Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 28 Feb 2018, 12:12 (Ref:3804555)   #2851
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
Well that certainly goes even further to back up that the cars are not new...

'for the 2018 season, we have completely re-worked the Focus'

Whilst he portrays the message as clarifying a couple of points and drawing the line under things, I get the feeling that this is a little bit of getting the first blow in before Mat says anything publicly.

If matters are best kept behind closed doors, then silence would have been better surely? Instead, he takes a pop at Mat's integrity and loyalty.

Also, you have to wonder why they waited a number of weeks before terminating the contract - was it because there were no longer any viable drives left elsewhere?
Old 28 Feb 2018, 12:16 (Ref:3804557)   #2852
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[QUOTE=crmalcolm;3804555]Well that certainly goes even further to back up that the cars are not new...

Whilst he portrays the message as clarifying a couple of points and drawing the line under things, I get the feeling that this is a little bit of getting the first blow in before Mat says anything publicly.

If matters are best kept behind closed doors, then silence would have been better surely? Instead, he takes a pop at Mat's integrity and loyalty.

Also, you have to wonder why they waited a number of weeks before terminating the contract - was it because there were no longer any viable drives left elsewhere?[/QUOT

I bet you think the CIA killed JFK and blew up the twin towers
Old 28 Feb 2018, 12:22 (Ref:3804559)   #2853
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post

I bet you think the CIA killed JFK and blew up the twin towers

Not quite sure what those incidents have to do with the BTCC 2018 season???
Old 28 Feb 2018, 12:28 (Ref:3804561)   #2854
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I get the feeling that this is a little bit of getting the first blow in before Mat says anything publicly.
I’d be inclined to agree here, although it depends on what happened. If Mat feels that he’s messed up big time, he might not say a word!
Old 28 Feb 2018, 12:32 (Ref:3804562)   #2855
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sometimes its better to say nothing, but the message from Bartrum was quite a scathing attack on Mat which is almost begging for a reaction.

But Mat doesnt really say much about anything anyway to be fair.
With Mat not being interested in the last remaining AMD drive, it strikes me he will just be the bigger man and walk away from the series rather than get involved in this spat
Old 28 Feb 2018, 12:35 (Ref:3804563)   #2856
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
I’d be inclined to agree here, although it depends on what happened. If Mat feels that he’s messed up big time, he might not say a word!
So far, I've only seen one comment from Mat - "On Wednesday this week, my contract to drive the Motorbase Performance car was terminated.
"Unfortunately, this is quite late in the day [in terms of preparing for the season] and therefore I might be a spectator this year.".
Old 28 Feb 2018, 12:44 (Ref:3804565)   #2857
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Looks like Tordoff is completing the duties for testing the 3rd car so far...

Old 28 Feb 2018, 12:55 (Ref:3804567)   #2858
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
So far, I've only seen one comment from Mat - "On Wednesday this week, my contract to drive the Motorbase Performance car was terminated.
"Unfortunately, this is quite late in the day [in terms of preparing for the season] and therefore I might be a spectator this year.".
It cant have been a surprise if it was ongoing for weeks as implied.
We also know despite being the so called lead driver for the team over the past few years he was missing from any media releases, twitter comments etc so he will have known since at least the start of February this was on the cards.

If it was a complete surprise he was incredibly naive not having a further back up plan if a Honda move fell through or has been sitting on something all along.

If he had any intention of staying at Motorbase surely he would have scurried back tail between his legs offering to drive slowly for mister Chilton at all times etc. rather than a continued fall out

Shaun at AMD made a comment a few days back about not knowing WHERE Mat will be racing https://twitter.com/AmDessex/status/966671099160354817 which suggests to me he wont be racing in the BTCC but probably more likely WTCR. If he was staying in BTCC it would be with AMD, it was a very strange response to the comment before i thought

Last edited by btccbloke; 28 Feb 2018 at 13:03.
Old 28 Feb 2018, 13:32 (Ref:3804572)   #2859
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Shaun has also said ‘you can lead a horse to water...’ when someone asked him about Mat in an MG.

That only leaves the BMR seat as a possibility.
Old 28 Feb 2018, 13:59 (Ref:3804577)   #2860
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
Shaun has also said ‘you can lead a horse to water...’ when someone asked him about Mat in an MG.

