Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 7 Sep 2008, 04:13 (Ref:2283150)   #1
Stig
Racer

United States
New Jersey
Stig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stig's Tracks

Hello, this would be my first post. I have been designing tracks since I was a little kid, but only recently heard about this website and decided to post one of mine.

My first is called SIR (Stig International Raceway). It consists of 18 turns and runs counterclockwise. It is about 3.75 miles long. The main section of the track is at the top from turns 9 to 14. It is winding, hilly, and fast, and the goal here is to brake as little as possible.

I apologize for the slight graininess of the photo. I usually draw in pencil, but I did not anticipate how this would look on the computer. Also, sorry for the poor visibility of the corner numbers.

More to come later. Hope you like it!
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG1585.JPG  
Old 7 Sep 2008, 09:22 (Ref:2283221)   #2
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nicely done for a first attempt. One thing I would look at correcting is making 7 8 and 9 in to one corner, as a 90 left. I would also, even though this is primarily SBF's job, change the direction, to get the most out of the section similar to Ille Norte Dame. this would alo make better use of the hairpin labelled 4.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 13:03 (Ref:2283312)   #3
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Stig,
and welcome.

The pic is just fine, no need to apologise.

The tarck is awesome. Fast and slow corners, altitude changes - you got all.

The only thing I'm missing a bit is overtaking opportunities - I don't seem really good ones.

I would also loosen up the hairpin T4 just a tad bit.

Be prepared for two things:

- some will claim that the bridge at T14 would block a lot of view of some of the stands

- ScotsBrutesFan will think the track would work better clocwise

Overall a great debut!

bio
Old 7 Sep 2008, 14:29 (Ref:2283389)   #4
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome Stig. And a very nice circuit you have chossen to join us with.

Contrary to previous comments I don't think the direction needs changed at all. ( to Tathrim and Bio). Though I can see why they might say that.
Edit: My own suggestions may actually work the other way too LOL

What I would do though is to take out the last (Bus stop?) chicane T16/17/18, and make the S/F line that bit longer shifting the pits along a touch towards the final corner in doing so. At a guestimate that would put the S/F on or around 1km, (5/8 mile) making T1 into an over taking chance.

If 6/7/8 is there for land boundary or other georgraphical/topographical reasons, then ok...there are other ways of dealing with it but that one is perfectly acceptable.

Looking for a second overtaking chance, I wonder about tightening T1 a little (in conjuction with the longer straight), but shifting T2,3 &4 around a bit into the infield, this would straighten T5 a touch making a slightly reprofiled T6 an over taking position.

I think this would lift the average speed a bit too.
In the diagram, T2,3 & T4 are tracings of the original corners, simply off set.
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG1585 copy.jpg  

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 7 Sep 2008 at 14:33.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 15:03 (Ref:2283421)   #5
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Killed it SBF.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 16:12 (Ref:2283460)   #6
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by shambles
Killed it SBF.
Is that Good or Bad

And in what way?
Old 7 Sep 2008, 16:48 (Ref:2283566)   #7
Stig
Racer

United States
New Jersey
Thanks for all the comments, everyone.

To SBF - I see why tightening up the first turn would cause it to be more of an overtaking opportunity, and I think that's a great idea.

I wasn't sure what to do with the pit entrance when I put the bus stop in. I don't like the way it flows into the pits, but I do like the idea of ending the lap coming out of a hairpin and then a chicane - should be great for last-minute overtaking.

Turns 7,8, and 9 would probably work better if the track was going in the opposite direction, but since track runs counterclockwise, I admit that set of corners doesn't make much sense. But if you throw elevation into it, it can be one great complex.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 23:39 (Ref:2284195)   #8
tlongman
Racer

United States
New Jersey
tlongman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great track! Turns 11 and 13 would be fantastic. Although I think it should be clockwise. Either way its great and the way you have it makes the last section of corners better. Nice job Stig.
Old 8 Sep 2008, 00:21 (Ref:2284218)   #9
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks mighty good to me, very organic flow to it and one every kind of corner.very balanced 10/6 corner ratio .
Old 8 Sep 2008, 01:24 (Ref:2284245)   #10
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stig, I had a squiz at it yesterday and immediately I thought "Oh, MAN!" That is a verrry nice track indeed. To me, it sort of looks like tlongman's first track which was also one I liked a lot. If it were me, I would tighten the 1st corner a bit more and that's it. Overall, awesome effort first up. Kudos.
Old 8 Sep 2008, 21:55 (Ref:2285099)   #11
Stig
Racer

United States
New Jersey
Next track! America needs a good road course, something to rival the best of Europe, and a new place to host an event on the F1 calendar. So I have made this track, called New York Grand Prix. There is a national circuit which uses the east side of the full circuit.

