Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Nov 2017, 20:23 (Ref:3782255)   #51
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Marketability is a good point, although Mercedes doesn't seem to care about that. They made that really weird choice to try and make Lewis win the race rather than the title late last year, despite it making them look a bit odd. You're absolutely spot on that DR is more marketable, but that doesn't seem to be a Mercedes thing (ironically it's more of an RBR thing...!). No idea why that would be, tbh.

DR is probably a better driver than Bottas. Certainly more aggressive. But do Mercedes want more drama when they're winning both titles anyway? I'm not so sure. I think they prefer headlines like "Mercedes wins both titles" than "Mercedes drivers feuding". From a cold marketing view, I can see why they'd be happy with Bottas being second best.

DR has another year at RBR, right? So he has time to recover this Verstappen situation and solve it anyway.
I think the difference between RBR and MB marketing is the focus of their message.

MB is about the car - because that is their business.
RBR is about the person - because they want people to buy into the lifestyle.

Personalty and charisma are behind the Red Bull message, as shown by the number of Red Bull 'athletes' they back in various sports. In a strange way, Hamilton is a bad fit for Mercedes - so it only goes to show how much they value his performances on track that they will overlook his lack of 'corporate sensibility'.
Old 22 Nov 2017, 20:27 (Ref:3782256)   #52
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
But do Mercedes want more drama when they're winning both titles anyway?
difficult question.

while Merc (or at least Lauda) seemed massively gutted when Nico announced his retirement, i suspect that on the inside they must have felt like they dodged a bullet in form of how potentially difficult the 2017 LH vs NR pairing could have been.

so im not sure if Merc want the drama that comes with 2 drivers both looking to win the title at the same time. in the past they put up with it but after 2016 they may have had enough of it.

but that was then and now they have a serious challenge coming from Ferrari....and i suppose as long as Ferrari retain Kimi then its suits Merc fine to have a clear 1 and 2 as do their adversary.

but yeah, one more year for DR and one more year for VB to step up his game and for sure one if not both will be moving teams imo. fun times ahead!
Old 22 Nov 2017, 20:49 (Ref:3782261)   #53
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
...In a strange way, Hamilton is a bad fit for Mercedes - so it only goes to show how much they value his performances on track that they will overlook his lack of 'corporate sensibility'.
is he though?

seems to me that LH is selling a lifestyle ideally suited to peddle cars to both demographics which Merc currently covet...younger demo looking to lease or buy (but probably lease) an 'affordable' entry level car like their A-Class as well as being able to target the young jet set type who can afford to buy (or their parents can afford to buy them) their multi million dollar Project One supercars.

but as this thread is about DR, i think these are also demos where DR would also succeed at reaching...no doubt in part because of the exposure and persona he has attained via his RB association.

but all that said...who really knows if drivers really have that much effect on car sales anyways.
Old 22 Nov 2017, 20:58 (Ref:3782264)   #54
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
seems to me that LH is selling a lifestyle ideally suited to peddle cars to both demographics which Merc currently covet...younger demo looking to lease or buy (but probably lease) an 'affordable' entry level car like their A-Class as well as being able to target the young jet set type who can afford to buy (or their parents can afford to buy them) their multi million dollar Project One supercars.
Possibly, so in a little experiment I am going to make a blind visit to both Mercedes website and the AMG F1 website straight after posting this.
Afterwards, will post the the results to see if DR appears to fit in with the current 'messages'.
Old 22 Nov 2017, 21:06 (Ref:3782265)   #55
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
And the results are in....

The main messages on the Mercedes Website are the GLA, GLC and a 4Matic promotion.
GLA would appear to be the closest fit to an F1 audience (if connected to 'flamboyant' or 'charismatic' drivers). A closer look at the GLA makes a passing reference to a 'motorsport-style' cluster so a tenuous link to F1 and the driver(s). No fit for DR here in a marketing sense.

