Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 26 Jan 2018, 10:20 (Ref:3795225)   #51
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
The Monte Carlo is up and running

Looks like there have been a few dramas already with people suffering with punctures (and Mikklesen with an alternator issue). Tanak looks to have got to grips with the Toyota as he's already notched up a stage win.
Old 26 Jan 2018, 11:33 (Ref:3795241)   #52
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Looks like there have been a few dramas already with people suffering with punctures (and Mikklesen with an alternator issue). Tanak looks to have got to grips with the Toyota as he's already notched up a stage win.
Still think its real shame that he isn't in the Fiesta again, but I hope he does well in the Yaris: early signs are definitely encouraging. I think Latvala could end up looking like the number two driver in that team before long!

Not a great start for Neuville, there is a certain amount of pot luck on the Monte though, so plenty of time for change yet!
Old 26 Jan 2018, 16:54 (Ref:3795283)   #53
Monaaniston
Rookie

Monaaniston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
World Rally Championship 2018

Well! what a roller coaster it has been to see Sébastien Loeb inking his name in the history from 2004 to 2012 and than Sébastien Ogier from 2013 to 2017.

Who do you think is taking it home this time?
Old 27 Jan 2018, 18:31 (Ref:3795469)   #54
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Ford has Ogier and Evans. They are serious candidates.

Hyundai has Neuville and Mikkelsen. Also serious candidates.

Toyota has Latvala, Tanäk and Lappi. Not bad, but less competitive.

Citroën has Meeke and Breen. I don't expect anything from them.
Old 28 Jan 2018, 00:18 (Ref:3795798)   #55
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
...I think Latvala could end up looking like the number two driver in that team before long!...
The dynamics in that team is going to be very interesting to watch. Latvala may find another level he didn't know he had or he may disintegrate psychologically as he realises he has been superceded.

On a different note, does anybody know why Sordo and Marc Marti parted ways? I see Carlos del Barrio is back. I remember ages ago the look of sheer terror on his face as his then driver Xavi Pons (that bloke had a proper fiery temperament!) was ripping into him after a pace note mistake.

Enjoying the rally so far. Really tricky stuff as usual; the Monte is endurance.
Old 28 Jan 2018, 19:16 (Ref:3796399)   #56
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post
The dynamics in that team is going to be very interesting to watch. Latvala may find another level he didn't know he had or he may disintegrate psychologically as he realises he has been superceded.
Well Latvala didn't find the extra level against Ogier - I don't think he has one. He's a good driver but like Hirvonen seems to just fall short of greatness,

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post
Enjoying the rally so far. Really tricky stuff as usual; the Monte is endurance.
It's been good hasn't it? There have been some sections that have been absolutely flat out and other where the cars are barely moving (and still going off!). I don't think anyone has had a clear run have they?
Old 29 Jan 2018, 08:30 (Ref:3796556)   #57
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As usual some spectators are putting themselves at risk, watching those off road excursions across the snow covered fields was quite alarming. On those flat, straight sections the cars were travelling at very high speeds and the onlookers lining the roadside snow banks would stand no chance of leaping out of the way of an errant vehicle. I'm not an H & S fanatic having attended hundreds of live motor racing events in all sorts of disciplines I know what a thrill it is to witness the action close up but the horrors of a big off ploughing through spectators is distinct possibility.
Elfyn Evans is putting in a strong performance alongside his more illustrious team mate.
Old 29 Jan 2018, 09:40 (Ref:3796565)   #58
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Monte was the same last year, there were long sections clearly marked with "No spectator" signs and you could barely see the signs for all the people standing round them!

I have seen a few alarming moments from this years Monte but, in terms of crowd danger, nothing like we saw in Poland last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa
Yeah, I agree. I hope its the former but I suspect its going to be the latter.

