Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Nov 2010, 14:09 (Ref:2788096)   #1
frostie
Ten-Tenths Photo Of The Year Winner 2013
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk
frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!
Round 19: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Taken from my website
---------------------------------------------

Will it be Fernando Alonso, Mark Webber, Sebastian Vettel or Lewis Hamilton crowned world champion this weekend at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
Each driver has lost points during the year and each can pinpoint races where if things had gone slightly differently they could have won the title before now. All that is irrelevant though and this weekend Formula 1 witnesses a four way shootout for the world championship.

The maths of a dramatic title fight

With Red Bull boss Dietrich Mateschitz stating once more that the team will “Let the two drivers race and what will be will be. if Alonso wins we will have been unlucky. I predict a Hollywood ending. Worst case scenario we don’t become champion? We’ll do it next year. But our philosophy stays the same because this is sport and it must remain sport. We don’t manipulate things like Ferrari do.”

This approach, while admirable, is sure to cause tension in Abu Dhabi. The title fight is exceptionally close and Red Bull is courting disaster by not imposing orders upon their drivers. Their car has been the fastest throughout the year yet they come to the final race of the season trailing Alonso in the title fight. A variety of mistakes from the team, drivers and reliability issues have hampered the Milton Keyes based teams efforts but their refusal to impose orders could make winning the title much more difficult.

There are still four drivers in contention for the title and here is some of the possible title clinching scenarios for each driver.

Fernando Alonso is well placed to take a third title. Coming into this race he enjoys an eight point lead and the Spaniard can guarantee the championship by finishing first or second. In doing so the results of Webber, Vettel and Hamilton are immaterial. In fact he can finish as low as fourth and still win the title providing Webber does not win the race.

Webber can take the title with a victory if Alonso finishes third or lower. His teammate Vettel, 15 points adrift, needs a victory to have a realistic chance of taking the title. If he wins the race he needs Alonso to finish fifth or lower to become champion. This scenario would see Vettel, Alonso and Webber all equal on points but Vettel would win on the count-back of results. Webber would be removed from contention immediately due to having four wins to the five of Vettel and Alonso. Amazingly the title would be decided by Vettel having one more fourth place finish than Alonso.

It is when count-backs come into consideration that the issues from Red Bull’s publically stated stance on team orders will become clear. One possible situation that could cause the team strife would be if Alonso retires from the race and the Red Bull drivers are leading. Both drivers would know that to become champion they would need to beat the other.

With Vettel leading the race he would be crowned champion due to having one race win more than Webber. With nothing to lose and everything to gain the stance of Red Bull management could cost them the title. With no orders from the pit wall both drivers would drive as hard as they could and if Webber saw a chance for taking the lead he would have to grasp it with both hands.

Vettel would also be in a position where he was forced into defending the position as vigorously as possible and while neither would be willing to give the other an inch. With both drivers in a position where compromising is not an option a collision could occur and the team could end their season without the drivers’ title.

Lewis Hamilton is the last contender but the 2008 champion knows that his hopes are all but over. He is 24 points off the lead and needs to win with the three drivers ahead of him to fail to score to take his second title.

The Yas Marina Circuit

The Yas Marina Circuit measures 3.45 miles and has 21 corners. The pitlane if one of the most interesting ever seen in Formula 1 with the exit taking drivers under ground, at unlimited speed, before feeding back into turn three. Drivers then come down the hill into the turn five and six chicane which sees drivers braking from 190 mph. Out of six one of the first overtaking opportunities is at the slow turn seven. Drivers will need a willing partner to make the move but do not be surprised to see the likes of Kobayashi trying a move through here. Last season the Japanese rookie made a series of daring moves en route to a top six finish. This opening series of corners could play into the hands of Ferrari and Fernando Alonso.

From turn seven drivers travel down the long back straight where the racing line is funnelled into a slow speed hairpin which then leads into the long turn ten before the circuit tightens up once more. With low grip drivers will be scrambling to get the power down through a series of slow speed corners before the fast turn 15 and 16 where the Red Bull drivers should be able to stretch their legs before the final twisting section of the lap.

