Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 30 Jan 2018, 13:26 (Ref:3796866)   #6101
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Very sad to see Davidson out. He's a fast driver who made lots of exciting moves. And provided tons of interesting technical info. From these points of view it's a great loss. Hope to see him in a private entry.
Old 30 Jan 2018, 13:52 (Ref:3796872)   #6102
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news!!! It is very good that they confirmed Pechito Lopez. He is a great driver.
Old 30 Jan 2018, 14:23 (Ref:3796876)   #6103
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
I think it reflects very poorly on Toyota to relegate Davidson. They owe him more loyalty than that.
No they don't really. You go in and out by the cold results, that's how it goes. In the end he's just an employee with contract that says this and that, not their friend or anything. Yes I know the cliche wording of everyone in the championship being part of a 'family' but this is corporate world.

Of course ideally and logically the would have third car at Le Mans where he or whoever else could be fitted at, but unfortunately that's not what the beam counters elsewhere have decided. It may well bring them to their doom once again, but we'll see.

Anyway, I hope Alonso gets to do Sebring 1500 in 2019, though the close proximity to Australia and bPR prep with that isn't exactly helping... but Bourdais did the 12 back in 2009 so it's possible
Old 30 Jan 2018, 14:24 (Ref:3796877)   #6104
Irie
Racer

Irie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't understand the bitternes about Davidson being dropped and owing him gratitude. The only thing that matters is performance (which I think Alonso will bring and a huge amount of publicity) and to me it seemed that he was not as fast last season as before compared to the other drivers of the #8. The only other driver that could have been dropped would be Lopez and I remember him improving to the end of the season and being quite quick. If someone has the numbers maybe he could tell us how the two's pace was compared to each other.
EDIT: And the race that he mysteriously missed last year.

Last edited by Irie; 30 Jan 2018 at 14:30.
Old 30 Jan 2018, 14:51 (Ref:3796891)   #6105
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota have all the data etc so they know who is best to replace far more than anyone else does.

Still a bit of a mystery over the withdrawal for "personal reasons" last year after a poor drive.
Old 30 Jan 2018, 14:52 (Ref:3796892)   #6106
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Shame for Ant, but it's not like they are replacing him with a complete nobody, they are replacing him with perhaps the greatest of F1 driver of his generation. I wish him well
Old 30 Jan 2018, 15:00 (Ref:3796900)   #6107
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
Toyota have all the data etc so they know who is best to replace far more than anyone else does.

Still a bit of a mystery over the withdrawal for "personal reasons" last year after a poor drive.
Who knows, might be family related (could he be wanting to spend more time at home with his spouse/significant other/kids/parents)?
Old 30 Jan 2018, 19:07 (Ref:3796956)   #6108
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
He's still part of the team. He isn't being fired. I'm sure more will come out from this, who knows if it'll be PR from Anthony or the truth, but in all likelihood, he'll race for them at Fuji since Alonso will be doing the US GP. I was hoping for a third car, but I guess that would be overkill. I don't feel this is Toyota's "last chance" to win Le Mans so bringing 3 cars is a must, but it would have been nice. I remember hearing that 2014 was their last chance when they got blown away in 2015. But it seems Alonso will do the whole Super Season bar any conflicting F1 race. That's good news imo.

This really is more than just a good chance for him to win the big one. Him racing for Toyota brings more eyes to the team and sport as a whole. It made the top story on autosport.com- the wec never gets that attention. If that is any indication of how things go in terms of exposure, the wec just got a much needed shot in the arm after the Porsche withdrawal in lmp1.
Old 30 Jan 2018, 20:01 (Ref:3796976)   #6109
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Woo. Alonso! Bloody brilliant.
Old 30 Jan 2018, 22:05 (Ref:3796999)   #6110
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Woo. Alonso! Bloody brilliant.
Yep. I get the disappointment over Davidson being dropped, but that would be the case with any of the current drivers if they had to make way (bar possibly Lopez, but then the complaint would - rightly - be that he hasn't had time to show what he is capable of). And I doubt anybody here would not make room for Alonso if they were in charge and there was no other choice.*

Focus on the positives; Toyota have just signed one of the very fastest and most marketable drivers available.

*Yes, third car, but for whatever reason that's not happening.
Old 30 Jan 2018, 23:04 (Ref:3797013)   #6111
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
While I find interesting to see Alonso on a P1 car, I don't like too much the way. It looks like everybody is trying to make him won the triple crown, or using his image to take some credit.

I want to see him at Le Mans or Indy500, but not if somebody else must leave his seat when Fernando is free to race. I think 2017 with Toyota with three cars was the year, not now. WEC will take the benefit, and at Totyota everything will be prepared to make Fernando's car win.

