Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Oct 2017, 19:39 (Ref:3776452)   #226
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I wonder where all the people who worked at Biggin Hill ended up, then? Maybe they were all employed by another of Bernie's companies, so he took them with him.
Old 25 Oct 2017, 20:01 (Ref:3776462)   #227
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what about those cringe-worthy driver introductions at Austin?
Old 25 Oct 2017, 20:31 (Ref:3776472)   #228
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hopefully we'll have the opportunity to have more of them. Perhaps for a longer time too.
Old 25 Oct 2017, 21:15 (Ref:3776482)   #229
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Hopefully we'll have the opportunity to have more of them. Perhaps for a longer time too.
😂
Old 26 Oct 2017, 06:52 (Ref:3776531)   #230
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
edit: Moved.
Old 26 Oct 2017, 10:47 (Ref:3776569)   #231
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well it fits in with the American way, so I forgive them for it this time
Old 9 Mar 2020, 13:39 (Ref:3962471)   #232
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Had to dig for a thread about F1's former boss.

Chase Carey has been talking about how F1's previous owner c**9*d on the product rather than promoting it showing its good side.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...product--carey
Old 9 Mar 2020, 14:21 (Ref:3962482)   #233
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post

Chase Carey has been talking about how F1's previous owner c**9*d on the product rather than promoting it showing its good side.

Interesting.... I can't believe he said those exact words.

If he did, clearly the man known as Chairman Emeritus doesn't fit into Libbo's plans anymore
Old 9 Mar 2020, 20:35 (Ref:3962597)   #234
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I wonder whether its a manifestation of the usual American desire to inflict what they know in their own country on the rest of the world and then to expect the rest of the world to express their amazement at how good it is.I might be in a minority, but I think Bernie did a solid job for a long time.He also made a lot of people wealthy while accumulating quite a chunk of cash for himself.Remind me how Liberty have improved things?
Old 10 Mar 2020, 00:39 (Ref:3962640)   #235
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
I wonder whether its a manifestation of the usual American desire to inflict what they know in their own country on the rest of the world and then to expect the rest of the world to express their amazement at how good it is.I might be in a minority, but I think Bernie did a solid job for a long time.He also made a lot of people wealthy while accumulating quite a chunk of cash for himself.Remind me how Liberty have improved things?
Certainly his dream of running races with no spectators has come true, although not in the way he intended.
Old 10 Mar 2020, 01:01 (Ref:3962642)   #236
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
Yup, cause never has F1 had the ratings, the teams, the income and the stability as the current rules and payment package.
Old 10 Mar 2020, 07:04 (Ref:3962653)   #237
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post

I'd take Bernie's word over Mr Carey's as an enthusiast, a marketer and businessman any day. Time Carey and company did something instead of just paying lip service to everything. Liberty have added less than nothing so far!
Old 10 Mar 2020, 08:03 (Ref:3962661)   #238
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
A lot of hate for BE and comments on "fixing his mistakes" including from people with loads of opinions on the sport and proudly admits he hasnt watched it in 50 years. Well I have opinions on the FA cup and i have never watched a game in my life. I think if you havent watched it for years your opinion is as informed as mine on football (smaller goal .. or maybe bigger...)

Or i dont believe in climate change on this flat earth even tho i have never learned about it. Seems to be the modern way. Every one is an expert, except the experts.

I have been watching since the early 80s, and these last few years I have been more of a fan than ever (tho the cars are plug ugly these days)
And it has grown from a minor sport outside the petrol heads, to a major event in each country with great live tv coverage of every session and now online. Someone must have made this happen.

