Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 21 Jun 2011, 11:11 (Ref:2902799)   #201
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
Aka "We're scared we'll get beaten"
Old 21 Jun 2011, 17:43 (Ref:2902991)   #202
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Or aka Mazda knows it's spending limits. Or doesn't feel like having to battle huge manufacturers for something not as relevant to a road engine, like P2?
Old 21 Jun 2011, 18:15 (Ref:2903011)   #203
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Being that this is the "rumours" thread, I'd like to put this out there:

Oreca isn't entering a 908 at Imola. Could it be because they are busy working on another project with another manufacturer?
Old 21 Jun 2011, 18:35 (Ref:2903020)   #204
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post

Oreca isn't entering a 908 at Imola. Could it be because they are busy working on another project with another manufacturer?
I really hope so!!!!

Maybe Nissan... who knows!!
Old 21 Jun 2011, 18:55 (Ref:2903033)   #205
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Yeah I think there could be something in this.

IF the plan was for them to maybe go as far as Le Mans with the old car then switch to a new chassis then a new manufacturer involvement could have put an end to this.

I'd be fine with not seeing them for the last few races this year if they turn up next turn with someone like Nissan.

Might simply be reading too much into the situation but it's fun to speculate.
Old 21 Jun 2011, 19:01 (Ref:2903038)   #206
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

As said on another thread.
Orecas relationship seems pretty solid with Peugeot, if anything, Oreca will use Peugeot more.
Old 21 Jun 2011, 19:17 (Ref:2903049)   #207
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Orecas relationship seems pretty solid with Peugeot, if anything, Oreca will use Peugeot more.
On what basis is it more solid?
Old 21 Jun 2011, 19:25 (Ref:2903054)   #208
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
On what basis is it more solid?
By watching Le Mans.
There is a reason why Oreca dedicates their LMP1 efforts on the Peugeot 908.

Also Hugues de Chaunac and Olivier Quesnel seemed to have a few good chats.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 01:22 (Ref:2903234)   #209
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Endurance Info reported that Oreca is skipping Imola because they need to repair the car, but will be at the next round.

I have no knowledge of how damaged their car was at Lemans, but they were able to fix it and run competitive times after their off, so to me that sounds a little weak. I mean if the Robertsons and Lizards can make it back stateside and race, Oreca should be able to do the same.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 01:45 (Ref:2903237)   #210
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It sounded like Oreca didn't have any spares left after LM and would not want to race with enough parts on hand. Now why they couldn't get more spares is a question, Pug unwilling to produce old parts or were they making new 908 parts and so no time for them to make old ones for Oreca?

As for Mazda, they always seem to be running their racing programs as club-level efforts than all-out Pug/Audi efforts. At least to me it looks like they have an idea, approach a team and say build this for us will you? But it doesn't look like they give the team any more than just enough cash, and sometimes not quite enough. Sometimes it seemed like BK and Dyson both were chasing enough testing to get things sorted before they raced, and their racing suffered for it. Dyson and AER have pushed through and seem to have turned a corner for now. But would Dyson be better served as an LMP2 partner with whatever Dempsey and Mazda organize? Even if Dyson doesn't go to LM directly but stays an ALMS operation, supporting a Dempsey team with a proven team that can make a car run has to be a good idea for success.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 02:04 (Ref:2903239)   #211
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
As for Mazda, they always seem to be running their racing programs as club-level efforts than all-out Pug/Audi efforts. At least to me it looks like they have an idea, approach a team and say build this for us will you? But it doesn't look like they give the team any more than just enough cash, and sometimes not quite enough. Sometimes it seemed like BK and Dyson both were chasing enough testing to get things sorted before they raced, and their racing suffered for it. Dyson and AER have pushed through and seem to have turned a corner for now. But would Dyson be better served as an LMP2 partner with whatever Dempsey and Mazda organize? Even if Dyson doesn't go to LM directly but stays an ALMS operation, supporting a Dempsey team with a proven team that can make a car run has to be a good idea for success.
I think it is interesting to see that SpeedSource was commissioned by Mazda to study the racing applications of the SKYACTIV engines. Maybe they'll run the team for Dempsey? Anyway, even if Dyson did it, I'm not so sure if it would be wise to run a WEC program out of the US. That said, they could do it I guess. Also, I don't know if AER will be involved with this or not.

