Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 19 Nov 2010, 13:22 (Ref:2793101)   #1
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yabucoa

This is the um...fictional story.

Let's say there's a piece of land where there used to be a Union Carbonichle(names changed) manufacturing plant that poluted the area ,back in the 70's, this plant is now closed and the terrain has been isolated and banned for housing construction, the remains of the contaminants were buried and covered with earth into a quite sizable hill, near the road.Let's also fantasize the mayor of the town is very pro racing and that we've found EPA has a funding program to re-condition polluted areas into parks, golf courses and so...let's say we put all this together and we have a nice location and good possibilities to get a track done.

So I took a look from the sky and sketched some tryouts, I can have a nice club track,sort of like Barber, using the artificial hill as an amphitheater for spectators. I can't use the terrain up north because there are houses close by.

These are some ideas and I need you to either vote for one, suggest combination of any of them, or just plainly shoot one of your own, if you do so, try to have the longest but safest possible,without getting too crazy, shoot for 3km~
Attached Thumbnails
Yabucoa.jpg   Yabucoa1.jpg   Yabucoa2.jpg  

Yabucoa3.jpg   Yabucoa4.jpg  

Last edited by LuiggiSpeed; 19 Nov 2010 at 13:30.
Old 19 Nov 2010, 16:23 (Ref:2793152)   #2
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My podium is: #1, #3 and #5 - in that order.

bio
Old 19 Nov 2010, 17:07 (Ref:2793161)   #3
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Thanks bio!
I'm still trying to come up with something for the last part of the course, the head of "Dino" ( it looks to me like Dino, the Flintstones dog ),I'd think it will be good to have some little infield with a couple of overtaking spots just before the start/finish line, to put some flavor into the races.I put sketch #2 just in case, I dropped that ideas pretty early due to safety concerns after the medium straight in front of the hill, but I still like the idea of some flowing LH turns around the hill. I don't want the circuit too complex(darn, I already have more than 13 turns in one variation) nor too tortuous. If someone has a different approach altogether that still makes 3K it will be appreciated.
Old 19 Nov 2010, 18:46 (Ref:2793188)   #4
the_calculator
Rookie

Netherlands
the_calculator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Certainly #3 for me.
Gets the most out of the main straight.
Also less corners makes each one more important to get right

Alltough there seem to be some interesting corner combinations in the other ones I doubt they are because of the scale.
If the track was say 5km it would be #4
Old 19 Nov 2010, 23:56 (Ref:2793294)   #5
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
I have one more... I'm leaning towards this kind of arrangement at the end, you see, I always like to have some overtaking at the end of the lap so that races can be decided in the last couple of corners, if there's close competition.It measures 3.77 Km . I put a fast corner at T1 to try make the racers respect it and not try to overtake, thus causing first corner mayhem, they will settle down a little bit before overtaking opportunities.
Attached Thumbnails
Yabucoa7.jpg  
Old 20 Nov 2010, 07:41 (Ref:2793360)   #6
bio
Veteran

Hungary
I doubt any decent racer would NOT try to overtake here at T1 if they had a fast enough bike under their asses :P

bio
Old 20 Nov 2010, 13:50 (Ref:2793437)   #7
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio View Post
I doubt any decent racer would NOT try to overtake here at T1 if they had a fast enough bike under their asses :P

bio

Well, as I've said before, any corner can be an overtaking spot if there's enough speed difference between the contenders , but such type of fast corner coming from an 750-800 m straight it's not a good overtaking spot,you can easily end up performing soil sampling , I have basically reproduced the T1 in Mobil 1 in Dominican Republic track and that's one few people attempt to pass similarly talented contenders, it's just too risky. Now T2 is a DA which offers different lines, especially if you go wide in T1, T3 drive out is very important because T4 seems to me like a good overtaking spot,so is T6-T7,these corners you have to connect them well, it'll be a battle of out braking vs out driving, the tight chicane might see some action too (right in front of the spectators),T10-T11 are very likely where races can be decided, and T13 is the last ditch effort, but you must get it right or loose the drive to T14 and dump all your effort, so that's basically a lap around my idea.(the latest version)

Last edited by LuiggiSpeed; 20 Nov 2010 at 13:57.
Old 20 Nov 2010, 17:20 (Ref:2793499)   #8
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Luiggi,
you're surley right about this - but I'm not saing that would be a good overtaking point - I'm saying riders would probably try utilizing it as such still. Watching MotoGP all I see is that riders try to overtake in the middle of long sweepig turns - heck, even in at the pitlane , let alone at the end of a straight.

But maybe it's just just the MotoGP. I can very well imagine things go differently there.

bio
Old 21 Nov 2010, 08:20 (Ref:2793734)   #9
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
My order is probably 5, fiest, 3 2nd and then 4.

I do like 6 (the extra one quite a lot though.

I don't like 1 or 2 that I think are unecessarily fussy/intricate or awkward..
Old 21 Nov 2010, 16:55 (Ref:2793874)   #10
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Thanks all, I put many options too scan your opinion, which is very much appreciated and maybe tweak a little bit into a satisfactory track.

From the feedback you are giving me I can fine tune a little bit towards simplicity, let's eliminate that last section and make it more like what the majority of you have choose and to something that looks good to me as a racer:
Attached Thumbnails
Yabucoa8.jpg  
Old 21 Nov 2010, 23:05 (Ref:2794010)   #11
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Man #2 is just awesome.

What I love about it is how you have these 3 main complexes of similarly successive turns (I hope that makes sense), but you've done them in 3 different styles.

The first sections not too disimilar to Vale/Club.
The second I could imagine being ever so slightly banked, and the exit has the same idea as the final Korean bend.
And the third is kind of Abu Dhabi esque (the only good bits of that track, incidentally).

