Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 21 Mar 2018, 20:13 (Ref:3809696)   #576
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
It's so embarrassingly bad I wonder if the promoters are busy offering to partially fund some rides in the first round.

Allegedly.

I'm not joking!

How much do they owe Silverstone for the weekend? In for a penny...
Old 21 Mar 2018, 20:21 (Ref:3809700)   #577
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudnoise View Post
i for one will be supporting the series and wish it every success.
Have you a ticket for Silverstone? I have a horrible feeling of Swansea City vs Hartlepool Utd 1992 all over again: their where less Pools away fans than players on the team!
Old 21 Mar 2018, 20:23 (Ref:3809701)   #578
loudnoise
Rookie

loudnoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
It's so embarrassingly bad I wonder if the promoters are busy offering to partially fund some rides in the first round.

Allegedly.

I'm not joking!

They wont owe Silverstone anything. BRSCC are running the event and there are 7 other support series over the weekend of which many will have 20 plus if not nearer 30 entries.
Old 21 Mar 2018, 22:23 (Ref:3809735)   #579
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
FF1600 closer to 40 entries and some of the best racing in the UK.
Old 21 Mar 2018, 23:10 (Ref:3809746)   #580
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm going to give them a chance on this and go over to Silverstone on the Sunday to see what the entry level & racing are like. However, I still think they'd have done better making a deal to join up with the British GT & F3 meetings.
Old 21 Mar 2018, 23:29 (Ref:3809751)   #581
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudnoise View Post
They wont owe Silverstone anything. BRSCC are running the event and there are 7 other support series over the weekend of which many will have 20 plus if not nearer 30 entries.
Precisely the point - some folk on here talk as if there was nothing else on the programme....its one event on a full weekend programme, so give it a chance!
Old 22 Mar 2018, 06:44 (Ref:3809799)   #582
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope that the series succeeds, even if it is a slow burner at first.

The cars look good, there is manufacturer involvement, there are lots of cars about which appear cheaper to buy and run than a BTCC car and the cars can be raced in a few other series.

If it had been me, I would have introduced a Class B for the existing Seat Leon SuperCopa Mk2s of which there are plenty about. I would have also tried to differentiate the series from other "professional" series by offering 40 min races with a pit stop for one or two drivers, enabling the sharing of costs, or for amateurs to share with pros.
Old 22 Mar 2018, 07:05 (Ref:3809801)   #583
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Presumably the BRSCC will have sold TCR UK that grid slot, so the TCR promoter will still be out of pocket with less than 10 cars.

I think the cars look good and be interesting to see if they can grow it, but it is a tough market out there.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
Old 22 Mar 2018, 07:30 (Ref:3809806)   #584
RED55
Racer

Sweden
Banbury
RED55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its Easy to forget that BTCC went through a very difficult time from the end of the Supertouring days , pretty much if Vauxhall 888 and Dynamics hadnt been involved I doubt the series would have been as healthy as it is now , I believe TCR will come stronger, BTCC will only remain at the Top of the tin top tree as long as it has a good TV package, as it is the audiences the sponsors are buying into . Nobody should be anti TCR , in broader terms the cars are near to BTCC spec but much more economical and flexible to operate , its only because of the promoters newness and the market for racing in Britain that the grids initially will struggle ,The German version of BTCC was very poor for years , but TCR has made it very attractive so there is TCR success all over .
Old 22 Mar 2018, 09:27 (Ref:3809825)   #585
loudnoise
Rookie

loudnoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Have you a ticket for Silverstone? I have a horrible feeling of Swansea City vs Hartlepool Utd 1992 all over again: their where less Pools away fans than players on the team!
I plan to be there yes.

Ever likely there was more hartlepool players it's a long way from the north east to south Wales 😉
Old 22 Mar 2018, 10:34 (Ref:3809842)   #586
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
there is manufacturer involvement
In the UK series? Where?
Old 22 Mar 2018, 10:39 (Ref:3809845)   #587
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Allegedly.

I'm not joking!

To be honest, if they've got someone, whether it be a sponsor or corporte partner, or the promoter itself, willing to get the cheque book out to help get a few extra cars out for the early races to put on a show and give an idea of TCR's potential, that may not be a totally bad thing, so long as they aren't bleeding their budget dry by doing it, and so long as it persuades a few drivers with budgets that TCR might be worth a look next year as an alternative to spending yet another season in Clios/Minis/Ginettas/whatever if they can't graduate to BTCC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I hope that the series succeeds, even if it is a slow burner at first.

The cars look good, there is manufacturer involvement, there are lots of cars about which appear cheaper to buy and run than a BTCC car and the cars can be raced in a few other series.

