Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 20 Jan 2015, 20:01 (Ref:3494572)   #1
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Donington Collection

As one who eagerly visited the museum when it first opened and who was heavily involved in the 1976 Racing Car Show (I built the Scalextric track on the NSCC stand) and the opening meeting, I have a soft spot for the place.

However, I have been increasingly disturbed at the watering down of the racing car collection over recent years.

This quote from Wikepedia:

The museum sold the Jim Clark Lotus 25 c.2008 to an unknown private collector. Although it is no longer on public display, it has given the car the chance to be raced on track by Damon Hill and David Coulthard. Several other Formula 1 cars have also disappeared from the museum including Jackie Stewart's 1973 championship winning Tyrrell, Lotus 72 and Ferrari F2000. These cars may have been sold in order to solve Donington's financial problems when it enlarged the circuit and attempted to host the 2012 British Grand Prix.

I believe that many more iconic cars have been sold but the reception at the museum were unable to supply a list of current exhibits when I last visited - so I didn't go in. (Not interested in Kevin's WW2 vehicles).

Emails have gone unanswered so I am asking on here if anyone can list the cars that have disappeared as I don't think it is the attraction it once was.
Old 20 Jan 2015, 23:20 (Ref:3494635)   #2
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know for sure but some of the vehicles were only on loan and others have been returned to the track.

The Prodrive collection is currently on loan there.
Old 27 Jan 2015, 09:16 (Ref:3497926)   #3
Super100MPH
Rookie

Australia
The Illawarra
Super100MPH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is what it used to look like

There is this old video of the Donington Collection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQcWO7k43dc
Old 29 Jan 2015, 08:39 (Ref:3498595)   #4
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Roger Wills purchased the 6 Wheel Tyrrell and the STP March 701 (that was on the wall) from Donington. I don't know if he still has them.

One bonus was being able to see the 6 wheeler on track again.

Joe Twyman, Tyrrell P34, 6 Wheeler by Alansart, on Flickr

Joe Twyman, Tyrrell P34, 6 Wheeler by Alansart, on Flickr

Some cars were only on loan to the Collection and were pulled in the aftermath of the GP debacle, when things were looking decidedly dodgy so I'm pleased there's still a Collection to visit. I've not been for about 6 years but I'm hoping to go again this year.