Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 10 Jan 2011, 15:44 (Ref:2813777)   #26
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ell, I DO think that in Hungary F1 has achieved what no a couple of smaller ones could never have - interest in motor sports among Hungarians had an enormous boom in 1986 and following years - since F1 is here...

bio
Old 10 Jan 2011, 16:32 (Ref:2813792)   #27
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
The problem, Bio, is that in most of these "new" markets, there is such a small proportion of the population, even compared to Hungary, for whom F1 is within reach in terms of watching the race in any manner, particularly live, that that strategy just won't work. It also doesn't help that for all that apparent grandstand space, Abu Dhabi is quoted as only having 55,000 seats, which is just plain pathetic.

The countries F1 is going to now have nil for what we would can a "middle class", and Gulf states, apart from the ultra-rich, may as well be Third World countries. And don't be fooled, what's being called "middle class" in China is NOT what we consider that term to mean. From what I understand, the average income for an urban couple in China, with both individuals working, is $7,000-$8,000 annually, which means the median is probably noticeably below that. And it doesn't help them develop motorsport that the organizers charge $300-$450 a ticket for the F1 Grand Prix.

The new model of F1 is also vastly changed from 1986, when Hungary joined, with the extravagance of the facilities, and the sanction fees that make hosting a race even more untenable. Turkey, China, Singapore, and Valencia are talking about wanting out of their contracts. If Sepang doesn't come up with the updates Bernie wants, Malaysia is in jeopardy.

And about Hungary, I've heard from a number of people in 10ths that quite a large portion of the crowd at Hungary is actually from Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, and/or Poland.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 16:39 (Ref:2813794)   #28
bio
Veteran

Hungary
You're right, Purist. But IMHO interest in motorsorts IN GENERAL have increased as a result of F1 coming here.

I didn't want to "defend" all "growing markets", even the whole of Eastern-Europe, I just strongly think that in Hungary, building one F1 track did better for promoting motor sports than building a couple of smaller ones from the same money. Might not be the case anywhere else in the world, though...

Of course, the reason for creating new F1 venues is strictly money - I'm sure Bernie would not hesitate to build a track on the Antarctic or the Moon with no viewers and market if he somehow stil found it profitable
Old 10 Jan 2011, 23:48 (Ref:2813959)   #29
Duff_44
Racer

United States
Bristol, CT
Duff_44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio View Post
Of course, the reason for creating new F1 venues is strictly money - I'm sure Bernie would not hesitate to build a track on the Antarctic or the Moon with no viewers and market if he somehow stil found it profitable
That was more my point - about building venues where Bernie will get paid and not where motorsports are popular. The "Eastern Europe" I was referring to was more the new venues in Russia and a proposed race in Bulgaria. Hungary is a success and I hope it remains on the schedule.

Here's what you need for a successful track layout: Don't let Hermann Tilke design it!
Old 11 Jan 2011, 04:00 (Ref:2814012)   #30
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff_44 View Post
Here's what you need for a successful track layout: Don't let Hermann Tilke design it!
Old 11 Jan 2011, 11:04 (Ref:2814132)   #31
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojo81 View Post
...and then tell me about it!!

It would function as a race track during the night time, while the site is not being used for anything else. It would be a permanent development.

My intention is that it would operate in a similar way to the Nurburgring in Germany - being open to motor enthusiasts to practice and compete in organised events, possibly with an open workshop space for people to fix and modify their cars.
- run as a legal, profit making business.

I am looking for people who have had more experience than I have (which is very little) of any kind of racing or motorsport - to tell me what would make up your idea of a perfect race track experience or environment (on the track itself or on the sidelines).

Thank you so much for reading and I hope to hear from you soon,

Rojo
You don't say in which country your proposition is based? If it's UK or Western Europe, I think the biggest difficulty will be getting any sort of planning approval in the current 'tree hugging' climate. Even existing circuits that have been operating for generations are subject to increasing restrictions and as for operating at night - you'll be lucky.
I would suggest that designing the track and facilities are the very least of your difficulties!
Old 11 Jan 2011, 11:05 (Ref:2814133)   #32
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yeh i'd really like to see the planned patch of land

Selby
Old 11 Jan 2011, 11:06 (Ref:2814134)   #33
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quote:
That was more my point - about building venues where Bernie will get paid and not where motorsports are popular.
Hi,
I still disagree: building more tracks where there are already a lot of them versus breaking new ground - why do you think the first one makes more sense? The first one won't really spread the popularity of motor sports, the other one is much more likely to...

bio
Old 11 Jan 2011, 12:17 (Ref:2814162)   #34
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
It's all about a happy medium, isn't it?

I can't see why there isn't a Grade 1 liscenced circuit being built in places like Finland and Poland who desperately need a GP, which would almost certainly sell out each and every year.

Selby
Old 11 Jan 2011, 13:51 (Ref:2814216)   #35
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Poland is struggling by some accounts to get the infrastructure in place for the up coming Football Euros, so you'd have to ask whether there was willing and financial support to establish an F1 circuit. What is the National scene like, could it support a new most likely Tilke palace?

Finland similar question regarding the National Scene, in addition we know how difficult it is for Montreal to keep it's track surface in condition, would a Finnish circuit have the same issues.
Old 12 Jan 2011, 00:06 (Ref:2814467)   #36
Duff_44
Racer

United States
Bristol, CT
Duff_44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio View Post
Hi,
I still disagree: building more tracks where there are already a lot of them versus breaking new ground - why do you think the first one makes more sense? The first one won't really spread the popularity of motor sports, the other one is much more likely to...

bio
I think this is more my deep-seated hatred of Hermann Tilke, who seems to design every new track and have Bernie's golden leash up his butt. It just happens the new tracks are in "expanding" markets. I'm all for any new track, anywhere... as long as he doesn't design it.
Old 12 Jan 2011, 09:19 (Ref:2814578)   #37
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
I'd love to see a film of some sort (not fictional, I just mean edited footage) of the whole development process of track design. I'd like to watch the conversation Tilke has with his developers in regards to what they can do, what they can't do, and see some early versions they drew up for various circuits, and reasoning as to why they couldn't do such and such. Would be really interesting.

I still like the reality tv style idea of having 2/3 different track designs and sticking them on the F1 website for people to vote their favourite...

Selby
Old 12 Jan 2011, 09:44 (Ref:2814585)   #38
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
I still like the reality tv style idea of having 2/3 different track designs and sticking them on the F1 website for people to vote their favourite...

Selby
Surely, if you just copied Spa, that would win hands down?
Old 12 Jan 2011, 11:16 (Ref:2814617)   #39
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quote:
I think this is more my deep-seated hatred of Hermann Tilke, who seems to design every new track and have Bernie's golden leash up his butt. It just happens the new tracks are in "expanding" markets. I'm all for any new track, anywhere... as long as he doesn't design it.
Well, I certeinly won't insist on having Herr Tilke as the designer (though I don't especially hate his tracks - but I don't love them either.)

bio
Old 12 Jan 2011, 11:25 (Ref:2814621)   #40
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Yeh i'm with you there. I don't hate them, but i'd like a little more variation.

Selby