That only leaves the BMR seat as a possibility.
strikes me Shaun contacted Mat, offered the drive and Mats response was along the lines of "I dunno I might be doing something else now", and that's the last he heard about it

As for BMR, I said before, Plato wont want 2 drivers beating him in the car he keeps telling us was his vision, though I'm not sure why they don't just announce James Cole already, hes too anonymous for anyone to really care so not something they will be able to make a big deal out of
Old 28 Feb 2018, 14:05 (Ref:3804578)   #2861
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well that certainly goes even further to back up that the cars are not new...

When the cars were unveiled at ASI, it was announced by DB and Mountune, that the cars were reworked.
Old 28 Feb 2018, 14:25 (Ref:3804586)   #2862
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
When the cars were unveiled at ASI, it was announced by DB and Mountune, that the cars were reworked.
They've also claimed:

“The car’s looking fantastic,” said Bartrum. “It really is all-new”.

The only genuine all-new car for 2018 is the Civic AFAIK.
Old 28 Feb 2018, 14:44 (Ref:3804589)   #2863
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Alfa.
Old 28 Feb 2018, 14:47 (Ref:3804590)   #2864
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They've also claimed:

“The car’s looking fantastic,” said Bartrum. “It really is all-new”.

The Alfa is new, plus one team is going to be running s new chassis. So it will be a new car, just a current model we already have on the grid.
Old 28 Feb 2018, 14:53 (Ref:3804591)   #2865
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Parker?
Old 28 Feb 2018, 15:02 (Ref:3804596)   #2866
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
Alfa.
Aren't some of the parts in the Alfa reused from another NGTC car? And hence, not entirely all-new?
Old 28 Feb 2018, 15:49 (Ref:3804604)   #2867
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Love the look of the new Honda, hopefully it'll look as good in Halfords colours
It's being reported that the livery will be revealed ahead of Media Day, and on the 22nd March.

'the Halfords Yuasa Racing team in a raw-looking form – the official 2018 livery won’t be unveiled until March 22'
Old 28 Feb 2018, 16:33 (Ref:3804617)   #2868
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I feel like Barty just needed to get something off his chest, as everyone has been speculating why he got rid of Mat. Hopefully can find a drive, if not in the BTCC, then certainly a series worthy of his talent
Old 28 Feb 2018, 16:51 (Ref:3804620)   #2869
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I feel like Barty just needed to get something off his chest, as everyone has been speculating why he got rid of Mat. Hopefully can find a drive, if not in the BTCC, then certainly a series worthy of his talent
I agree, as he says he just wanted to put matters straight, but as always, it's a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't, there will always be dissenters and conspiracy theorists on forums...
Old 28 Feb 2018, 16:58 (Ref:3804622)   #2870
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Aren't some of the parts in the Alfa reused from another NGTC car? And hence, not entirely all-new?
You really are the master of splitting hairs....

Good post from Bartrum, it clears up some unnecessary speculation that would take the shine off the new driver who is still to be announced.
Old 28 Feb 2018, 17:26 (Ref:3804631)   #2871
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post

Good post from Bartrum, it clears up some unnecessary speculation that would take the shine off the new driver who is still to be announced.
Whilst we are in the separating rabbits situation, can I also point out that Motorbase referred to the 2018 Focus RS being heavily revised when launched at Autosports in January...
Old 28 Feb 2018, 18:06 (Ref:3804634)   #2872
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
It's like the common misnomer "New and improved": if it's improved it has, by definition, existed previously and is therefore not new.

I'm just wanting to see some racing, bored stiff of silly season now!
Old 28 Feb 2018, 18:12 (Ref:3804636)   #2873
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
we are getting a bit hung up on this now, if i bought a second hand car id say to a mate "do you want to see my new car" its a figure of speech.

We kind of know what cars are being run now so if the Focus is brand new, slightly used, part worn or fit for spares doesnt really matter
Old 28 Feb 2018, 18:47 (Ref:3804657)   #2874
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
It's all about attention to detail.

I like to know about the technical details behind a car, and would like to be aware of accurate facts when considering the difference between:
TD having an entirely new car,
HMS having a partially new car,
Motorbase having a remodelled car.

That way, when comparing their relative progress, we're not trying to judge them as being in comparative situations.
Old 28 Feb 2018, 18:51 (Ref:3804659)   #2875
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Who says TD is entirely new? The suspension off of Matts 2017 car could be headed for the second of the new cars. So newish car! 😜