Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 6 Nov 2016, 03:44 (Ref:3685733)   #11501
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
German media reports yet another cheating device has been found in Audi road cars in the US, affecting both Diesel and gasoline powered cars.
Old 6 Nov 2016, 04:00 (Ref:3685739)   #11502
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Great. I still have no doubts that others are doing much the same. They just haven't been caught yet.
Old 6 Nov 2016, 06:05 (Ref:3685782)   #11503
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
And this race is another one to forget for Audi. I don't care about them pulling out of the WEC now.
Old 6 Nov 2016, 08:56 (Ref:3685870)   #11504
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Moving away from the current discussion - Antonio Giovanizzi will not be taking part in the Young Drivers' Test at Bahrain as he has elected to do further GP2 testing as he battles for this year's title. In his stead, the ACO have picked Paul-Loup Chatin.

At the same time as the test, Alex Brundle will angrily munching through a jar of cookies...
Old 6 Nov 2016, 10:05 (Ref:3685899)   #11505
ederss7
Veteran

Brazil
ederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And their last race will be at a stupid track, far away from the fans. I hope they don't have such an awful race like this one in China.
Old 6 Nov 2016, 11:25 (Ref:3685920)   #11506
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
German media reports yet another cheating device has been found in Audi road cars in the US, affecting both Diesel and gasoline powered cars.
If this is true, then it is the final nail in the VAG coffin.
Old 6 Nov 2016, 11:29 (Ref:3685922)   #11507
sssssssss
Veteran

sssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this is interesting...
http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/joe...ster-en-lm-p1/
Old 6 Nov 2016, 11:38 (Ref:3685924)   #11508
bhtooefr
Rookie

United States
Newark, OH
bhtooefr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's the English-language article: http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/j...hybrid-option/
Old 6 Nov 2016, 11:48 (Ref:3685927)   #11509
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can we say now that the R18 2016 is a lemon? Fast only in certain conditions and very unreliable.
Old 6 Nov 2016, 13:27 (Ref:3685940)   #11510
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish Primer View Post
Can we say now that the R18 2016 is a lemon? Fast only in certain conditions and very unreliable.
Pretty sad to see their heritage to end with such a troubled car. I don't think it would have made any difference but I guess the lacking results made it even easier for the beancounters to pull the plug.

Their efforts this year have been bordering on the shambolic many times, which is a big shame.
Old 6 Nov 2016, 13:41 (Ref:3685944)   #11511
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
Audi hasn´t produced a dominant car in the last 3 years, the 2014 and 2015 cars at least were reliable.
Old 6 Nov 2016, 14:46 (Ref:3685961)   #11512
bavila
Rookie

bavila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Great. I still have no doubts that others are doing much the same. They just haven't been caught yet.
You, sir, are a bitter man. Let it go. Let it go.
Old 6 Nov 2016, 15:21 (Ref:3685963)   #11513
bavila
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post
With Audi gone, Porsche can start racking up numbers for the history books. Good for the long-term brand appeal. I don't see why they would even consider leaving now.
This right here. Porsche learned their lesson to allow family car Audi to almost topple them in the LM Wins category. That won't happen again, and rightfully so.
Old 6 Nov 2016, 15:25 (Ref:3685964)   #11514
bavila
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish Primer View Post
Or Audi just struggled to keep up with the competition as of late. Both Porsche and Toyota improved enough in a relatively short period of time where Audi maybe couldn't manage their own pace of development. It happens. But that's motorsports competition. In the end, it's a good thing, evolution, if you will. Audi got weeded out, like the Dodo bird (that sound harsh, but not intended so).
Old 6 Nov 2016, 16:06 (Ref:3685969)   #11515
bobec
Racer

bobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavila View Post
Or Audi just struggled to keep up with the competition as of late. Both Porsche and Toyota improved enough in a relatively short period of time where Audi maybe couldn't manage their own pace of development. It happens. But that's motorsports competition. In the end, it's a good thing, evolution, if you will. Audi got weeded out, like the Dodo bird (that sound harsh, but not intended so).