The end of the lap was inspired by Herman Tilke’s aim to have a “Monaco in the Middle East.” With no run off drivers need to thread the eye of a needle through the tight series of 90 degree corners under the Yas Marina Hotel before the final set of corners. Turn 20 can easily catch drivers off guard; it is much slower than expected before coming into the final corner and over the line to start another lap of this incredible facility.

What happened last year?

Last season was the inaugural Abu Dhabi Grand Prix and saw Sebastian Vettel end his season in style with a victory ahead of teammate Mark Webber with Jenson Button rounding off his title winning season with third place in Brawn GP’s last race.

The race was the scene of much fanfare with the Yas Marina Circuit setting new standards in terms of facilities and presentation and with the race running in twilight conditions drivers had the challenge of adjusting from dusk to under floodlights. The weekend started with Lewis Hamilton fastest in opening practice. The former world champion continued his strong form throughout practice and into qualifying.

Hamilton took by 0.667s ahead of Vettel after dominating the entire session with fastest times in each part of qualifying. Hamilton’s race though was short lived with the McLaren driver retiring after just 19 laps due to brake problems. The Englishman though showed his pace with the third fastest lap of the race, less than a tenth of slower than Vettel’s fastest race lap set much latter in considerably better conditions.

During the race Hamilton led from the start ahead of Vettel, Webber and Button. Hamilton was expected to open a commanding lead during the early proceedings but the Englishman was unable to do so with Vettel, Webber and Button all able to stay in contention before Hamilton came into the pits on lap 16 for his first of two scheduled pitstops.

Vettel stayed out for two laps longer and managed to get ahead after his stop. This pitstop though was far from uneventful for the Red Bull team. Toro Rosso’s Jamie Alguersuari accidently stopped in the Red Bull pit area just seconds before Vettel was due! With this drama over Vettel set about clinching the win, and second place in the world championship.

Toyota’s Kamui Kobayashi had another eventful race and came to attention for his battle with Jenson Button after the Englishman came out from his pitstop just ahead of the Japanese rookie. Kobayashi made his move on Button after the world champion ran wide coming out of turn 8. With his single pitstop approaching Kobayashi set a series of fastest lap and was actually well placed to battle for the podium.

Kobayashi was one of the few drivers choosing to use just a single pitstop and when he rejoined the track a combination of his inexperience and the penalty of a heavy car contributed to a drop in his pace and he therefore fell behind the Brawns and Nick Heidfeld.

Button was now secure in third and he set about closing the gap to Webber in second. With six laps to go he was hot on the tails of his rival but unable to make a move before the chequered flag fell.

The race was also significant as it marked the end of 2007 world champion Kimi Raikkonen’s Formula 1 career by finishing a disappointing 12th. His Ferrari teammate Giancarlo Fisichella career also ended badly after the Italian qualified last and ending the race a lap down.

The weather for this weekend

The weather has played a key part in recent races. Whether it was qualifying being put back to Sunday in Japan, the delays in Korea or a thrilling wet qualifying in Brazil rain has played a central role in adding even more drama to the championship fight.

This weekend in Abu Dhabi the weather could once more play its part in proceedings. The BBC is forecasting showers for Friday with heavy rain expected during Saturday. The rain is expected to fall during the afternoon so should be cleared away before cars take to the circuit but whatever grip is laid down will also be washed away.

Sunday though is expected to be sunny with temperatures of over 21C.

Race Preview

As has been the case throughout the year it is difficult to see who can match the Red Bull cars in terms of raw pace. 14 pole positions has given good reason to believe that the Adrian Newey designed car will once more set the pace this weekend. This weekend it is crucial for the team to achieve a 1-2 finish, with Webber leading, to guarantee a first drivers’ championship. The fact that the team has managed only four 1-2’s this season will surely cause some sleepless nights for them; even if they decide to use jet lag as their excuse!

Fernando Alonso heads to the Middle East knowing that he has the full backing of his team. The confidence he has shown in recent weeks has been a direct contrast to what has been seen at Red Bull with Mark Webber showing in Korea that the pressure is clearly immense for the contenders. Alonso’s experience of the white hot pressure of a title fight will place the Spaniard at a great advantage. The advantage is not so much when he is in the car and driving but rather when he is walking through the paddock and in interviews. He knows what it takes to be a champion, the Red Bull drivers do not.