The main messages on the F1 site are a celebration of results this season, and promotion of an app. Alongside this, there is an insight into the workings of a pit stop. Again, nothing that relates to driver's style of charisma, opposed to just recognising on-track results.

What does this show? Well in a highly unscientific test - there appears to be nothing gained from MB in signing DR if they maintain their current stance in the marketing sphere.
Old 22 Nov 2017, 21:46 (Ref:3782271)   #56
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
well at least we agree that it was unscientific!

but yeah probably not any over riding reason to Merc's benefit to sign DR. as Akrapovic said, wining titles without drama is far more important to them.

but as a fan of the sport, i think it would be a far more inspired and interesting pairing then their current line up so im still going to root for that change.

no disrespect to VB but i saw that this year and, imo, it left me wanting to see something else.
Old 22 Nov 2017, 22:08 (Ref:3782277)   #57
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ricciardo or Bottas? I suspect Merc will sign Ocon
Old 22 Nov 2017, 22:13 (Ref:3782279)   #58
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
well at least we agree that it was unscientific!
Being too scientific leads to 4 successive WCCs and WSCs, something which is clearly bad for the sport as it draws no end of criticism.

So I'm rooting for a non-scientific approach where drivers are paired to cause confrontation, and results are unpredictable. And that means Mercedes must sign DR.

But remember, that approach will then see him in a car that won't be as reliable, Renault will start winning titles and everyone will say that if Ricciardo was there he'd destroy their existing drivers!

Unless - Daniel has something else to offer Mercedes that differs from just on-track results?
Old 23 Nov 2017, 00:45 (Ref:3782306)   #59
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
DR beat Vettel in "his" team, Hamilton and Vettel are essentially equal...

DR shouldn't be worried about going up against Lewis in a Merc
Old 23 Nov 2017, 13:30 (Ref:3782425)   #60
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The thing is Lewis is now in his 30s. So Mercedes maybe need another top driver for the future
Old 23 Nov 2017, 15:52 (Ref:3782438)   #61
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Unless - Daniel has something else to offer Mercedes that differs from just on-track results?
The PR of employing someone with actual emotions? Someone that's actually fun to be around?
Because I look at Mercedes employees and to me it seems like they've all been lobotomized to remove their sense of humor and/or personality...
Either that or they're pretending too hard to be savvy and cool, but instead makes them look like Stephen Harper desperately trying to act like a human being.
Old 23 Nov 2017, 15:57 (Ref:3782439)   #62
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
The PR of employing someone with actual emotions? Someone that's actually fun to be around?
Because I look at Mercedes employees and to me it seems like they've all been lobotomized to remove their sense of humor and/or personality...
Either that or they're pretending too hard to be savvy and cool, but instead makes them look like Stephen Harper desperately trying to act like a human being.
#

Or, you know, they could just be professionals at the peak of their industry.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 23 Nov 2017, 16:07 (Ref:3782440)   #63
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Now THAT is a long shot.
Old 23 Nov 2017, 16:13 (Ref:3782442)   #64
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
i suppose marketability would be a reason.
i actually think DR is a much better and far more aggressive driver (more of a winners instinct if you will) then Bottas...but for arguments sake lets say DR and VB are equal in ability and both seem like good guys so team harmony with LH would remain intact, then surely a global brand like Merc should go with the driver they think will help them sell more cars.
Bottas beat Danny Ricc in an epic Renault Eurocup title race in 2008, was it?

They were the class of the field which included a lot of future talent..

In F3 their results appear to have been similar.

Ricciardo has a real killer instinct when it comes to overtaking, something quite akin to Montoya in that respect (who I maintain was THE overtaker of the modern era) but Bottas has shown a steely determination and ability to quickly pull a gap off the start on cold tyres (see Sochi and A1 Ring).

It would actually be very interesting to see these 2 paired in a team, let alone against Hamilton!
Old 24 Nov 2017, 13:38 (Ref:3782626)   #65
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I just want to say that the idea of the Honey Badger and Bottas in the same team is not a bad thing to happen to them