Info:
- 23 corners
- Runs counterclockwise
- Full circuit runs 3.5 miles in length

Elevation:
- Lowest area on track is Turn 5 (the hairpin)
- Highest area on track is from Turn 11 to Turn 13
- The track is near flat from Turn 17 to Turn 2
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NYGP.pdf (306.1 KB, 92 views)
Old 8 Sep 2008, 22:04 (Ref:2285104)   #12
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I like the track.

I must say though, there are a number of good road courses in the US, and one of them is in upstate New York: Watkins Glen.
Old 8 Sep 2008, 22:10 (Ref:2285107)   #13
Stig
Racer

United States
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist
I like the track.

I must say though, there are a number of good road courses in the US, and one of them is in upstate New York: Watkins Glen.
I know, there are a few good ones (Road America, Sebring, Laguna Seca) but I wanted to make something unlike the others, one that would be more suitable for a Grand Prix. I also figured New York is big enough for two tracks
Old 8 Sep 2008, 22:24 (Ref:2285122)   #14
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
I have to say that there is a lot of similarities between this and SIR.

You have used the same corner sets such as T7/8/9 in both designs so far, likewise the Bus-stop section of SIR and T19/20/21 of this design.

I'm not suggestion there is anything wrong with doing this, but on consecutive designs it's very noticeable.

Of the circuit itself...
I'll have what's become my usual gripe about the pitlane being on the wrong side of the S/F. It's convention to have it on the inside of T1 so that the pit exit is off the racing line.

The section from T9 onwards is fantastically fast and flowing, but it seems to be a heck of a long way to reach the next overtaking chance which I'd suggest would be T19.
I think you could perhaps move T15 closer to T16 making a chicane, that wouldn't look too artificial that would provide overtaking, and there still be a long enough run into T19 for overtaking there too.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 01:22 (Ref:2285201)   #15
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
2 from 2 so far Stiggy! Very nice! But I would only change turns 7 & 8 slightly.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 08:46 (Ref:2285373)   #16
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Stig,

could you put your next track in here in an image format instead of pdf? Would make our life a little easier

The track itself is fine. That top section from T9 to T19 must be a hell of a ride!

I agree with SBF about the pitlane being on the "wrong" side, but disagree on the overtaking issue: this track has at least 3 good overtaking spots (T2, T5 and T19) and that sounds fine with me...
Old 9 Sep 2008, 10:28 (Ref:2285434)   #17
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice on Stig!

Since I have a soft spot for flat-out or very high speed sections that aren't straight I really like the T9-T19 run!

I think this circuit would work well both for F1 and IRL.

Well done!
Old 9 Sep 2008, 15:29 (Ref:2285673)   #18
Stig
Racer

United States
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio
Stig,

could you put your next track in here in an image format instead of pdf? Would make our life a little easier
Yes, sorry about that. I tried to post it as a .JPG but the picture was too large and for some reason could not be resized, so I had to change to a different format.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 19:30 (Ref:2285919)   #19
tlongman
Racer

United States
New Jersey
tlongman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another fast, flowing circuit my friend. Great job. I'm also going to have to agree with the popular opinion and label that 9-19 run as "amazing".
Old 9 Sep 2008, 19:38 (Ref:2285926)   #20
atomik99
Rookie

Canada
Canada
atomik99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have no constructive comments to offer, but just wanted to say that your tracks are very awesome!
Old 10 Sep 2008, 02:26 (Ref:2286174)   #21
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
It wasn't that hard to look at was it??
Old 10 Sep 2008, 04:47 (Ref:2286219)   #22
bio
Veteran

Hungary
TW,

it wasn't, but it's even easier to look at an image file. And why not do it easier if I can?
Old 10 Sep 2008, 06:03 (Ref:2286240)   #23
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Shut me up there bio. You ready to die without consent BTW?? Crazy science experiment underway starting 6:30 or something like that.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 10:40 (Ref:2286371)   #24
bio
Veteran

Hungary
I'll sure let you know when I've managed to understand what you've said.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 12:25 (Ref:2286445)   #25
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
He's talking about that massive particle accelerator in France that they're going to use to possibly try to understand how the "Big Bang" may have occurred; theoretically, there's some risk of obliterating the Earth. Thankfully, they've successfully activated half of it without bringing the apocalypse upon ourselves.