Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 27 Sep 2005, 18:49 (Ref:1418156)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Ken Ungar Resigns

Ken Ungar is leaving the IRL's office at the end of the season, to "consider new challenges".

SpeedTV article.
Old 2 Oct 2005, 13:12 (Ref:1422005)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Both series have had... No less than two dozen vice presidents or directors of marketing or sales... during the past decade.
Robin Miller suggests that Ungar was actually fired.
Old 2 Oct 2005, 13:51 (Ref:1422027)   #3
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He suggests it. But with Ungar, I don't think so. He wasn't exactly THE marketing guy, although the marketing guys reported to him. He was primarily responsible for dealing with promoters on scheduling and oversaw and matchmade with the TV guys what was going on there, and under his watch, the schedule and TV expanded. As I've heard it, Ungar fostered good relationships with a lot of people. And he lasted in the IMS/IRL executive suite for eight years, unlike most of the rest of the folks Miller mentioned in either series.
Old 2 Oct 2005, 14:32 (Ref:1422041)   #4
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
He wasn't exactly THE marketing guy, although the marketing guys reported to him.
Enlighten me, because that makes no sense. Why would the marketing guys answer to him if he's not the marketing guy. He may have had other responsibilities, but one can only assume that marketing is one of them
if the marketing guys answer to him.
I think the bigger picture however is that OW racing in America is a hard sell.
Telling people it's great isn't enough. You have to invite them in and make them feel involved, like NASCAR has. Traditional stick and ball sports have a built in fan base in their respective cities so building an allegiance is easier, though not always a guarantee. NASCAR has built a fan base where as fans can identify with the personalities, this is where OW has failed.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 2 Oct 2005, 15:46 (Ref:1422077)   #5
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe it's the very idea of a position of "VP, Sales and Marketing" that's untenable.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 2 Oct 2005, 16:08 (Ref:1422087)   #6
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ungar's title was "senior vice president of business affairs," per macdaddy's first link, not "top marketing guy." Bill Long, who was the top marketing guy (with whatever title) under Ungar, departed several months ago.
p-c, you might have something there.
Old 5 Oct 2005, 01:08 (Ref:1424089)   #7
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
Robin Miller suggests that Ungar was actually fired.

He was told to resign or be fired. Unger was a major roadblock to anything constructive getting done in the IRL. He can now go back to his first love, Liberal Democratic politics. He was hired as a favor to Sen. Evan Bayh by Tony George and now he can have him back.
Old 5 Oct 2005, 15:07 (Ref:1424487)   #8
indycool
Veteran

Well, TO, if you go to macdaddy's link on Miller, you'll find that the headline has been changed and the lead rewritten, with Ungar apparently telling Miller he WASN'T fired, judging from the rewrite.
Old 5 Oct 2005, 17:56 (Ref:1424605)   #9
Team Owner
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
Well, TO, if you go to macdaddy's link on Miller, you'll find that the headline has been changed and the lead rewritten, with Ungar apparently telling Miller he WASN'T fired, judging from the rewrite.
I'm sure that's what he's telling people but remember I said he was told "to resign" or be fired. He resigned.
Old 5 Oct 2005, 18:03 (Ref:1424608)   #10
indycool
Veteran

Well, guess you have your secret sources like Miller always does..........
Old 6 Oct 2005, 14:54 (Ref:1425409)   #11
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We could start a poll and see how many of us believe Team Owner to have been credible in the past?
Old 6 Oct 2005, 16:29 (Ref:1425495)   #12
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Personally, I believe that Team Owner is the best source for such info on this Forum....

If he says it, I believe it....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 6 Oct 2005, 16:44 (Ref:1425506)   #13
Team Owner
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
Personally, I believe that Team Owner is the best source for such info on this Forum....

If he says it, I believe it....

Thank You. Actually this was a lesson in semantics as when Unger says he didn't get fired, he actually didn't. He was told to resign or be fired, so he resigned.

A dozen or so more turnovers are possible as Barnhart takes full reign and eliminates dead weight in the office.
Old 7 Oct 2005, 01:56 (Ref:1425888)   #14
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
Personally, I believe that Team Owner is the best source for such info on this Forum.... If he says it, I believe it....
Agreed. The forum would be a great place if we had more insiders.