Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 22 Jul 2005, 12:05 (Ref:1360762)   #1
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Single-seater formulae - what are they all?

How do all!

I'm just in the middle of doing some research, by way of diverting myself from real work, about the route that drivers take on their way to F1, and my efforts so far have revealed that there are an awful lot of junior single-seaters categories out there that current F1 drivers have driven in, and yet very little information about the serieses themselves, the differences between them, and how they sort of relate to each other.

This is made especially difficult by them seeming to change their names on a regular basis.

Is anyone aware of a website that succinctly explains all the different single-seater serieses used across the world? It can't be too much to ask, surely!

I mean, am I right in thinking that Formula BMW, Formula Vauxhall/Opel and Skip Barber Formula Dodge can all be thought of as the same level of racing - i.e. they are all entry-level, single-make, slicks and wings series?

But what is Formula Asia? Is it a precursor to FBMW Asia, and hence another entry-level, single-make, slicks and wings series?

Is Formula Nissan 2000 the same as World Series by Nissan, and can you assume that World Series by Renault (also known as Formula Renault 3.5) is pretty much the same level?

Is Formula Holden the same as F4000, and is it the same kind of level as F2/F3000/GP2?

Doesn't anybody regulate all these serieses?
Old 22 Jul 2005, 12:12 (Ref:1360766)   #2
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would say this:

Entry Level; FBMW, FFord, Formula Dodge
Next Level: Formula Renalt, World Series Lights (does it still exist, maybe not)
Again higher: WSBR Frenault 3.5l, F3
Below F1: GP2
F1:F1

Probalbly a bit too concise, can't really comment on Fholded/F4000 as I know nothing about them
Old 22 Jul 2005, 12:31 (Ref:1360783)   #3
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.speedsportmag.de/motorspo...php?sprache=en
Old 22 Jul 2005, 12:35 (Ref:1360785)   #4
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A better way of putting it Russfeld
Old 22 Jul 2005, 12:45 (Ref:1360791)   #5
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheers, Russ. That very page has already been the basis for much of my research, but it's a bit Euro/American centric, and doesn't have much on the Asian series. And while it's really useful in terms of a good approximation of the "career path", it has nothing about what makes the series different from each other.

I would say, however, that speedsportmag.de as a whole is a fantastic resource for racing information & stats - probably the best on the net IMO, and I speak as an anorak.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 13:46 (Ref:1360824)   #6
Fan
Veteran

Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I raced in Formula Asia during the late 90's. It was similar to Formula Vauxhall/Opel.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 13:55 (Ref:1360830)   #7
emjaya
Racer

Aland Islands
in a house
emjaya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here might help
Old 22 Jul 2005, 13:56 (Ref:1360831)   #8
JJ Jet Plane
Racer

JJ Jet Plane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula Asia was more the precursor to Asian Formula Renault – one-make, slicks-and-wings cars produced by Argo (which at the time was owned by David Sears). Narain Karthikeyan, Alex Yoong and Ananda Mikola all came through it. Piers Hunnisett was successful there in the early years too and ended up managing Narain and Ananda.

Formula 4000 is the renamed Formula Holden. But it's more an equivalent of BOSS Formula – very old cars (mainly Reynard F3000s) with Holden engines. Even Will Power's dad seems to be making up the numbers this year!

Regarding Formula Vauxhall/Opel – that was 2-litre and always a bit ahead of Formula Renault powerwise and lap-time wise so unfair to compare it with Formula BMW or Formula Dodge. These cars were not much slower than F3. Vauxhall did have an entry-level category in the UK only (Vauxhall Junior), with 1600cc engines, slicks but no wings, and this confusingly became known as Formula Vauxhall when Vauxhall stopped supporting the 2-litre class, which had originally been known as Vauxhall Lotus/Opel Lotus/GM Lotus/Chevrolet Lotus – depending on where in the world they were racing! Confused? You will be…
Old 22 Jul 2005, 14:26 (Ref:1360852)   #9
ianpearson
Racer

ianpearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=JJ Jet Plane]Regarding Formula Vauxhall/Opel – that was 2-litre and always a bit ahead of Formula Renault powerwise and lap-time wise QUOTE]

As soon as Formula Renault went 2 litre in 1995 they set faster lap times than Formula vauxhall. initailly it was'nt by much but the cars soon evolved. You are right they do have more grunt than a formula renault but quite an agricultural chassis