3468579)   #7
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Guess who didn't need the extra hour in bed!

Thank you for the kind comments.

At the moment, I just feel debilitated because the head/skull is still recovering from the operation and it is like having a concrete bowling ball atop the spine. It is all very numb and feels very heavy. Small wonder I'm sleeping a lot - especially now the steroids have worn off. They kept me up as they affect sleep and, even better, I'm not eating everything in sight any more (including crockery and cutlery).

How nice it is to be back at home eating proper food (in smaller portions) and watching TV (first ward I was on had TV over the bed but the second one didn't). As a hopeless Pointless addict, it was hard!

As I am hoping that the head/skull will continue to improve, maybe by the end of winter I will be up for travelling. Need to know how I react to the chemo, though.

Could be worse. I haven't found a bus nor has some terrorist found me. And I have a wonderful husband looking after me. Now I'm home, I'm trying to look after him but it mainly consists of making coffee!

I will let him out to play if he wishes, whether or not I'm up for accompanying him.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 15:50 (Ref:3468740)   #8
Pistonbroke
Racer

Wales
Shropshire
Pistonbroke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shelagh, you won't remember me (we only met once briefly at Oulton Park) but I wanted to say how sorry I was to hear of your setback and to wish you all the best for the future.
Old 27 Oct 2014, 17:43 (Ref:3469131)   #9
Paul Newns
Veteran

A few years ago I was off work with a slipped disc for three months (bent over to pick a flask up at Donny and oops) and found I could watch quiz shows non-stop between noon and about 6:00 p.m. Learned lots of useless crap but I'm great at quiz nights now!
Old 28 Oct 2014, 15:04 (Ref:3469406)   #10
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Keep up the PMA Shelagh, and never say something is 'over' !! There's always some sort of job to be done that you could do if you're fit enough, even with no balance.......

Pit lane hooter from a Wimbledon umpire's chair perhaps ?
Old 28 Oct 2014, 15:05 (Ref:3469408)   #11
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry, I meant 'when' not 'if' ......

Too much time in Manchester Terminal 3 Departures ....
Old 28 Oct 2014, 20:13 (Ref:3469492)   #12
Barry P
Rookie

England
Seaford, East Sussex
Barry P should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Shelagh, never met you but followed your posts. All the best for the future.
Barry
Old 28 Oct 2014, 20:45 (Ref:3469507)   #13
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh View Post
How nice it is to be back at home eating proper food (in smaller portions) and watching TV (first ward I was on had TV over the bed but the second one didn't). As a hopeless Pointless addict, it was hard!.
oh dear, what's the point in that?

But don't care.
Old 31 Oct 2014, 22:35 (Ref:3470342)   #14
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
pigs fly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shelagh was that you lighting up the night sky over Stafford the other night could almost see it from here.
Old 3 Nov 2014, 16:25 (Ref:3471230)   #15
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
We missed those fireworks - wrong side of town! But how sad that two people died.

I keep setting off enough fireworks of my own, though. One thing I've noticed during this recovery is that I get extremely grouchy if things go even slightly awry. Blame the brain (and, yes, I must have one 'cos they operated on it!).

Hope to find out Thursday "what happens next".

And, if you're a "Pointless" addict, then you must be "hopeless"!!!
Old 3 Nov 2014, 18:18 (Ref:3471265)   #16
Paul Newns
Veteran

Karen says I'm grouchy, (which of course I'm not). I used to watch Grumpy Old Men and agree with everything they said. I think it's down to my age. So as I'm older than you that means I must be exponentially grumpier!
Old 4 Nov 2014, 13:22 (Ref:3471512)   #17
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
One thing I've noticed during this recovery is that I get extremely grouchy if things go even slightly awry.
Ah, so you're getting back to normal, then!

Don't be afraid to visit along with Bill. I'm sure if he's marshalling somewhere and you want to come along there's bound to be someone who can lend you a berth in a caravan or tent to have a comfortable nap during the day.

Very best wishes to you, we have everything crossed for you.
Old 4 Nov 2014, 15:13 (Ref:3471534)   #18
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
Quote:
One thing I've noticed during this recovery is that I get extremely grouchy if things go even slightly awry.
I never need an excuse to be grumpy. In fact, it's one of the few pleasures left to our rapidly maturing generation.....

Hope you're looking after Bill well... See you soon,
Old 10 Nov 2014, 18:17 (Ref:3473469)   #19
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
It's Bill looking after me! I can't even get to the local shops unless he drives me. But has been known to do it in his jim-jams!
Old 10 Nov 2014, 19:20 (Ref:3473478)   #20
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Quote:
But has been known to do it in his jim-jams!
Poor Bill, has he reached that age?

Oh, sorry, I get your meaning now. That's normal in parts of Wolverhampton.
Old 11 Nov 2014, 18:55 (Ref:3473733)   #21
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Poor Bill, has he reached that age?

Oh, sorry, I get your meaning now. That's normal in parts of Wolverhampton.
Just think about Liverpool. The girls not only go out in jim-jams but also with rollers in their hair - getting ready for the night out

While in Walton Hospital, I was allowed out for lunch on the Saturday prior to the op and we pulled up at the red lights next to a driving school car. And, yes, the learner driver had huge red rollers in her hair.

You don't get that in Stafford......

(And how would that look if us girls turned up on the bank like that?)
Old 11 Nov 2014, 23:02 (Ref:3473788)   #22
Paul Newns
Veteran

Went to a Chinese takeaway in Ellesmere Port last week and a young woman drove up in a Beemer and came in wearing pyjamas, fluffy dressing gown and slippers. Classy, ah!
Old 12 Nov 2014, 09:43 (Ref:3473873)   #23
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Newns View Post
Went to a Chinese takeaway in Ellesmere Port last week and a young woman drove up in a Beemer and came in wearing pyjamas, fluffy dressing gown and slippers. Classy, ah!
And you wonder why i've moved down south!

Shelagh, I do hope you manage to get along to a race meeting next year as it would be lovely to meet up again. Being as i'm a gentleman I would even stand up in order for you to have my chair.

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 12 Nov 2014, 12:14 (Ref:3473899)   #24
Slipstick
Racer

United Kingdom
N. Staffs
Slipstick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Newns View Post
I suspect quite a few of us have been to a Chinese takeaway wearing a bright orange "onesie" covered with random badges....and thought little of it .

What the onlookers thought we'll probably never know .

Steve
Old 12 Nov 2014, 13:19 (Ref:3473916)   #25
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstick View Post
I suspect quite a few of us have been to a Chinese takeaway wearing a bright orange "onesie" covered with random badges....and thought little of it .

What the onlookers thought we'll probably never know .

Steve
Definitely guilty. In fact, my local Chinese is so used to it that when I went in wearing normal clothes she asked 'Why you not orange? You always orange?'

That got some very strange looks from the other customers!