While it should be expected for Red Bull to have the fastest car the layout of this circuit is quite balanced and could see Ferrari closely matched. The Prancing Horse has been a worthy match for the RB6 this year and the team are surely confident that with numerous long, high speed straights that the top speed weakness of the Red Bull can be exploited.

McLaren should not be discounted either. The team dominated practice and qualifying last season before a brake problem robbed Hamilton of race day pace, and ultimately caused his retirement. The Englishman loved the circuit last season and a repeat performance cannot be discounted this weekend. Jenson Button also enjoyed last year and showed great pace towards the end of the race as he closed on Webber for second, it would be foolish to write the team off entirely even if they have struggled for pace in recent races.

While the fight at the front will once more dominate proceedings the battle for sixth in the constructors’ championship will also be decided. Williams stole a march on Force India last time out and now holds a single point advantage heading to Abu Dhabi. While the fight for the drivers’ championship steals the attention of fans the battle for the lower positions in the constructors’ championship is worth millions to the teams for next year’s budgets. This money comes in the form of TV revenues and could make a massive difference to the fortunes of each team next season.

On a dark desert highway this weekend the title will be decided, it will be heaven for one and hell the rest. Will it be Fernando Alonso, Mark Webber, Sebastian Vettel or Lewis Hamilton.....

BBC Schedule
Friday 12 November
Practice one: 0855-1035, BBC Red Button/
Practice two: 1255-1435, BBC Red Button
Saturday 13 November
Practice three: 0955-1035, BBC Red Button
Qualifying: 1215-1420, BBC One
Sunday 14 November
Race: 1210-1515, BBC One
YearDriverTeam
2009Sebastian VettelRed Bull
Old 10 Nov 2010, 14:20 (Ref:2788104)   #2
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Great introduction as always, frostie.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 10 Nov 2010, 15:20 (Ref:2788123)   #3
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great work frostie! Has anyone seen this :-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ric-track.html

The Abu Dhabi circuit despite having two very long straights, does look actually quite difficult to overtake on. At least on the evidence of last year's race. I admit whilst the setting does look striking(with the hotel) and the interesting pit lane entry and exit, but otherwise I am not that excited about it as a track.

It is going to be a Vettel/Webber/Alonso shoot out. I think Alonso is in the strongest position possibly. Although the Red Bull is still the strongest car. I do want Webber to win. He has to get pole and lead the race in my opinion to try and get the upper hand for next year. To at least say to Vettel : "I'm fast too.".

Anyway looking forward to Sunday's race. Let's hope we get some racing there.
Old 10 Nov 2010, 15:32 (Ref:2788127)   #4
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The BBC might be forecasting it to be dry at the circuit on Sunday but for Abu Dhabi as a whole, they're forecasting hail
Old 10 Nov 2010, 23:13 (Ref:2788329)   #5
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcat View Post
The Abu Dhabi circuit despite having two very long straights, does look actually quite difficult to overtake on. At least on the evidence of last year's race. I admit whilst the setting does look striking(with the hotel) and the interesting pit lane entry and exit, but otherwise I am not that excited about it as a track.
I think you're being very polite. It's a really disappointing circuit on which to stage the finale of the best championship in years if not ever. It will not excite the drivers in the same way as Interlagos did.

What I do not understand is why it could not be built to the same standard as the setting, given that the money was available. Was the area of land unsuitable or did they simply get their priorities wrong?
Old 10 Nov 2010, 23:24 (Ref:2788332)   #6
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think of Yas Marina as the Bugatti Veyron of F1 - expensive, enormous, perhaps even vulgar, but at the same time, for those very reasons, quite awesome

Let's face it, F1 isn't all about sweeping bends through green fields in the middle of the countryside. Today it's all about throwing obscene amounts of money at extremely fast and quite ugly motor cars. Which is why this is the perfect place to end the F1 season. F1 is ludicrously over the top and so is Yas Island - it fits perfectly. And the day-night transition race is a great spectacle

That's not to say I'm not glad the finale is at Interlagos next year, though
Old 11 Nov 2010, 09:59 (Ref:2788457)   #7
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think it's quite sad, to be honest, that something as atrocious as the Yas Marina circuit is considered awesome by some.
Still think of The YasHotel as nothing more than a stoners delight, showering the fans with cool lighting and meaningless extravaganza in the hope that it distracts them from the non-existent racing on the circuit.