I like them all, but 2 really stands out as being an appetising mixture. I'd love to create that track in rFactor.

Great work.

Selby
Old 22 Nov 2010, 18:45 (Ref:2794377)   #12
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Luiggi,
however oble yur intention to listen to everybody here, it's just impossible to please everyone, I'm afraid. I, for example, liked the parts Teretonga called awkeard and do not think this tracks needs simplification. His opinion is just as good as mine - if not better, in fact, but they're contradict. There's just no pleasing everyone.

No biggie though, I like your newest version just as well )

bio
Old 23 Nov 2010, 06:55 (Ref:2794580)   #13
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Luiggi,
however oble yur intention to listen to everybody here, it's just impossible to please everyone, I'm afraid. I, for example, liked the parts Teretonga called awkeard and do not think this tracks needs simplification. His opinion is just as good as mine - if not better, in fact, but they're contradict. There's just no pleasing everyone.

No biggie though, I like your newest version just as well )

bio
Thats right. Its just an opinion and doing this is fun. Do what you really like and think will work.
Old 23 Nov 2010, 19:49 (Ref:2794845)   #14
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks like I'm a bit of a late arriver to this thread. I'd like to point out that all of your design proposals have got great elements, yet my choice for the best ones includes a mash-up of your designs.

Here's how it goes:

Take Turns 1, 2 and 3 from #2, connect it with the infield loop of #5, after which there follows the backstretch from #2 which has no chicane. At the end of the backstretch, there will be the tight left-hander, slight kink to the right and large radius almost 180 degree penultimate corner from design #3, with the final corner from #1.

Here's hoping that you like my mash-up.
Old 28 Nov 2010, 06:38 (Ref:2796654)   #15
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Guys I really hope you don't want to hang me from the nearest tree...but I made some tweaks to my design. I'm currently attending the FIM/ULM annual convention held here in PR, and upon discussing my proyect with some other delegates I made a slight adjustment on the infield, to satisfy the most stringent criteria regarding distances, so I redid the hair pin to a little tighter radius so that I reduced the speed and also get away from the barrier as much as possible, even though I had 20 meters on a slow speed section where the race line points elsewhere, the section was at the receiving end of some finger pointing safety wise, I also wasn't satisfied with the last section so I added an interesting twist (IMHO) to the very last part, by putting a TA turn right at the end, which could be the perfect scenario for a last turn deciding pass. After racing in a track with such a turn I have become very enthusiastic about it, cause it really makes you pay careful attention to your driving/riding and offers many alternate lines.... hope you like it.

So here I present my last version....

(that until I receive some more divine inspiration...
Attached Thumbnails
Yabucoa9.jpg  
Old 28 Nov 2010, 11:34 (Ref:2796722)   #16
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Still looks great

bio
Old 28 Nov 2010, 20:51 (Ref:2796898)   #17
Teretonga
Veteran

I prefer Version 8 to Version 9, although I might have a few bits of each along with some parts of the earlier versoions in a couple of places. It does look good though. Now all you need is a few million to actually put it in place...
Old 28 Nov 2010, 21:41 (Ref:2796915)   #18
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
... Now all you need is a few million to actually put it in place...

Oh no worries mate !!!You see, in my fictional story...I was last nite in the annual convention of FIM I had a meeting with the director of the department of sports and recreation, who in my dream, listened to me over a cup of wine and my little old laptop,for a whole hour and told me "Luiggi this is a good idea and I think we can do this, here's my phone make sure you get the right people and meet me in my office asap"

BTW as part of my very vivid dreams lately, I got a picture with Mr Vitto Hipolito , President of the FIM!!

Old 29 Nov 2010, 11:32 (Ref:2797116)   #19
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Good to know that you thought we were the "right people"

bio

PS: Also brave of you to still regularly bike around fast circuits wearing those thick glasses :P

bio
Old 4 Dec 2010, 22:32 (Ref:2799703)   #20
PawUloN
Rookie

Poland
Poland
PawUloN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Luiggi, what a nice tie you've got!
Old 6 Dec 2010, 21:53 (Ref:2800565)   #21
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Quote:
PS: Also brave of you to still regularly bike around fast circuits wearing those thick glasses :P

bio
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawUloN View Post
Luiggi, what a nice tie you've got!

for the record:

This is the oficial photo , so that nobody don't gets confused! LOL
Old 8 Dec 2010, 10:30 (Ref:2801295)   #22
bio
Veteran

Hungary
OK, then you officially look cool - now stop bragging about your cool FIM jacket :P

bio
Old 9 Mar 2011, 02:10 (Ref:2842457)   #23
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Yesterday I had a meeting with the major of Yabucoa, who seems to be the classic "peoples" major , he is really interested in injecting some life in his little old town, mostly unknown by 99% of Puerto Rico residents and barely even in the news, we talked to the secretary of recreations and sports, who sanctions the idea 110%, and were having a second follow up meeting on site next Thursday to see the actual perimeter and discuss the ways of getting this thing done, as a government project....they both seem to have "clicked" with the idea and both were brainstorming the economic plan right in front of my very incredulous eyes,my jaw right about chest heigt, so this would be by far the highest I got with my "idea" of having a track built...

Of course this was one of them vivid dreams I had ....or wasn't it?

I don't know, I'll see if I can get a picture across my REM stage!

For now, I strongly urge anyone believing in God and such things to start praying!!!
Old 9 Mar 2011, 09:21 (Ref:2842568)   #24
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Good luck, Luiggi. The dream will become a reality!

And there'll be many of us here (i'm sure), backing you all the way and believing you can do it. You PM'd me where you were up to, but this sounds extremely promising now

Selby
Old 9 Mar 2011, 09:22 (Ref:2842570)   #25
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Also, which layout did you opt for in the end?

Selby