Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 11 May 2017, 16:37 (Ref:3732842)   #251
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one_day View Post
How many different ratios can the teams use?
As many as they like AFAIK but they have to nominate them 2 hours before the 1st race and 1 hour before the 2nd and 3rd races.
Old 11 May 2017, 16:44 (Ref:3732844)   #252
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
So do Team Dynamics use 6 sets of brakes per car every weekend?
If they can afford it and it gives an advantage, I'd believe it.
Old 11 May 2017, 17:31 (Ref:3732857)   #253
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
How many different ratios can the teams use?
There are 20 homologated ratios for use across the 6 gears.
Old 11 May 2017, 17:31 (Ref:3732858)   #254
one_day
Rookie

one_day should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
As many as they like AFAIK but they have to nominate them 2 hours before the 1st race and 1 hour before the 2nd and 3rd races.
So how many gear ratios would teams like Dynamics, WSR and 888 have?
Old 11 May 2017, 17:33 (Ref:3732859)   #255
one_day
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
There are 20 homologated ratios for use across the 6 gears.
Posted the same time as I asked lol
Old 11 May 2017, 17:33 (Ref:3732860)   #256
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
So do Team Dynamics use 6 sets of brakes per car every weekend?
If they see a benefit, they will. I guess they might re-use ones that don't complete many laps (such as Neal's from Brands) in a later test/FP session?
Old 11 May 2017, 17:35 (Ref:3732861)   #257
one_day
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
If they can afford it and it gives an advantage, I'd believe it.
How much is a set of brakes for a BTCC car? (front discs and pads)
Old 11 May 2017, 17:46 (Ref:3732863)   #258
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
How much is a set of brakes for a BTCC car? (front discs and pads)
I think - about £500 per wheel for pads and rotor. That may not sound like much, but when you look at new pads/rotors for each race that's £2,000 x 30 = £60,000 just on brakes to run a car.
Old 11 May 2017, 18:32 (Ref:3732872)   #259
one_day
Rookie

Quote:
I think - about £500 per wheel for pads and rotor. That may not sound like much, but when you look at new pads/rotors for each race that's £2,000 x 30 = £60,000 just on brakes to run a car.
Wow!!! And that doesn't even include FP1,FP2 and qualifying
Old 11 May 2017, 19:16 (Ref:3732875)   #260
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
did anyone see Car SOS recently ???

Matt Neal apperead in it and he was "tricked" via a helium baloon by Tim Shaw to refurbsih some Caterham rims for free
Old 11 May 2017, 19:18 (Ref:3732877)   #261
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Wow!!! And that doesn't even include FP1,FP2 and qualifying
It might be a bit less than that, but you can easily see why not all teams can afford to do it.
It's why teams can't complain about Honda's braking advantage, because there's no budget cap.
Old 11 May 2017, 19:33 (Ref:3732879)   #262
one_day
Rookie

Quote:
It might be a bit less than that, but you can easily see why not all teams can afford to do it.
It's why teams can't complain about Honda's braking advantage, because there's no budget cap.
So Honda can spend as much as they like on brakes, so would that be the same for tyres? As the Honda looks mega in the corners.
Old 11 May 2017, 19:48 (Ref:3732881)   #263
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
So Honda can spend as much as they like on brakes, so would that be the same for tyres? As the Honda looks mega in the corners.
no. all teams have the same limit on tyres.
Old 12 May 2017, 06:20 (Ref:3732919)   #264
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
no. all teams have the same limit on tyres.
But some teams may not be able to afford the full allocation of new tyres at each event.
Some teams may be putting 'used' tyres on their car on occasion, as they have to pay for them from Dunlop.

'A driver may use a maximum of 12 new ‘standard compound’ tyres plus 8 previously marked/declared standard compound tyres per Meeting, including any Free Practice session(s), except at a driver’s first Meeting where a maximum of 16 'standard compound' new tyres may be used. The number of previously marked/declared tyres may be increased if less than 12 new tyres are marked/declared, always provided that the total number of tyres (20) is not exceeded at any time. '
Old 12 May 2017, 07:41 (Ref:3732927)   #265
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found this article a bit odd - https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/m...c-type-r-racer - as it talks about the Honda having "well servoed brakes".

Now I'm not that up on modern race cars but I've never come across a serious purpose built race car with a servo as it takes away a lot of the pedal feel.

If they really do use a servo then perhaps getting it dialled in just right could be an advantage?
Old 13 May 2017, 09:34 (Ref:3733153)   #266
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
I found this article a bit odd - https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/m...c-type-r-racer - as it talks about the Honda having "well servoed brakes".

Now I'm not that up on modern race cars but I've never come across a serious purpose built race car with a servo as it takes away a lot of the pedal feel.

If they really do use a servo then perhaps getting it dialled in just right could be an advantage?
I suspect this "journolist " may be off beam there....