But whatever floats your boat, I suppose.

But I'd like to know if F1 today really is all about the flash and "Ooh, shiny!", with the actual racing as a merely annoying afterthought?
Old 11 Nov 2010, 10:06 (Ref:2788460)   #8
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I really don't like the Abu Dhabi - sorry, Abbadabby - track at all. The day-night race makes it a nice-looking spectacle, and the colourful lights and shiny buildings look very impressive, but you have to be quite easily pleased to overlook the quality of the racing, which last year was pretty poor.

I think it's similar to Singapore - that all looks very nice with the backdrop of the city and the cars under lights, but this year's race just seemed to drag on interminably. These 'novelties', for want of a better word, may be good at attracting the attention of the casual viewer, but only a decent race is actually going to keep them interested.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 11 Nov 2010, 10:17 (Ref:2788467)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is a hateful way to end the season. Interlagos is way better next year, as in previous years.
Old 11 Nov 2010, 10:29 (Ref:2788475)   #10
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was one of the lucky one's to go to Abu Dhabi last year. The place takes your breath away. I think the circuit is awesome and the heat aswell is immense.

Think of it as a spectacle and not just a race.
Old 11 Nov 2010, 11:17 (Ref:2788483)   #11
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
I'd prefer less spectacle and more race.
Old 11 Nov 2010, 11:22 (Ref:2788484)   #12
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
/\ This

But... why can't we have both? I've never understood this... If we can upgrade older tracks, why not just make a new track that has those characteristics?

Selby
Old 11 Nov 2010, 11:40 (Ref:2788492)   #13
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
My money's on there being overtaking and better racing than at Silverstone this year
Old 11 Nov 2010, 13:46 (Ref:2788563)   #14
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I totally agree. The Yas Marina track is the typical modern F1 fare. Hairpins, long straights into tight corners, with a mickey mouse section thrown in, oh and the 10 acres of run off just in case a driver runs a bit wide.

The kind of tracks that I can get excited over are things like Watkins Glen, Osterreichring, Zandvoort, Brands Hatch, Oulton Park, Thruxton, Road America etc. Today's tracks are just too sterile and have all the effort channeled in the wrong place, namely VIP areas and hotels and other garbage that the fans of actual "racing" care little about.
Old 11 Nov 2010, 14:32 (Ref:2788579)   #15
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
jab, you're spot on, mate. I'm not just saying 'all old tracks produce good racing', but at least they flex the cars and drivers a little more than some of these 'point and squirt' tracks.

I have to say, even Silverstone 2009 was a dull race, and I was there.

Just had a little look at the track layout and began experimenting with various layouts. The first section could be made much more exciting:

(ignore the crudeness of my little sketch)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Compared to...:

Stick in the added curves after T2, bypass the chicane before the hairpin and you have quite an adverturous first sector. The second sector then becomes the long straights/hairpin combo we've all grown to know and love (...). Then the final sector is very Korea-esque. Lots of medium speed turns in a row.

It'd atleast just mix it up a little.

I understand why they have the chicane before the hairpin on sector one - obviously to scrub the speed off before the hairpin, which, doesn't actually have a huge run-off. But by adding the 2 extra sweeps after T2, I believe it may scrub off enough speed before the hairpin. I'm sure someone brighter than me could do the maths for that...

