Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 12 Dec 2010, 13:53 (Ref:2803284)   #1
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Club America

Another new track from me - this is meant to be a track in America that's a big club track - imaginatively called "Club America". It has 12 corners (more if you start counting the bits of the chicane separately) and is around 4.4 km long. As usual for the tracks I design, it goes clockwise.

I haven't thought much about elevation with this one - the brown-ish bits you see surrounding the track are meant to be fields, so I guess its in a reasonably flat area. However my next track will be far more hilly!
Attached Thumbnails
ClubtrackAmerica.png  
Old 12 Dec 2010, 13:57 (Ref:2803285)   #2
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
It's really nice.

It kind of reminds me of a British club track more than anything. If that chicane was changed to a tighter one, then it'd definitely be a British club track

It's nice and fast which is important for a club track imo. T3/4 will be the ideal overtaking spot and good for some bump and grind action.

Selby
Old 12 Dec 2010, 14:35 (Ref:2803296)   #3
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
It's really nice.

It kind of reminds me of a British club track more than anything. If that chicane was changed to a tighter one, then it'd definitely be a British club track
My first thought was of Thruxton. With having a similar blot shape.

It looks good, nice flow to it plus a couple of overtaking spots
Old 12 Dec 2010, 15:22 (Ref:2803313)   #4
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Love your track!!

Nice layout, very racy, I believe is one of the best designs I've seen lately around here! Looks very fun and challenging.

Now I know the boys at safety commission would be concerned about run off at T1, IMHO it needs to be deeper and extended towards the bridge a little bit so that it follows the race line, rather than the actual geometry of the course. This because that's quite a high speed corner, it's not even 45 degree and you approach it a over triple digit for sure, you must be ready for whatever happens there and bring space to safely come to a halt before hitting anything hard. I believe that can be easily achieved without touching your design at all.

Also T10 needs to be deeper IMHO, vehicles approach at the maximum speed attainable at the circuit, onto a hard braking zone to take the chicane, I'd like to see some more room there for an emergency, at least double of what you have.
Old 12 Dec 2010, 16:21 (Ref:2803328)   #5
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
On first sight I thought someone had suggested a development of Castle Combe, but yes it's a combination of Castle Combe, Thruxton and a number of lesser UK circuits that are for the most part based on sections of disused airfield perimeter roads.
Old 13 Dec 2010, 03:56 (Ref:2803596)   #6
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another perfect example that a track doesn't have to be complicated and look spectacular to be thoroughly enjoyable.

Plus the sparkly presentation - a really superb effort!

bio
Old 13 Dec 2010, 04:07 (Ref:2803600)   #7
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
A combination of Thruxton and Goodwood....! But its great and an easy circuit to build and set up. Great high speed action but enough places to brake and maybe pass others.

The presentation is superb.
Old 13 Dec 2010, 11:37 (Ref:2803763)   #8
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Beautifull picture of a spectacular circuit. I have an issue though with turn 12. The exit of that corner is right at the pit wall, at an akward angle as well. I suggest a solution like magny-cours. The space is available, and it will give the spectators at the grandstand a view at some last-corner overtaking as well.
Old 13 Dec 2010, 11:48 (Ref:2803768)   #9
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Alot of feedback for only a couple of days!

Looks like this place is back on track................................

*ducks*

Selby
Old 13 Dec 2010, 13:07 (Ref:2803814)   #10
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner View Post
Beautifull picture of a spectacular circuit. I have an issue though with turn 12. The exit of that corner is right at the pit wall, at an akward angle as well. I suggest a solution like magny-cours. The space is available, and it will give the spectators at the grandstand a view at some last-corner overtaking as well.
Good call. It escaped my eyes.
Old 13 Dec 2010, 17:41 (Ref:2803938)   #11
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very nice. It's one of the best tracks I've seen on here ever since I first came here. Putting the pitlane on the inside of the track will fix the runoff problem of Turn 12.
Old 13 Dec 2010, 17:59 (Ref:2803949)   #12
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
Thanks for all the feedback and praise guys! I'll try and modify the track to fix some of the things you've pointed out!
Old 14 Dec 2010, 19:35 (Ref:2804468)   #13
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
Oki-doki, so I've made a few changes. i think there's definitely still stuff that could be improved. I ended up just changing T12 and adding a T13, however I'm still not sure if its successful or not - I'm thinking runaway cars might end up in the pit-lane - or am I being too cautious?

I've added run-off here and there - more feedback would be great!

Old version is there too for comparison!
Attached Thumbnails
newtrack_redeign#1.png   Clubtrackamerica_final.png  
Old 14 Dec 2010, 20:28 (Ref:2804487)   #14
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think the pit-entry is very safe now. Although speeds are not so high exiting a hairpin, still the racing-line is almost head on to the pointy side of the pitt wall, or, maybe worse straight into the first pitboxes. The best solution would be a pitentrance al the way around the graveltrap of turn 12. I hope my attachement shines some light on my point.
Attached Thumbnails
Naamloos.png  
Old 14 Dec 2010, 21:30 (Ref:2804515)   #15
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner View Post
I don't think the pit-entry is very safe now. Although speeds are not so high exiting a hairpin, still the racing-line is almost head on to the pointy side of the pitt wall, or, maybe worse straight into the first pitboxes. The best solution would be a pitentrance al the way around the graveltrap of turn 12. I hope my attachement shines some light on my point.
Yeah that's exactly what I was worried about.

Cheers, will fix it soon!
Old 14 Dec 2010, 22:51 (Ref:2804550)   #16
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I'd do pit entry like they have it at Mid Ohio.
Old 15 Dec 2010, 01:27 (Ref:2804586)   #17
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
make that 3 people about the pit entry, imho needs to be fixed, the rest of the mods are great, I like the last turn geometry better, the run-offs are larger than life, I like it more now, please get the pit entry sorted out
Old 15 Dec 2010, 08:27 (Ref:2804628)   #18
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Here is a 3 minute edit for the pit entry. it resolves some issues.
Attached Thumbnails
newtrack_redeign#1edit.jpg  
Old 18 Dec 2010, 22:54 (Ref:2806143)   #19
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
Well here we go, another suggestion:

I've essentially lengthened the pit straight so that pit-entry leaves the main track in a far smoother and longer way, with plenty of time for drivers to move over. Thats the idea anyway, the pit entry line is still on the racing line, but with the addition of the chicane I reckon its not as dangerous.
Attached Thumbnails
newtrack_redeign#4.png  
Old 18 Dec 2010, 22:56 (Ref:2806145)   #20
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
Another suggestion is this one:

Slightly messier, with the addition of the chicane, but now the pit entry is reasonably off the line, and speeds entering it would be far slower because of the tight-ish hairpin preceding it.

The second one is basically SBF's suggestion.
Attached Thumbnails
newtrack_redeign#2.png   newtrack_redeign#1.png  

Last edited by dyewat808; 18 Dec 2010 at 23:02.
Old 18 Dec 2010, 23:12 (Ref:2806150)   #21
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 1st one of the three that you suggest could still potentially have problems with people leaving the second apex a bit wide

the 2nd one u seem to have a barrier pointing straight at the edge of the corner but i'm guessing thats just a problem with the drawing

The 3rd one would probably be the most practical solution although it requires a lot more time for the pits which isn't ideal.

but after all other real life circuits have much worse designs than these.
Old 18 Dec 2010, 23:13 (Ref:2806151)   #22
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
I'd say that I was very quickly trying to produce something more akin to post 19 of this thread only with out the chicane.
Old 18 Dec 2010, 23:28 (Ref:2806154)   #23
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
Whoops yeah I meant werner's suggestion!