I'm more enthusiastic with the private P1 cars.
Old 31 Jan 2018, 05:03 (Ref:3797055)   #6112
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I wouldn't be be surprised to see him do Fiji too. It will depend on where McLaren are in F1 at that time.
Old 31 Jan 2018, 06:27 (Ref:3797066)   #6113
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
That's what we're all hoping.
Speak for yourself there!
Some of us might hope for a privateer victory in ‘18 and ‘19 .

Nothing against Toyota, I just love the amazing races a well performing underdog/blackhorse can provide.
Old 31 Jan 2018, 06:30 (Ref:3797067)   #6114
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Am I the only one starting to fear the friday pit walk?
The pit will be clogged right from the entry and then a desert after.
Old 31 Jan 2018, 07:33 (Ref:3797082)   #6115
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Tuesday autograph session will be a lot worse.
Old 31 Jan 2018, 07:52 (Ref:3797084)   #6116
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
I confess I don't do the Friday pit walk any more. It's almost pointless, you can't see anything. In 2016 James, Toby and I got in on the Wednesday, when there were only a few dozen people in the whole pitlane. Couldn't do that last year though......
Old 31 Jan 2018, 14:17 (Ref:3797162)   #6117
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Everyone ready for a season of hearing where one car finishes every if they end up P25 every race?
Old 31 Jan 2018, 16:02 (Ref:3797191)   #6118
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
He's still part of the team. He isn't being fired. I'm sure more will come out from this, who knows if it'll be PR from Anthony or the truth, but in all likelihood, he'll race for them at Fuji since Alonso will be doing the US GP. I was hoping for a third car, but I guess that would be overkill. I don't feel this is Toyota's "last chance" to win Le Mans so bringing 3 cars is a must, but it would have been nice. I remember hearing that 2014 was their last chance when they got blown away in 2015. But it seems Alonso will do the whole Super Season bar any conflicting F1 race. That's good news imo.

This really is more than just a good chance for him to win the big one. Him racing for Toyota brings more eyes to the team and sport as a whole. It made the top story on autosport.com- the wec never gets that attention. If that is any indication of how things go in terms of exposure, the wec just got a much needed shot in the arm after the Porsche withdrawal in lmp1.
True, but lets be honest F1 is just a 'Celebrity Series' all about the drivers not about Real technological cars like we have in WEC.
I'll be rooting for #7...it's been the fastest (best engineered?) car of the pair for the past two seasons, just less lucky.
Old 31 Jan 2018, 16:06 (Ref:3797194)   #6119
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Who knows, might be family related (could he be wanting to spend more time at home with his spouse/significant other/kids/parents)?
He was ill in Mexico and they rested him for Austin...He is desperate to Win LeMans having gotten so close so many times!
Old 31 Jan 2018, 17:40 (Ref:3797217)   #6120
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I appreciate I'm quite slow to pick up these things so perhaps someone could explain to me in a line or two why Toyota have concluded that it is better to retain Lopez on the driving front rather than Davidson? (And Rennen, I'm happy for you to sit this one out..... ).
Old 31 Jan 2018, 19:11 (Ref:3797247)   #6121
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lopez was apparently (I haven't looked at the times myself) very fast at Le Mans, and as a rookie in 2017 his potential for improvement has got to be seen as higher than Davidson's potential for improvement?

Having said that, I would have kept Davidson
Old 31 Jan 2018, 21:54 (Ref:3797295)   #6122
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Lopez was faster than both other drivers in the #9 at Le Mans. He put the #7 on pole the race after at Nurburgring. He had a bad race at Shanghai, but I remember all the other drivers had bad races with contact and incidents when it was their first year too. Even their second or third year. Conway at Spa, Lapierre at Le Mans and COTA, Kobayashi at Le Mans, Nakajima vs the Deltawing, Davidson was looked at negatively for his Peugeot 908 aggressiveness. Everyone has issues.
Old 1 Feb 2018, 07:57 (Ref:3797370)   #6123
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm also very sorry for Ant, but it's done now, and for the team, far better this way than the ad hoc rotation of drivers originally proposed, in my opinion.
Old 1 Feb 2018, 09:50 (Ref:3797393)   #6124
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry for Ant. He's not the same driver that he was. And has not been the same since 2014 or so. I personally don't think he's enjoyed driving these hybrid cars. It's something different to pure race car driving. Sarrazin seemed to go off the rails in similar fashion. All odd.
Old 1 Feb 2018, 12:45 (Ref:3797438)   #6125
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
. I personally don't think he's enjoyed driving these hybrid cars. It's something different to pure race car driving. Sarrazin seemed to go off the rails in similar fashion. All odd.
I think this is a general thought of the drivers. I have heard Lopez saying the cars are "particularly antinatural to drive". I think the only difference about the thought about the cars between Lopez and Davidson, is the moment of their sporting carrers. Even Lotterer when he went to Porsche have said the car have no torque at all compared with the Audi and his diesel engine. We will see a more happy Lotterer at Rebellion than at Porsche, even if he run third all the race.