Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 May 2004, 15:18 (Ref:982649)   #1
minirda
Racer

minirda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wilux wants Bruni to be replaced

Seems that Wilux's Ruud Wildschut wants Gianmaria Bruni to be replaced within three weeks by a Dutch driver. Wilux is not satisfied by the performance of the Italian youngster. Furthermore the team must also receive money from Bruni. Wildschut wants Verstappen, Albers, Ho Pin Tung or Van de Garde to get the Minardi seat if Bruni doesn't pay before the 10th of June.
I don't like this at all. Bruni is doing a fine job at the moment, IMO. Paul Stoddart should decide about the line-up in stead of a sponsor.
Old 25 May 2004, 15:25 (Ref:982657)   #2
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well i guess albers won't jump ship in the middle of the season
Old 25 May 2004, 15:31 (Ref:982668)   #3
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: Wilux wants Bruni to be replaced

Do you have a source for this?

If it is true it really is a shame, but this is how F1 works these days. It's becoming more of a business than a sport. The really sad thing is that this situation doesn't really surprise me in the current climate that is F1.

Quote:
Originally posted by minirda
I don't like this at all. Bruni is doing a fine job at the moment, IMO. Paul Stoddart should decide about the line-up in stead of a sponsor.
I'm sure that's what PS would like to do in an ideal world, but he has to keep Minardi afloat by any means possible. It's so hard to get/keep sponsors in the current financial climate, especially if you are a minnow. So he has to do what he has to do.
Old 25 May 2004, 15:34 (Ref:982672)   #4
Attila
Racer

Attila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is the source of this? I find this highly unlikely to happen, after all Bruni outqualified Baumgartner on all but one occasion. He is constantly faster on all races including Monaco. Bruni and Baumgartner pays exactly the same amount of money so why not replace Zsolt instead of Bruni?

The drivers you mentioned are not better than Bruni, maybe with the expection of Albers. If I were him I would not join Minardi at the moment, he is getting more headline from winning at DTM, beating Alesi and Schneider. Of course it is only my opinion.
Old 25 May 2004, 16:20 (Ref:982707)   #5
minirda
Racer

minirda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Several Dutch sources (Wilux is a Dutch/Belgian company) national written media (AD, the second biggest national newspaper), TV text (SBS6) and several dutch f1 sites (www.raceplanet.net amongst others). Reliable sources to me.
Old 25 May 2004, 18:21 (Ref:982833)   #6
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And then why Wilux don't promote Leinders to a titular ride???
Old 25 May 2004, 18:30 (Ref:982836)   #7
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who is Wilux??
Old 25 May 2004, 18:47 (Ref:982862)   #8
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A LOT of rumours come from Holland. How many turn out to be true?
Old 25 May 2004, 18:51 (Ref:982863)   #9
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by DriverT
Who is Wilux??
Wilux is the title sponsor of the Wilux Minardi team.
Old 25 May 2004, 18:57 (Ref:982870)   #10
Don K
Veteran

According to Dutch sites, Verstappen and Albers said no.
Wilson and Briscoe seem to be main candidates.

And of course, if Bruni's sponsors do pay the rest of the money within two weeks, he'll probably keep his place.
Even if Minardi isn't happy with Bruni's results yet, Bruni is clearly faster than Baumgartner (most of the time).
Old 25 May 2004, 19:34 (Ref:982918)   #11
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't see Verstappen or Albers wanting this seat. Ho Pin Ting is a nice Chinese driver on club level and Van Der Garde may have what it takes, but not yet please. Enough talented Dutch drivers have ruined their carreers by stepping in to soon. If it has to be a Dutch driver (on Willux demands), and it can wait another 4 weeks or so they could give Tom Coronel a chance. And to make this a real chance let him do a lot of testing and getting to know this car.
Old 25 May 2004, 20:21 (Ref:982985)   #12
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Don K
Wilux is the title sponsor of the Wilux Minardi team.
Thanks!
Old 25 May 2004, 20:57 (Ref:983016)   #13
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When does somebody tell those Dutch sponsors that sponsoring doesn't mean they get a say in how the team is being run? They all seem to have this annoying habbit, as long as they're from the Netherlands.
Old 25 May 2004, 21:03 (Ref:983021)   #14
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
NGE, that's probably why they sponsor the lower order teams, to try and get leverage of who drives. That's just my own personal opinion since it strikes me with the Dutch sponsor wranglings we have seen recently with Jordan and now Minardi.