Great opening result for Tanak and good fight backs from Evans and Neuville. Good push from Meeke on the power stage as well, at least he got something positive out of the weekend.
Old 29 Jan 2018, 11:45 (Ref:3796580)   #59
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A handful of comments about the Monte, and at a quiet time for motorsport (apart from Daytona)....Is rallying really that unpopular?

Good event, but not much real drama. I don’t think we’ve seen a properly epic Monte since the IRC days, especially the 2011 that Bouffier won.

However, a clever drive from Ogier; paced himself, was fast when needed, and had a bit of luck, but that is the Monte. Evans was hampered by a puncture and set some fast times. I think M-Sport will be consistent everywere, without necessary being the fastest.

Toyota look to be in a good place, and Tanak was impressive in his first event with them – Latvala took a decent 3rd place, and Lappi showed some pace before a slight off on the final stage.

Hyundai need to work on their reliability, as the speed is there; Neuville rescued 5th place with a good drive after his off on the first icy, dark stage.

As for Citroen, I’m not sure were they are; Meeke pulled a rabbit out of the hat on the final stage and claimed 4th place, plus a Power stage 5 point bonus. Breen had one of those events were nothing seemed to go right.
Old 29 Jan 2018, 14:50 (Ref:3796628)   #60
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Televised rally isn't really about the competition, but about cars driving seriously fast on narrow public roads.
Old 29 Jan 2018, 21:28 (Ref:3796706)   #61
cg7aa
Veteran

Monte Highlights on RedBull TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Televised rally isn't really about the competition, but about cars driving seriously fast on narrow public roads.
What did we all make of the TV coverage then? I watch the highlights on RedBull TV and the day 3 show was nearly 1.5hrs with extended footage of the power stage added. I'm really looking forward to Sweden for the long helicopter overhead shots, it's gonna be beautiful!

Anyway,going back to the Monte, it kinda went quiet after day 1 but I think enough happened to keep a level of interest in the rally.
Old 30 Jan 2018, 09:49 (Ref:3796807)   #62
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
I haven't watched the Red Bull coverage yet, I followed most of the rally via Facebook and the WRC website. Channel 5 will be showing an hour highlight show this evening and I will try and catch up on the Red Bull shows later this week.

I thought the Red Bull coverage was pretty good last year, so I like the sound of longer shows with more footage of the cars.
Old 30 Jan 2018, 19:35 (Ref:3796968)   #63
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Be prepared for a ,ot of standing in posh clothing in a paddock area, much liek their awful Dakar footage

I lasted about 15 minutes before giving up sorry
Old 30 Jan 2018, 19:50 (Ref:3796973)   #64
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Be prepared for a ,ot of standing in posh clothing in a paddock area...
Are you referring to the Dakar or Monte?
Old 30 Jan 2018, 20:11 (Ref:3796981)   #65
52Paddy
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
52Paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Channel 5 will be showing an hour highlight show this evening
Over the Christmas holidays I decided to catch up on the WRC world via mini season reviews I found online. I haven't followed the sport since the Loeb era so was well out of the loop. In fact, I still am, as there's only so much you can really gain from 3-minute rally reviews in wrc.com's Youtube channel and skimming through magazine rally reports.

That said, I watched Channel 5's highlights this evening and enjoyed it, though that's probably saying more about my rekindled love affair with the sport rather than the coverage itself. I never liked Paul King's presentation style and I was a little disappointed to see that he's still the man on the microphone after all these years. I also think that C5 could have done more coverage of the non-WRC class runners instead of putting in silly little skits for "entertainment" such as the afternoon tea with Ott Tanak or a 'state-the-bleedin'-obvious' segment on tyre choices.

But, I'm not going to be too ungrateful. I'm glad to be back on the saddle. I'm hoping that the championship this year is as competitive as 2017 seemed to be. And, wow, I've two people to support this year: Kris Meeke and Craig Breen - both from the island of Ireland! I've never had the privilege in my 20 years as an armchair enthusiast.