It has nothing to do with the Dodo bird or evolution. I personally doubted the high-nose design would work for Le Mans, but the reasons why Audi had no other choice but to go this radical way have been discussed. The reasons for Audi to leave the WEC have also been discussed. So no need to aim at Audi fans while claiming you're not intending to be harsh, because everyone can see through it, apart from it being not on point.
Old 6 Nov 2016, 16:16 (Ref:3685974)   #11516
ederss7
Veteran

Brazil
ederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least Audi had less terminal failures than Toyota. The 919 has been the only reliable car this season in LMP1.
Old 6 Nov 2016, 16:17 (Ref:3685975)   #11517
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by ederss7 View Post
At least Audi had less terminal failures than Toyota. The 919 has been the only reliable car this season in LMP1.
The #1 had like, what, a 4hr repair stop at Le Mans? Hybrid issues in Spa on the #2...wouldn't call that particularly reliable.
Old 6 Nov 2016, 16:22 (Ref:3685978)   #11518
ederss7
Veteran

Brazil
Quote:
The #1 had like, what, a 4hr repair stop at Le Mans? Hybrid issues in Spa on the #2...wouldn't call that particularly reliable.
In comparison to Audi and Toyota. The 919 only had those issues you mentioned. Audi had several problems, but only one terminal failure(not counting the withdraw in Fuji). Toyota broke two engines at Spa and had that problem that costed LM, plus a hybrid failure in Mexico.
Old 6 Nov 2016, 16:27 (Ref:3685980)   #11519
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
#1 Porsche almost blew an engine at LM because of a water pump problem. Both cars had nearly terminal hybrid failures at Spa.

No one's been reliable all year. But EOT and luck have screwed Audi several times this year. But the issues at Fuji and Shanghai seem to be self-inflicted.

I've also had issues with Jorg Zander and his design and that Audi probably should've dumped diesel and gone with a gasoline engine. Even switching the current engine from gasoline to diesel would save a lot of weight for packaging, as they could dump steel pistons and rods for aluminum and titanium.
Old 6 Nov 2016, 16:37 (Ref:3685986)   #11520
ederss7
Veteran

Brazil
But regarding the number of terminal failures, Audi have been way ahead of Toyota and Porsche. They've only had two failures since the WEC creation in 2012. Bahrain in 2013 and in this year at Silverstone.
Old 6 Nov 2016, 16:47 (Ref:3685991)   #11521
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wonder if Ulrich Baretzky will find DTM and Formula E challenging enough to stay onboard Audi Sport, or if he will go the greener pastures with more free engine regulations.

With Audi exiting Le Mans and WEC it has become a lot easier for new manufactures to seize key personal needed to get started. Something which would have been very expensive if they either should be trained from the bottom, or as seen most often, captured from other programs.
Old 6 Nov 2016, 17:37 (Ref:3686002)   #11522
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
I wonder if Ulrich Baretzky will find DTM and Formula E challenging enough to stay onboard Audi Sport, or if he will go the greener pastures with more free engine regulations.
Is there even anything to do in DTM? The engine formula there is ancient, they don't even use direct injection...I don't think there's any development there and the already-developed turbo engines will likely never be introduced due to cost reasons.

Formula E has a very limited development potential as well, so my guess is he will either switch to the road car department, leave, or retire...not the most spring chicken anyways.

Speaking of retirement, Hindy & GG mentioned that one of the Audi drivers will likely go that route. I guess that'll be Fässler then?
Old 6 Nov 2016, 17:42 (Ref:3686003)   #11523
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Speaking of retirement, Hindy & GG mentioned that one of the Audi drivers will likely go that route. I guess that'll be Fässler then?
I think that on MWM they were talking more about Treluyer being on the cusp of retirement, he's apparently got a successful side business to run outside racing so the Audi withdrawal may be the final trigger to move to that full-time.
Old 6 Nov 2016, 17:50 (Ref:3686006)   #11524
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
I think that on MWM they were talking more about Treluyer being on the cusp of retirement, he's apparently got a successful side business to run outside racing so the Audi withdrawal may be the final trigger to move to that full-time.
He also seemed to be the teammate most affected by Duval's LM 2014 crash, and I remember being surprised at how candid he was about his emotional state following the accident. While I can't find the page I read at the time, you can see what I mean on his website, under the Tears of fear subheading.

While Fassler could also retire happily, I think Pratt & Miller will want him to say otherwise. There's always more Rolexes to be won.
Old 6 Nov 2016, 17:54 (Ref:3686007)   #11525
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Both Treluyer and Fässler are 40 years old, like Mark Webber.
Lotterer is only 34.

Fässler has been doing some GT-races alongside his Audi WEC commitments, so he can probably do that on a larger basis if he wants to - with Audi or Corvette?
I can't remember seeing Treluyer in a GT car? (Unless in SuperGT?)