Last edited by Spudgun; 25 May 2004 at 21:04.
Old 25 May 2004, 21:06 (Ref:983026)   #15
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Yeah, right. Typical Dutch behaviour. Like Shell demanding Ferrari to give MS a seat.
Old 25 May 2004, 21:08 (Ref:983027)   #16
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Dutch chap
Yeah, right. Typical Dutch behaviour. Like Shell demanding Ferrari to give MS a seat.
It wasn't a pop at Dutch sponsors. Just an observation. I could (and probably be) wrong. Just like 'Catchphrase' on UK TV. Say what you see.
Old 25 May 2004, 21:16 (Ref:983035)   #17
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
I understand Spud. I was actually responding to Eddie who seems to have never heard the phrase 'money talks'.
Old 26 May 2004, 00:36 (Ref:983256)   #18
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I think Bruni is doing a good job so far , he has raced the pants of "No result Zolt" with the exception of Monaco where Zolt seemed to be ahead.

I think he has been the shinning light at minardi this year and hope he gets a decent car next year to show us what he can really do.

But then again Money talks just a shame if it happens.
Old 26 May 2004, 05:24 (Ref:983388)   #19
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jeez this past year dutch sponsors sure have been a pain.

Unfortunately for Minardi, money talks, so no pay no play.

I'd nominate Tom Coronel if Bruni goes. Why:

1. He has nothing to lose in terms of a reputation like a young driver would. Tom can always go back to what he is doing in touring and sports cars.
2. He's Dutch.
Old 26 May 2004, 06:04 (Ref:983409)   #20
jet
Racer

Netherlands
Harderwijk (Netherlands)
jet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bruni is a much better driver than Zolt Baumgather.
I'll hope that Bruni gets to drive the Minardi whole season and don't be replaced by anyone .just because you'll don't want to step in a Minardi after 7 or 8 races.Look at Kiesa last year
Old 26 May 2004, 06:22 (Ref:983422)   #21
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dutch chap
but not yet please. Enough talented Dutch drivers have ruined their carreers by stepping in to soon. If it has to be a Dutch driver (on Willux demands), and it can wait another 4 weeks or so they could give Tom Coronel a chance. And to make this a real chance let him do a lot of testing and getting to know this car.
There have been have'nt there - case in point being Michael Bleekemolen - do you know anything about why he dissapeared from F1 after 78? He was rumoured to be in the Lotus 'b' team for 1979 alongside Keegan but this never came to fruition. Whatever happened to his sponsors F&S properties? Michaels rise to prominence in 77/78 effectively spelt the end for Hayje's F1 career.

I agree with Coronel - he'd jump at the chance, and was good in JAP3000 and F3 in his time.

Oh and whats happened to Kiesa then? vanished...
Old 26 May 2004, 07:40 (Ref:983464)   #22
Attila
Racer

Attila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Knowing both Zsolt's and Bruni's driving style from first hand, it is clear that Zsolt is faster in slow corners and slow tracks whist Bruni is much much quicker on faster tracks. I have worked with Zsolti in his first and 2nd F3000 years and it was obvious that he was among the best drivers in slow corners but is afraid of fast ones. I remember, in his first F3000 test ever in France, he was only 0,2s off the pace on the slow part of the track and then lost 1,6s on the only fast corner. We tried to get him a driver coach, but it did not work out the way we planned, so we sold his management contract back to his father. Othen than that Zsolt has a very very good technical understanding and feedback, which would make him a good testdriver, but he is too slow for F1 racing. Would make a hell of a good LM driver though.
Old 26 May 2004, 08:16 (Ref:983499)   #23
Don K
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by NiceGuyEddie
When does somebody tell those Dutch sponsors that sponsoring doesn't mean they get a say in how the team is being run? They all seem to have this annoying habbit, as long as they're from the Netherlands.
It sounds to me as if the Minardi team has told Wilux that they would be allowed to propose a driver, in case Bruni is dropped.

And the web sites seem to suggest that Wilux is allowed to decide on who the new driver will be.

-----

I guess it is just a simple scheme to put more pressure on Bruni's sponsors ...
Old 26 May 2004, 08:16 (Ref:983501)   #24
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Although Bruni hasn't been spectaculr and doesn't look like a superstar in the making, he's certainly been mroe than competant, and can do a better job than any of the other drivers being linked - Jos is a has-been, Albers flopped badly alongside Webber in F3000, Ho Pin is nowhere near ready, and Coronel has reached his level.
Old 26 May 2004, 08:32 (Ref:983517)   #25
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If Bruni, however unlikely, is dropped than the most obvious choice would be the third driver, Bas Leinders.