As far as Dyson goes, they may have a shot to go to Le Mans if Oryx wants Dyson to take them to Le Mans. There was some evidence that they do want to go to Le Mans, but I don't know if that will be in 2012 or 2013. A lot can change by then. If they do go and they race in LMP1, I'd hope they would have something other than the MZR-R as I don't know if that engine would be very fast even against other petrols at Le Mans.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 02:12 (Ref:2903240)   #212
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Does Speedsource do the engine work in house or would they contract out any actual construction/testing to someone like AER? And has anyone read whether the SKYACTIV would replace the MZR-R line or add an LMP2 engine to Mazda's lineup.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 07:22 (Ref:2903280)   #213
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Endurance Info reported that Oreca is skipping Imola because they need to repair the car, but will be at the next round.

I have no knowledge of how damaged their car was at Lemans, but they were able to fix it and run competitive times after their off, so to me that sounds a little weak. I mean if the Robertsons and Lizards can make it back stateside and race, Oreca should be able to do the same.
I said it because someone started to talk about Oreca moving away from Peugeot
Old 22 Jun 2011, 07:45 (Ref:2903295)   #214
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Does Speedsource do the engine work in house or would they contract out any actual construction/testing to someone like AER? And has anyone read whether the SKYACTIV would replace the MZR-R line or add an LMP2 engine to Mazda's lineup.
I'm not exactly sure about Speedsource's capabilities. As for the SKYACTIV, things are looking confusing. It looks like both the SKYACTIV-G (petrol) and SKYACTIV-D (diesel) are being studied for racing suitability. Some are saying that the petrol would be the LMP2 engine and the diesel could be an LMP1 engine (diesel is not allowed in LMP2 at the moment), but who knows. Maybe they could get a waiver. Anyway, I'm not sure if we'll see a diesel LMP engine from Mazda right now. My guess is the LMP2 engine will be the petrol SKYACTIV.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 09:34 (Ref:2903357)   #215
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
As of right now, Speed source have only been contracted to do the study, so that's quite different from doing actual engine work. They might simply come to the conclusion that it's best to outsource engine-tuning to someone like AER, Zytek or CDR...
Old 22 Jun 2011, 16:49 (Ref:2904316)   #216
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I said it because someone started to talk about Oreca moving away from Peugeot
Prior to Le Mans De Chaunac said they were in discussions with Peugeot about 2012, he also mentioned their O2 coupe.

I guess you have to seperate ORECA the manufactuer, and ORECA the race team.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 16:55 (Ref:2904319)   #217
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Prior to Le Mans De Chaunac said they were in discussions with Peugeot about 2012, he also mentioned their O2 coupe.

That would be interesting if Oreca built an 02 coupe for somebody else, but ran a Peugeot for their own team.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 16:58 (Ref:2904320)   #218
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
That would be interesting if Oreca built an 02 coupe for somebody else, but ran a Peugeot for their own team.
Yeah, but it would simply mean a bit of logical separation between Oreca the racing team and Oreca the racing car manufacturer.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 17:09 (Ref:2904323)   #219
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Yeah, but it would simply mean a bit of logical separation between Oreca the racing team and Oreca the racing car manufacturer.
Personally i still believe that Oreca is moving towards an engine supply deal with Peugeot. And that way tying the bond with Peugeot closer.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 17:46 (Ref:2904346)   #220
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Personally i still believe that Oreca is moving towards an engine supply deal with Peugeot. And that way tying the bond with Peugeot closer.
I think that would be really cool if they were able to get one of the new v8 diesels into the back of their own chassis. I think ORECA was pushing for the ACO to make factory teams lease engines to privateers, so that could make sense.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 17:56 (Ref:2904349)   #221
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
I think that would be really cool if they were able to get one of the new v8 diesels into the back of their own chassis. I think ORECA was pushing for the ACO to make factory teams lease engines to privateers, so that could make sense.
It was also rumored that Oreca would be supplied with Peugeot Petrol for this year.
Perhaps Oreca will receive and test run the future petrol engine Olivier Quesnel has talked about!?
Old 22 Jun 2011, 18:11 (Ref:2904356)   #222
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Look a few pages earlier, it was said by commentators at Le Mans, Nissan, ORECA and Zytek are working together on a P1, it may have already hit the track.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 19:08 (Ref:2904388)   #223
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
If a major manufacturer, such as Nissan asks Oreca to run a factory programme in the same way as Joest does for Audi - lets face it they will do it.

If there is a factory out there wanting such a team then who better than Oreca?
Old 23 Jun 2011, 05:26 (Ref:2904575)   #224
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Have you heard the latest rumour Mal that the new Oreca will run on Pineau des Charentes........?

Old 23 Jun 2011, 06:42 (Ref:2904589)   #225
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Have you heard the latest rumour Mal that the new Oreca will run on Pineau des Charentes........?

It will struggle to stay on the straights then!