My question to all the critics is, what are the actual mistakes or sins that BE made?
Not just "he ruined it, he made it a business" (like football, olympics or any other top line sport isnt) be specific. I want "1n the year xxxx he did this which meant that happened (or didnt). what are the charges laid at his feet?

disclaimer, im not a BE fan or hater, just a racing lover.
Old 10 Mar 2020, 09:50 (Ref:3962705)   #239
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I believe Ron Dennis is not alone in thinking that BE stole F1 from the teams. Many believe he sold what was not his to sell.
Old 10 Mar 2020, 11:29 (Ref:3962728)   #240
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrumpet View Post
I believe Ron Dennis is not alone in thinking that BE stole F1 from the teams. Many believe he sold what was not his to sell.
Didn't somebody say he was rumoured to be good at that from his earliest days in business, and that was what qualified him to run F1?
Old 10 Mar 2020, 12:22 (Ref:3962743)   #241
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I'd take Bernie's word over Mr Carey's as an enthusiast, a marketer and businessman any day. Time Carey and company did something instead of just paying lip service to everything. Liberty have added less than nothing so far!
CVC & Bernie did a bang up job of loading F1 with debt before selling it.
Old 10 Mar 2020, 14:05 (Ref:3962769)   #242
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
My question to all the critics is, what are the actual mistakes or sins that BE made?
Oh my! I am not going to get sucked down that rat hole. That dead horse is well beaten. In this thread as well as many others.

Richard
Old 10 Mar 2020, 14:45 (Ref:3962781)   #243
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Bernie thought too much of money in the end, which no doubt didn’t help F1 in terms of the bigger picture. It’s hard to get back to what we had before, but hopefully we can see enough changes so that it can get back on track in the long term in terms of the racing/fan side
Old 10 Mar 2020, 15:38 (Ref:3962787)   #244
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Oh my! I am not going to get sucked down that rat hole. That dead horse is well beaten. In this thread as well as many others.

Richard
haha i'm not sure can resist.

BE was great for a long time and a wonderful character. a proper promoter and no one can take that away but the last decade or so of his tenure i believe was marked with uncertainty and an unwillingness to stand up to the manus because without their names on the concorde agreement he couldnt sell F1. in the end he was an agent for a hedge fund looking to maximize its sale price.

but all in all i liked him.

i also like Liberty. a few things which i think they have got right:

- an acknowledgement of the importance of European and traditional circuits.
- a detailed plan on how to alleviate the dirty air/following problem (of course remains to be seen if it works or not)
- cost cap
- fairer distribution of funds to the teams
- better online platform including access to old races and the encouragement of more F1 themed content (netflix series in particular)
- quick adoption of 4K/UHD broadcast standards.

as someone who mainly consumes F1 via TV/internet i appreciate these things and as someone who watches a lot of other sports i support the notion of leveling the playing field.
Old 10 Mar 2020, 17:39 (Ref:3962809)   #245
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
actually going to take back those nice things i just said about FOM as i have just read about their sponsorship deal with Aramco.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...735848/?nrt=54

bad timing imo.
Old 11 Mar 2020, 09:34 (Ref:3962991)   #246
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
[

BE was great for a long time and a wonderful character. a proper promoter and no one can take that away but the last decade or so of his tenure i believe was marked with uncertainty and an unwillingness to stand up to the manus because without their names on the concorde agreement he couldnt sell F1. in the end he was an agent for a hedge fund looking to maximize its sale price.

but all in all i liked him.

[/QUOTE]

This is the essence of the matter;for the last few years of his reign he was employed by CVC to effectively extract as much money as possible for their benefit.He succeeded.I seriously doubt that anybody else could have run such a complex business pretty much single handed.I hope he now has the time to enjoy the life that his prosperity should permit-while lobbing the odd hand grenade over the fence when its justified.
Old 11 Mar 2020, 14:40 (Ref:3963075)   #247
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
it really is rather remarkable that he basically ran the business side single handed. if he hadn't done it then i would have thought it couldnt be done.
Old 2 Apr 2020, 18:56 (Ref:3968291)   #248
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
beeing 89 isn't stopping Bernie it seems

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/113150...ossi-pregnant/
Old 2 Apr 2020, 19:18 (Ref:3968297)   #249
S griffin
Veteran

Bernie’s daughter is old enough to be the mother of his daughters from his second marriage who are old to be the mothers of this child from his current marriage...
Old 2 Apr 2020, 19:24 (Ref:3968299)   #250
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Bernie’s daughter is old enough to be the mother of his daughters from his second marriage who are old to be the mothers of this child from his current marriage...

His oldest daughter is 21 years older than his current wife