Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 1 May 2001, 23:30 (Ref:87782)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
When will crompton get a go ?

watching the Eatern creek round and listening to Crompton talk about the construction of the new gibson motorsport AU and how the team are taking their time about it..i was wondering does anyone actually know when Neil is scheduled to start racing Lowndes current car at all ???

of course why would gibson rush the new car when the old one is performing fantastically but neil is starting to sound very impatient and just wants to get out there.
Old 1 May 2001, 23:56 (Ref:87792)   #2
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Neil's been sounding impatient since the start of the year....

If there was any sanity in the world, they should have let Crompton have a run in King Rodney's car while he got over his dizzy spell.
Old 2 May 2001, 02:16 (Ref:87837)   #3
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: When will crompton get a go ?

Quote:
Originally posted by marcus
..of course why would gibson rush the new car when the old one is performing fantastically but neil is starting to sound very impatient and just wants to get out there.
And why should they rush it when he's doing the TV commentary instead and giving extra mentions to their sponsors?

Maybe that's why he's in the team?
Old 2 May 2001, 03:20 (Ref:87850)   #4
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Um...what sponsors ?

The car is still devoid of sponsorship except for the big Ford logo.
Old 2 May 2001, 08:35 (Ref:87885)   #5
thompson_fan
Racer

thompson_fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well when i was walking behind the pit building at the Gibson garage they had Lowndes car in the right hand side closer to pit lane.

However they had a car on the left which was covered over and closer to the transporters. Which had a Red bonnet & some writing on it. Maybe this is the new car Crompton is talking about.

Have any of u noticed that the rear fender on Forbes car has a Gibson logo. What's happening there?
Old 2 May 2001, 08:43 (Ref:87887)   #6
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That would have been the Forbes car in the Gibson transporter under covers. Gibson run Forbes's car, the ex-Colourscan machine, and after Rodney was too sick last Friday to pre-qualify, I'd imagine they just put it in a corner somwhere.

When they finish their new car, Crompton will get the ex-Lowndes ex-Baird ex-Bright car. However from what I hear they are still a ways off from finishing their car, and are relying on a fair few outside sources for parts. In fact, I think Stone Brothers Racing still carry their spare engine around for them.....
Old 2 May 2001, 08:44 (Ref:87888)   #7
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw that car as well. Maybe that was the Forbes Falcon and they felt it was safer in the garage than leaving it on the trailer for a few nights.

Why would they take a half built car to the race track ?

***And just as I posted this Crash said the same thing ! Just thought I'd edit this little extra bit in so I don't look like a dill.

Last edited by Buckshot; 2 May 2001 at 08:46.
Old 2 May 2001, 11:34 (Ref:87927)   #8
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crompton's presence in the media is a very attractive thing for the team for whom he drives. He can help them get a sponsor as well as help promote those they may have at any given time.

Given that, he's a better driver than he might be as well, a most worthwhile member of any team, as he's proved over the years.
Old 2 May 2001, 12:58 (Ref:87971)   #9
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
The Gibson team have sponsors, there is no trouble there- but what they are doing is waiting for them all to be finalised so that they can sort out the positioning of the logos on the cars. (ie, sponsor A comes along with $200,000, then sponsor B comes along with $300,000. Now they have to sort out who gets what signage for their money.)
Old 3 May 2001, 02:17 (Ref:88190)   #10
thompson_fan
Racer

thompson_fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah ur probably right about the 2nd car in the Gibson garage.

Just 1 question though. I noticed that on Lowndes race suit he has Mobil 1 and GMC sponsership.
Now i gather that these r his personal sponsers but why aren't there on the car
Old 6 May 2001, 09:13 (Ref:89579)   #11
hypo
Racer

hypo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will be a shame when Crompton gets back in the driving seat,his presence on the Ten comentary team is great.
He is by far the best bloke they`ve had behind the desk.
Old 6 May 2001, 11:23 (Ref:89614)   #12
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Meh....get Roy and HG in there in his place . (Can you tell I'm listening to the state of origin at the moment??)
Old 6 May 2001, 13:33 (Ref:89640)   #13
nz_tourer
Rookie

nz_tourer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
damn entertaining match too

Crompton is a real good commentater. I hope that Rusty doesn't (he will) take over his role when Neil vacates the seat. He is irritating and tries to be like Leigh Diffey but is over entusiastic and takes over.

I cant wait to see Neil race. Craigs and Neils driving styles have been compared, and Neil has in the past been heard of to complain about his machinery at FTR so maybe now as he is inheriting a race winning car and working with a team that favours his style he may prodcue results.
Old 6 May 2001, 21:35 (Ref:89768)   #14
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just as you said, NZ-tourer, it will be great when Neil gets back at on the track. Personally, I just can't wait until Bathurst - Crompton and Lowdnes at the wheel of a nice new Falcon. Can't wait, should be good.

Also, Neil is a great comentator, and I will be sad to see him leave! Anyone noticed how this year we are not hearing as many Oohs and Aahhs from the commentary team?!
Old 19 Jun 2001, 00:45 (Ref:106688)   #15
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Now that the team had to do some very major repairs to Craig's car after Hidden Valley, the new car has been delayed once again

But who do you think wont be getting starts if the Larko second car, and Crompton's cars get out there? That means 2 more people will be sent home after pre-qualifying.....thats the downside of this I guess...
Old 20 Jun 2001, 12:26 (Ref:107340)   #16
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i too hope that rusty doesn't replace crompton, he is doing a good job and it seems like a channel 7 reunion on channel 10. Surely it doesn't take 5 rounds to work out where to put logos on a car, and sponsers are always going to offer more. I just reckon they are asking for too much and no -one will pay it.