Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Jun 2001, 08:54 (Ref:104679)   #1
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best Driver Never To Win Bathurst

Who do yo believe is the best driver Never to win Bathurst...
I personally think there is a few George Fury, Leo Geohgan, Alan Jones etc..
Old 13 Jun 2001, 09:16 (Ref:104690)   #2
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's easy - Fangio - but I guess that's not really what you mean
Old 13 Jun 2001, 09:33 (Ref:104695)   #3
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You hit on it there... Leo Geoghegan, he would have to go very close to being the one.

But then again (as I'm reminded by the post mentioning the Daimler Dart), he did win (co-driving with Pete) the 6-hour race that preceded the current enduro in 1962. So, effectively, he has notched a win.

The best driver who has won Bathurst I know quite well, and I doubt that any will guess it. Clues? He won it only once, but had fastest lap several times, his co-driver often did the damage and his most common co-driver was also a winner with someone else.

It's funny thinking on this subject, for the drivers you think about who should have won mostly have done! Maybe not when they should have, though.

Another 'best driver' who didn't win but did compete there (and Marshal's comment is very close to the mark!) was Stirling Moss. Whether Jack Brabham should be on the list of those who should have? I don't really know...

Ah yes, here's one: Brian Muir.
Old 13 Jun 2001, 10:30 (Ref:104709)   #4
Michael Hickey
Rookie

Michael Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it would be me.But I got pole once..........................

well you didn't say it had to be the 500/1000.
Old 13 Jun 2001, 10:38 (Ref:104711)   #5
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another one would be Tim Schencken. Of course Tim is a legend in his own mind
Old 13 Jun 2001, 11:47 (Ref:104731)   #6
Ray Bell
Veteran

Nobody will believe this... another one on my list... a great driver, very good around Bathurst (once qualified a car for the late and great Paul Hawkins because he wasn't fast enough!)... Bill Brown.

Looked good, even in Hawko's hat!
Old 13 Jun 2001, 11:50 (Ref:104733)   #7
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ray, are you suggesting Kevin Bartlett as the best driver who did win Bathurst. That's what I've deduced from your cryptic clues.
Old 13 Jun 2001, 12:09 (Ref:104745)   #8
Ray Bell
Veteran

No, not at all... though he has to be very high on the list. But I don't think he set many fastest laps, if any at all. KB ran all those years in Alfas, too, drove flat out all day, but nowhere near the V8 pace.

Another clue: His co-driver only ever won once.

What about Roberto Ravaglia, by the way, he set the place alight for no wins...
Old 13 Jun 2001, 12:21 (Ref:104749)   #9
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ray,

Can you narrow down the time period as the next clue?
Old 13 Jun 2001, 12:34 (Ref:104753)   #10
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
His co-driver only ever won once, is that with your bloke or once more with someone else?
Old 13 Jun 2001, 12:36 (Ref:104755)   #11
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I suggested KB because he was very good, he excelled in open wheelers (sure to put him in your good books) and he only won once (with Goss) and Goss only won once more (with Hahne).
Old 13 Jun 2001, 12:37 (Ref:104756)   #12
Ray Bell
Veteran

Why bother? Nobody will work it out... or will they?

Okay, between 1963 and 1982

I don't think he drove all those years. And he never once drove an open wheeler. I reckoned from 1963 to about 1972 he was the best Touring Car driver in Australia, with Pete Geoghegan knocking on the door to be nearly equal.

Last edited by Ray Bell; 13 Jun 2001 at 12:40.
Old 13 Jun 2001, 12:48 (Ref:104760)   #13
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Why bother, because it's fun to solve crytic puzzles about an interesting topic.

OK, Norm Beechey never won Bathurst, Bob Jane won four times and so did Moffat, so of course they are all out. It's not Gibson because he raced open wheelers. It's not Bond or McPhee either, because their co-drivers didn't win with anyone else. Nor is it Goss, he won twice.

I don't know if KB got any fastest laps but he had several poles.
Old 13 Jun 2001, 13:27 (Ref:104776)   #14
Ray Bell
Veteran

Forget these lesser drivers... in fact, I'll send you some soap to wash your mouth out over some of them.

Why have you restricted your field to those who raced against Geoghegan in the Mustang?