If it had been me, I would have introduced a Class B for the existing Seat Leon SuperCopa Mk2s of which there are plenty about. I would have also tried to differentiate the series from other "professional" series by offering 40 min races with a pit stop for one or two drivers, enabling the sharing of costs, or for amateurs to share with pros.
As you say, there are no shortage of car options, you can buy a proven package off-the-shelf and there's plenty of places a TCR car can go and play if you fancy widening your horizons beyond the UK- there really ought to be a place in the market, especially with the BTCC grid capped by TOCA's TBL system, so that for a driver to step up from the support series to the BTCC itself is becoming almost completely dependent on someone else leaving the series or losing their drive. Another step on the ladder, or at least an alternative route, wouldn't be a bad thing.
Old 22 Mar 2018, 11:13 (Ref:3809850)   #588
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
There's plenty of places a TCR car can go and play if you fancy widening your horizons beyond the UK
I think that highlights one of the (many) issues. One of the mainland TCR series, or TCR Europe, wouldn't be much more of a stretch financially (I assume) to race against bigger or more established grids.
Old 22 Mar 2018, 15:18 (Ref:3809922)   #589
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
To be honest, if they've got someone, whether it be a sponsor or corporte partner, or the promoter itself, willing to get the cheque book out to help get a few extra cars out for the early races to put on a show and give an idea of TCR's potential, that may not be a totally bad thing, so long as they aren't bleeding their budget dry by doing it, and so long as it persuades a few drivers with budgets that TCR might be worth a look next year as an alternative to spending yet another season in Clios/Minis/Ginettas/whatever if they can't graduate to BTCC.

As you say, there are no shortage of car options, you can buy a proven package off-the-shelf and there's plenty of places a TCR car can go and play if you fancy widening your horizons beyond the UK- there really ought to be a place in the market, especially with the BTCC grid capped by TOCA's TBL system, so that for a driver to step up from the support series to the BTCC itself is becoming almost completely dependent on someone else leaving the series or losing their drive. Another step on the ladder, or at least an alternative route, wouldn't be a bad thing.

Except all BTCC races and supports have Decent TV. It seems TCR has no Tv to speak of , had the same entry fee at BTCC!! A poorly thought out calander ( Knockhill early season?). Little or no promotion, massive lack of information for teams. Who in their right mind would take a punt on that?
Old 22 Mar 2018, 18:53 (Ref:3809952)   #590
TerryM
Rookie

TerryM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wish the series all the best.........i hope it doesn't go the same
way as the Abarths and the National saloon cars did a few years ago,
a lot of money spent for no return.
Old 22 Mar 2018, 18:58 (Ref:3809955)   #591
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryM View Post
I wish the series all the best.........i hope it doesn't go the same
way as the Abarths and the National saloon cars did a few years ago,
a lot of money spent for no return.
History repeating itself.......
Old 22 Mar 2018, 20:15 (Ref:3809968)   #592
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Except all BTCC races and supports have Decent TV. It seems TCR has no Tv to speak of , had the same entry fee at BTCC!! A poorly thought out calander ( Knockhill early season?). Little or no promotion, massive lack of information for teams. Who in their right mind would take a punt on that?
strewth Billy, i would say knockhill in may is a good shout, chance of decent weather, long days and the place isnt at the end of the earth
Old 23 Mar 2018, 11:10 (Ref:3810092)   #593
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
https://www.touringcartimes.com/2018...tcr-uk-opener/

Two more.
Old 23 Mar 2018, 11:54 (Ref:3810109)   #594
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
predictably they are paying for teams to come to the first round to boost the grid into double figures.

but unfortunately there are still just 6 full-season-entries.
Old 23 Mar 2018, 12:11 (Ref:3810111)   #595
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Lol, within 60 minutes of two more drivers being announced you arrive to tell us what a disaster that is.

Grid might start out small but at least who wins will be decided on track.
Old 23 Mar 2018, 12:16 (Ref:3810113)   #596
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Lol, within 60 minutes of two more drivers being announced you arrive to tell us what a disaster that is..
Exactly. If it's that bad then why are you following it so closely...?
Old 23 Mar 2018, 12:21 (Ref:3810117)   #597
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckn002 View Post
Exactly. If it's that bad then why are you following it so closely...?
because it's like watching a car crash - its hard to look away.
Old 23 Mar 2018, 12:31 (Ref:3810121)   #598
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aland View Post
i would say knockhill in may is a good shout, chance of decent weather, long days and the place isnt at the end of the earth
Errr - depends where you live. It's quicker for me to drive to the Nurburgring, Spa, Zaandvoort or Zolder for example.
Old 25 Mar 2018, 11:31 (Ref:3810638)   #599
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Originally Posted by aland View Post
strewth Billy, i would say knockhill in may is a good shout, chance of decent weather, long days and the place isnt at the end of the earth
Not knocking Knockhill. Just a big logistical and financial mission early on
Old 25 Mar 2018, 18:22 (Ref:3810687)   #600
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've been watching the US version and it works well in a developing market like that, where there is nothing at that level or above in terms of saloon car racing and even that is mixed in with other classes for its first season, which I think had 13 or 14 cars at Circuit of the Americas. It's not the same here, so I don’t expect it to be around for long before it gets swallowed up into britcar or something.