Selby

Last edited by ECW Dan Selby; 11 Nov 2010 at 14:48.
Old 11 Nov 2010, 16:40 (Ref:2788657)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Awful track. Anyway, that's the end of the season, bring it on !
Old 11 Nov 2010, 21:24 (Ref:2788816)   #17
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was really hoping the WDC would be decided at Interlagos and that Abu-Dhabi Gulf State GP would just be an after thought like last year but not this time, unfortunately.
Old 11 Nov 2010, 22:44 (Ref:2788855)   #18
manwell
Racer

manwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could i be the first to say that i would have no qualms about Webber winning the title by vitrue of Vettel letting him past.
Im sure all the Webber bashers will say that he only won because Vettel gave the win to him.
But from my point of view, Vettel owes him 10 points anyway due to the difference between First (where Webber was) and Third (where Webber ended up) in Turkey where Vettel punted Webber off.
Old 12 Nov 2010, 01:23 (Ref:2788918)   #19
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwell View Post
Could i be the first to say that i would have no qualms about Webber winning the title by vitrue of Vettel letting him past.
Im sure all the Webber bashers will say that he only won because Vettel gave the win to him.
But from my point of view, Vettel owes him 10 points anyway due to the difference between First (where Webber was) and Third (where Webber ended up) in Turkey where Vettel punted Webber off.
Very good point. Bring it on!
Old 12 Nov 2010, 01:54 (Ref:2788930)   #20
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
On the other hand Webber hardly made the pass easier and stated (iirc) he deliberately kept Vettel offline so he (Mark) had a better chance of holding his position into the next bend. Despite the fact Vettel was a lot quicker at the time having been conserving fuel behind Mark.

And Mark now expects help from Seb to give him an easy pass? I completely understand Seb's reluctance to not yield to Mark until the final corner, wn he will be able to judge his own WDC prospects from Alonso's position at that time. What is good for one is good for the other.

Go Seb!
Old 12 Nov 2010, 09:32 (Ref:2789020)   #21
Tin top racer
Rookie

Tin top racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
On the other hand Webber hardly made the pass easier and stated (iirc) he deliberately kept Vettel offline so he (Mark) had a better chance of holding his position into the next bend. Despite the fact Vettel was a lot quicker at the time having been conserving fuel behind Mark.

And Mark now expects help from Seb to give him an easy pass? I completely understand Seb's reluctance to not yield to Mark until the final corner, wn he will be able to judge his own WDC prospects from Alonso's position at that time. What is good for one is good for the other.

Go Seb!
Sorry they were racing, do you really expect Webber to make it easy for him, he's not going to move himself offline to let Vettel past!? Webber acted well within the rules, Vettel for some reason known only to himself turned in on him far too early, trying to bully Webber. In much the same way he then went through a phase of turning across people off the start line from pole positon instead of actually worrying about his own start.
Old 12 Nov 2010, 09:43 (Ref:2789026)   #22
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I just hope someone bins it in the tunnel this year. I felt short-changed last year. If I were in charge of McLaren I'd get Button to pit just ahead of Alonso, Vettel and Webber and crash, blocking the tunnel so they can't get out.

Mwah-hah-ha.
Old 12 Nov 2010, 09:49 (Ref:2789027)   #23
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I just hope someone bins it in the tunnel this year. I felt short-changed last year. If I were in charge of McLaren I'd get Button to pit just ahead of Alonso, Vettel and Webber and crash, blocking the tunnel so they can't get out.

Mwah-hah-ha.
Yup. That would be my plan. In all seriousness.

I'm guessing they would need to red flag the race if the pit exit was completely blocked and could not be unblocked easily.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 12 Nov 2010, 10:34 (Ref:2789041)   #24
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwell View Post
It would be a disappointing way to see the title decided, though. I know that if Alonso wins by 7 points or less people will denounce it as being all down to Hockenheim, but he still had to go and drive out of his skin for the rest of the season, and he didn't have help to win all those other races. If Vettel lets Webber through, it would very likely be late in the race, possibly even the last lap, and it would just be such an anti-climax for the viewer.
Old 12 Nov 2010, 12:25 (Ref:2789096)   #25
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Seems there is a fair bit of 'let's hope Alonso takes it' rather than 'let's hope Ferrari takes it' and not much for Red Bull! I might be getting a completely wayward sense of monentum there though...

The best thing for this weekend is if Webber goes out gets pole and then blats Vettel into into 2nd in the so they don't even have to worry about who's got to let whom past etc.

I've just got this niggling suspicion that Alonso's engine's gonna let go.......

Tags
formula 1