Another clue? He also drove the Improved Production car Pete Geoghegan had just sold.
Old 13 Jun 2001, 20:08 (Ref:104879)   #15
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not too sure about past drivers from decades ago, but out of the current crop, I'd give my vote to Glenn Seton.
Old 13 Jun 2001, 22:32 (Ref:104921)   #16
Ray Bell
Veteran

Yes, I certainly should have thought of him...

Any more guesses about who I think was the best?

I have to say it's a very close thing, Brock really eclipsed him later on...
Old 13 Jun 2001, 23:16 (Ref:104929)   #17
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I jumped on this thread thinking "I know exactly who should have won Bathurst, but has never made it"....Glenn Seton....then I started scrolling down, and thought, "oh gee" they have gone off again about drivers I have never heard of, I may as well press the back button, WHEN...YES...thank you DNQ

I am not the only one! Glenn Seton - no doubt about it.
Old 13 Jun 2001, 23:26 (Ref:104931)   #18
Ray Bell
Veteran

I was also born too late... just imagine what it must have been like to see those pre-war cars and drivers in the flesh?

And to see a Bathurst with barbed-wire fences, patches in the roadway, no white lines at the edge and Holden S4s?

Well, I did see them, and I've contributed a reasonable list of probable contenders:

Leo Geoghegan (first mentioned by colinbond0
Brian Muir
Bill Brown

The other one that seems a probability has come from DNQ:

Glenn Seton

That's a fair crop, but there may be more...
Old 14 Jun 2001, 02:28 (Ref:104952)   #19
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I'd rather call Glenn Seton the best driver yet to win Bathurst than best driver never to win.

As for Ray's mysteryman and one time Bathurst winner, I'm just about stumped, what I've deduced from his clues has just about eliminated everyone.
Old 14 Jun 2001, 02:35 (Ref:104957)   #20
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am also too young to remember most of these drivers. However, I have heard about them. Of the current crop, (I know they haven't been there often) Radisich and Ambrose (Marcos hasn't been there at all so I guess he doesn't qualify). The Rat should've won in '99, although I suppose these guys are also YET to win.

I reckon AJ is a contender too.

Scott Pruett and Tommy Kendall as well. They qualifies for the category.
Old 14 Jun 2001, 03:12 (Ref:104971)   #21
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wakefield

ok, onto Ray's cryptic clues...absolutely no idea

He won it only once, but had fastest lap several times, his co-driver often did the damage and his most common co-driver was also a winner with someone else.

OK, John French, KB, H. Firth, Jacky Ickx?

Absolutely bugger if i know!
Old 14 Jun 2001, 03:16 (Ref:104974)   #22
Ray Bell
Veteran

Not on a par with Moss or Brabham, I'm afraid...

There were some European tyros brought here in the seventies, who were they? Fitzpatrick and Ickx had wins, so they're not among them... Gerry Marshall ('fraid not), Derek Bell - yes, cousin Derek should be on the list - Roberto Businello? Did he come?

George Fury
Masahero (?) Hasemi (anyone who gets pole and fastest lap in a World title race should be on the list...)
Derek Bell
Doug Whiteford

Many to choose from...
Old 14 Jun 2001, 09:24 (Ref:105040)   #23
MadMick
Rookie

MadMick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
G'day Ray

I got a deer with no eyes regarding your mystery man , and although I am a Holden Nut 100%, I would love to see Glenn Seton win it and am sure he will in the next few years if he dont spit the dummy and give up first.
Old 14 Jun 2001, 10:22 (Ref:105059)   #24
redback
Racer

redback should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ray, Could it be John Harvey?

I have to admit I almost cried when Seto's car stopped just short of his maiden win. Back then he was super quick and really deserved to win.
Old 14 Jun 2001, 10:38 (Ref:105067)   #25
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Redback,

Funny I have thought of this all day today while at work and I wondered about Harvey, but didn't know enough of his early years. He must have won with Brock? Or was that just Richards and Perkins with Harvey in the second car? I can't remember.

I do think that Harvey was under rated and took care of the machinery unlike Brock. He was the brains behind the HDT road cars as well. Plus I believe he was quicker than Brock on many occassions, as were Perkins and Richards.