Sweden, let's be having ya!
Old 31 Jan 2018, 08:59 (Ref:3797109)   #66
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Paddy View Post
That said, I watched Channel 5's highlights this evening and enjoyed it, though that's probably saying more about my rekindled love affair with the sport rather than the coverage itself. I never liked Paul King's presentation style and I was a little disappointed to see that he's still the man on the microphone after all these years. I also think that C5 could have done more coverage of the non-WRC class runners instead of putting in silly little skits for "entertainment" such as the afternoon tea with Ott Tanak or a 'state-the-bleedin'-obvious' segment on tyre choices.
I know what you mean about the time filling segments, I used to find that sort of thing infuriating during the Dave coverage years ago as I would much rather see footage of the cars in action then watch some unfunny skit. I have got used to Paul King's style, but it isn't the best: and at least that clueless idiot Neil Cole didn't crop up on Channel 5 last year!

These days I don't mind if there is a bit filler in the TV highlights; I watch the highlights to follow the events of the rally, then go to You Tube to watch the cars. There are so many great channels posting HD footage from rallies now (and all with pure audio).

I recorded the Channel 5 program last night but I was working late, so I shall be watching that this evening!
Old 31 Jan 2018, 15:18 (Ref:3797181)   #67
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes, Channel 5 do well to do show most of the stages, and I thought them announcing who’s driving where was well done. The rally was good, everyone had their moments, good and bad, even Ogier wasn’t fault free. Here’s to a great season ahead
Old 31 Jan 2018, 16:20 (Ref:3797196)   #68
Grandprix
Rookie

Grandprix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know if anyone saw the BT Sport final day highlights package but the episode was edited. They teased a mention of Carlos Sainz Jr. That was edited out. Fortunately, I had seen the power stage but that was completely edited out of the episode.
Old 3 Feb 2018, 15:03 (Ref:3798035)   #69
cg7aa
Veteran

Did I hear this right? Does it really cost some 70 Euros for WRC+ access per event? If it is true then someone really needs to redo their market research. I could just about understand it if that was the total cost for the full season but per event? Where exactly is the market? We all like a bit of rally action but I dare say, it is not so important that we would want to sit and watch every stage live at those prices.

I had a hunch the extra coverage promised would be for paying fans only rather than being free to all, the costs obviously need to be passed on to someone but that pricing strategy is curious.
Old 4 Feb 2018, 04:31 (Ref:3798300)   #70
juha205
Rookie

Spain
Galicia (Northwest Spain)
juha205 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
89.99€ per year, 8.99 per month, all stages live.

https://plus.wrc.com/en/subscription/chooseProduct/
Old 4 Feb 2018, 15:35 (Ref:3798430)   #71
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by juha205 View Post
89.99€ per year, 8.99 per month, all stages live.

https://plus.wrc.com/en/subscription/chooseProduct/
That seems more realistic, I don't know where the folk I heard talking about the costs got their numbers from! It didn't sound right i.e. way too high.
Old 11 Feb 2018, 06:53 (Ref:3800423)   #72
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Frustrating that this new WRC+ has pretty much put an end to live TV coverage of everything but the power stage in the UK.
Old 11 Feb 2018, 11:01 (Ref:3800464)   #73
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can't imagine it will stay around for long if people don't use it. So the answer is simple, don't use it. Think of the long game not your own personal selfishness
Old 16 Feb 2018, 16:55 (Ref:3801852)   #74
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Sweden looking good so far - I've only caught a few bits of coverage but it looks like conditions are superb (lots of snow!). Hyundai 1-2-3 at the moment - Ogier suffering with road position, he's way out of contention at the moment.
Old 16 Feb 2018, 18:00 (Ref:3801880)   #75
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Sweden looking good so far - I've only caught a few bits of coverage but it looks like conditions are superb (lots of snow!). Hyundai 1-2-3 at the moment - Ogier suffering with road position, he's way out of contention at the moment.
Where's the coverage?