Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 6 Mar 2011, 02:23 (Ref:2840866)   #1
tlongman
Racer

United States
New Jersey
tlongman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seattle Motorsports Park (updated)

Well as many of you may know, I've always used pure pencil and paper for my track designs, of which there haven't been many for the last year or so. But I decided about a week ago to try out Sketchup and see if I could figure out how everyone here does it so well. Instead of trying to design a new track from scratch and learn a new program at the same time, I remade one of my oldies but goodies from all the way back in 2009, Seattle Motorsports Park. Here's the thread from when i originally posted this one.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116623

I really tried to get as detailed as the program and my talent allows with this one. I designed a pit complex and medical center, as well as some garages for the club members to store their cars in. It seems that that feature is becoming more and more popular among new race tracks. It's still 4.07 miles long, runs clockwise, and all the elevation is in theory the same as it was in my previous version, but I wasn't prepared to tackle that obstacle just yet so in the sketchup version it is entirely flat.

Another obstacle I faced was trying to implement a pit lane or a way of entering the paddock for he south circuit. I think I've come up with a pretty ingenious solution. When the south circuit is being used as well as the north circuit, there is a part of the track between the two that is unused, plus its just across from the paddock. So I made a system in which the cars exit by going across the track onto the exit road, and enter by merging at a the exit of the corner. All that would need to be done would be the movement of a few temporary barriers to separate the runoff areas of the 2 tracks. I know I didn't explain that very well so I included pictures of my solution in the pictures. There will be more pictures and hopefully a link to the sketchup file in the next post if I can figure out how to add it. Hope you like it!
Attached Thumbnails
SMP 1.png   SMP 2.png   SMP 3.png  

SMP 4.png   SMP 6.png   SMP 7.png  

Old 6 Mar 2011, 02:32 (Ref:2840869)   #2
tlongman
Racer

United States
New Jersey
tlongman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...more pictures

Unfortunately the sketchup file was too big to upload... Oh well!
Attached Thumbnails
SMP 5.png   SMP 11.png   SMP 9.png  

SMP 10.png   SMP 8.png  
Old 6 Mar 2011, 07:40 (Ref:2840906)   #3
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Thats a beautiful piece of work with a lot to it.
I haven't yet gone over it in detail but I like what I see.
The long circuit in particular would be a worthy track on its own.
Well done.
Old 6 Mar 2011, 08:54 (Ref:2840928)   #4
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fantastic piece of work, though I can't help but notice that the south circuit is too busy on it's own. move the link to between T15 and T6, and then open up t9 and tighten T10, as it's the obvious straight on the circuit to be the S/F for the club circuit with a separate paddock, it just needs room to be built (outside paddocks, especially there, are a no-no).

Last edited by Tathrim; 6 Mar 2011 at 09:01.
Old 7 Mar 2011, 03:16 (Ref:2841262)   #5
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can say for sure this is the best work of the year up to this point, the track is superb and the sketchup job is quite complex and realistic, I can't even imagine myself going thru those kind of details , that's outside my patience and my equipment.The logistics are very good from first sight, the circuit is a mix of geometric and organic, heavens tracks must be like this, two separate tracks are easy proposition here.

If I had to really strict , the only area of improvement is run off in some fast corners , that's the only kink in the armor but I see its easily fixable.